PDA

View Full Version : tuesday

bryanleighty
03-19-2007, 07:25 PM
should be picking up in the afternoon.. everyone going to skyway?
anyone want to hit st. petersburg beach (north of pier ... parking lot on 10th ave N) ???

NOT for beginners.. i launch in the park and walk kite between some trees to get to water.. if the crowds are not there you can launch on beach way up on the far north tip.

cool place to ride but can get hairy if you get caught down wind.. nothing but concrete and DOOM if you get off your line.

inferno
03-19-2007, 07:36 PM
not that anyone else will want to:rolleyes: , but i will be heading to LP for pre-DP tues around 6:30/7am...
-danny

A-Bomb
03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
...and I'll likely be hitting skyway at sun up for an hour or so session.

Skyway Scott
03-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Why wait? It's blowing now :p

A-Bomb
03-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Go for it. Didn't you land on a car one time in the dark there?

Skyway Scott
03-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Ahhh... memories.
No, that was land rover at Tierra Verde. I had been riding about 4 months, just learning to jump. I jumped in solid 25 and well... went quite far... landing on a land rover, ripping it's rear view mirror off and denting it quite well. I was so new to the sport, I thought you went up, then down. I didn't know you went downwind while in the sky.
After I landed, I proceeded to get dragged about 50 yards (no QR).
I always ride underpowered at night now and only around compact cars.

Anyone up for a night session, tomorrow night? Should be epic, maybe all week long at night.

TampaBay Noob
03-19-2007, 11:26 PM
I'll go for a night session tomorrow night. I go to USF St. Pete and will be getting out of class at 9:00pm and LP is just a minute down the road. If you're looking for someone to ride with I'm down. Need to know so I can pack my gear when I head to class tomorrow morning. Let me know bro!

invisible
03-20-2007, 04:11 AM
I have a compact car with new mirrors you can try out

Skyway Scott
03-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Lets meet at 8:30. I have a one glow stick, not a stash of them. I also have a strobe to downwind of things flashing!
It looks like it blew real good last night as Lassing from around 8 30 to 11.

Heck it might seabreeze today as well. I am going to be ready for anything come 5pm. This time of year, anything goes, you just gotta be there when it happens.

TampaBay Noob
03-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Cool. I get out of class at 9:00pm and I can always walk out a little early. I'll try to be at LP by 8:45. I have no glowsticks, and no time to try and buy some. I can just steer clear of you since you'll be lit up and we shouldn't have any problems. I'm sure we'll be the only ones there.

bigairal
03-20-2007, 10:11 AM
hey scott call me about 3-5pm tell me where you are headed...727 420 0598 allen

Skyway Scott
03-20-2007, 10:24 AM
If it is sea breezing, I'll be at Blue Flag across from Dolphin village.
Today looks like sea breeze material to me. The wind is dying fast out at the SW, it already peaked and is on the downswing.
Yesterday it sb'd late. I thought that was out of place.
Today I think it will be earlier and stronger since the east is dying faster.
Pray for zero at SW around 3 (or earlier) and start driving to the beach. :p

Tonight around 9pm still might blow.
Tomorrow night looks like a nuker from the east. Good for lassing.

inferno
03-20-2007, 11:14 AM
check your tides

2007-03-21 11:18 PM EDT -0.45 feet Low Tide

Skyway Scott
03-20-2007, 12:01 PM
It's blowing 20 ENE. I missed that one!! This year is impossible to guess. LOL.

inferno
03-20-2007, 12:08 PM
i guess im gonna stay in town tomorrow since no one wants to go to the east side, ill probably head to LP reall late tonight and stay into the morning till it dies...
i was there this am and it was steady 12-14mph at sunrise, tomorrow should be better :)

Unimog Bob
03-20-2007, 01:43 PM
What is going on! it says it is still blowing 22 at the SW. I'm going to try to duck out early! Who else is in?

Bob

TampaBay Noob
03-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Well I packed up my gear so hopefully when I get outta this place it's still blowin. It's been windy on campus for most of the day....and I'm only a minute from LP. So, maybe we'll be good to go. Keep me updated if anyone else is headed to LP. 727-433-6252 Sean

bryanleighty
03-20-2007, 06:03 PM
hit St. Petersburg beach for hour and half .. good smooth riding.. decent power on 16 waroo w/ lightwind board. lots of big tacks out past the pier to about the airport. groovy groovy.

Skyway Scott
03-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Cool. That's a beautiful area. I have ridden there quite a bit. Kinda cool knowing that everyone in the Columbia restaurant and up top can see you.

It's called Spa beach, no big woop... but you are gonna conpuze a cupple peeple.

North Shore park is another name for it.
Nice out there. Shark capitol of St.Pete too...(no lie).

Is the grassy area (just south of tennis courts) still relatively open for kite rigging/landing?
Or lots of plants/trees in there now?

A-Bomb
03-20-2007, 08:40 PM
That is a fun spot, but it's rarely the right conditions. It seems like it's got to be straight East to work and it's never blowing as hard as it would be at the Skyway or East Beach. I often forget about North Shore, but it's definitely the closest place to my house. I haven't been there at all so far this year. I may have to go get a session soon. One thing is for sure. There's never the problem of too many kiters.

TampaBay Noob
03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
well, so much for the night session.....

toby wilson
03-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Scott,

Isn't the Skyway in like the top 5 spots in the world for shark population? Wouldn't that make the SW the shark capitol of St. Pete too? Correct me if I misunderstood and am wrong, I'm just honestly interested to know...

bryanleighty
03-21-2007, 05:06 AM
ya.. the grassy field by SPA beach is there and you've got TONS of area to rig and launch.. sketchy walk to the beach tho in strong winds .. have to go between trees and volleyball court.. plenty of room, but could get 'interesting' if you took your attention away from the kite for a second.

funny..yesterday i was done and thankfully there was someone else there rigging to land me cuz right in the dead center of the field a woman had setup a lawn chair and was sunbathing.. pretty much the one spot that would interfere with me self landing..

crazy humans.

donster
03-21-2007, 06:04 AM
My comp is down. Logging in as the Donster.

Thanks Bryan. I remember they put in a path on the field and were putting in some small bushes. I didn't know if some bigger plants or trees had been put in too.

I don't know the stats about sharks, in terms of betting on it, but the pier has a ton of guys fishing it all the time and I have seen with my own eyes much larger sharks in that area. I shark fish the SW area a lot in the summer, and yeah, there are sharks there too.
Either way, it doesn't matter to me. Odds are so so low... who cares... ya' know? I night ride out there, so I obviously don't care.
I was mainly trying to be funny. I personally am much more concerned about driving to work today with some dude still asleep and running into me.
That happens nearly every day, it seems.

A guy's daughter was attacked out there about 18 years ago on a day that I was windsurfing the area, so it sticks out in my mind fairly strongly. Maybe that is why I think of the area as having sharks. All areas have sharks I think. I would definitely be more nervous in Australia or South Africa, WHITEY!!

Skyway Scott
03-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Whitey!!