PDA

View Full Version : Shout out for EpicKitesurfing.com

Steve-O
04-03-2007, 09:32 PM
As most of you know, Roy is doing a nice job taking pics and posting on his website of the local kitesurfing scene. Many surfers are disgruntled with the lack of waves this season in the gulf and lots are inquiring about this new sport. Duh!!! Anyways, Gulfster.com is the local surfing scene website. I sent one pic of Josh Taylor at North Beach and they ended up posting Roy's entire website and some great pics at North Beach. I also got a call today from a great local videographer who has produced some of the best local footage of the the gulf surfing scene. He has approached me about doing a DVD of kitesurfing in the bay area of our local amatuers, sponsored riders and our pro. I am not sure of the details of this project yet, but I feel it will be a full length DVD edited by Mike Young with a music track and the like. Again, his surf productions have been top knotch. He especially captured the epic hurricane seasons of 2004 and 2005. Some of the best surfing the gulf has seen in quite awhile.

Usually with his DVD productions he has a big release party at a local bar and a live band. They are usually a ton of fun.

A big thanks to Roy again for his work on capturing the essence of our sport.

Steve-O

shogun1204
04-03-2007, 10:39 PM
My site is on Gulfster!!! Woooo Hooooo!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Steve-O, just love taking the shots. I have a ton from my trip up to Panama City, just need to get around to uploading those shots too!

Skyway Scott
04-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Just post them already Roy. Geez.

Seriously, is it beautiful enough up there that if you were to get skunked on a weekend trip, you wouldn't mind so much?
I have heard the sand and water up there are unreal. Is that true?
How populated/crowded were the beaches?

shogun1204
04-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Yup the water was beautiful. Very clear and had a similar color to Caribbean water. Sand was very similar to the sand at N. Beach. Beach and was not crowed at all. About 10 of us kitting and I would say about 30 surfers. There where people on the beach just there with there familys, but not too bad for spring break at all. A lot of the Waves where easily overhead both days I kited at St. Andrews park. Great trip overall, I should be going up there like once a month so if you ever want to come up Scott just let me know!

BigR
04-04-2007, 05:59 AM
the beaches up there are real real fine white sand, absolutely nobody on the beach usually. Kinda the small dune type beach, the ones I saw up there aern't huge wide like NB but more like maybe 100 feet wide. Nice area, the gulf intercoastal side seems real nice too. green tourquoise type water a bit muddier on the bay side

Umm.. whats the definition of overhead waves?

Skyway Scott
04-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Sounds awesome. I might have to try it.
One more for you or Mark. In summer, does the wind suck as bad as here? Or is that a viable destination to hope for all of ten to twelve knots?

Thanks.

BigR
04-04-2007, 06:09 AM
i gotta feeling the batting ave during summer is better @ MI

toby wilson
04-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Roy knows what overhead waves are Raul. He used to live in Hawaii... :)

I am guessing that he is referring to the back (swell) of the wave...

WindRyder
04-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Saturday and Sunday were definitely memorable in P.C. St. Andrews State Park is great on SE winds. Up next to the jetties, the water is glassy and blue green, and a little further over, the swell comes in and you will have glassy rollers before the wind goes too south. Sunday, the surf was definitely bigger, and you could ride a wave in from the second sandbar into the beach. If it closed out, you could easily find 2 or 3 others to catch on on the way in past all the paddling surfers!!!!The big rollers made for great ramps on the tack out, big air, lots of hang time. Nothing like looking back over your shoulder and seeing the surfers below screaming and yelling at you!!! Even better, when you haul ass past them on a wave from way out. Waves were overhead. From the kiter perspective, the beach disappeared in front of the waves, from the beach perspective, the kiter disappeared and only the kite could be seen. We have a famous break in our pass called Amazons. Amazing spot for waveriding, huge rollers. Surfers paradise when it's on.
As far as summer winds, it sucks like down there. Seabreezes typically end in May, sometimes early June. When the gulf heats up and the land is hot, NO WIND. That's when we hope for a tropical system, or go to Brazil!!!
I will see you guys this weekend!!

invisible
04-04-2007, 11:41 AM
He has approached me about doing a DVD of kitesurfing in the bay area of our local amatuers, sponsored riders and our pro.

It would be great to see Billy Parker in a professional quality video. He doesn't self promote very well (just because he's a nice and humble guy). With a little promotion he could be in the big leagues... he's got the skillz, he just needs to be discovered.

toby wilson
04-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the perspective Linda!

See you this weekend!

WindRyder
04-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Anytime there's wind, you guys come up!! It's beautiful here!!!

toby wilson
04-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Don't worry...we'll be taking you up on that offer!!!