PDA

View Full Version : How the heck?

kiwiar2000
02-24-2007, 09:12 PM
My lines aren't the same length.
I tied all lines together in one fixed pole, and there are some that are longer than the others...
How do I fix this, because I can notice it in my riding!
Thanks!
-Danny

ricki
02-24-2007, 09:26 PM
My lines aren't the same length.
I tied all lines together in one fixed pole, and there are some that are longer than the others...
How do I fix this, because I can notice it in my riding!
Thanks!
-Danny

Just put this up on the other site:

This is normal and will usually happen with new lines and over time. A powered up incident or accident can really make the lines uneven.

The front or leading edge lines take more load than the back or trailing edge lines. Riders should always routinely check lines for relative length. As the front lines lengthen the performance of the kite can become progressively impaired.

With brand new lines it is good to attach all four lines to a fixed point and slide the loops of the far end over a steel rod, large screw driver, harness hook, etc.. Pull slowly until you develop a full load and hold it for a while. Repeat this a few times to try to prestretch the lines.

You can try the above procedure to even up the length of your two shorter lines with the rest. Put the shorter lines on the leading edge and use your leader knots off your bar to try to equalize the effective flight line lengths.

If your lines approach a year or so in age, show any damage or become too uneven despite your efforts, change out your lines. I use some bulk rolls of Q line for this purpose. It works out to be cheaper than Spectra and you don't have to sleave and sew the loops. You can just tie figure 8 knots. Be sure to prestretch the Q line.

kiwiar2000
02-24-2007, 09:41 PM
lol,
i posted right after the other...
I notice that my 5th line(C kite) is longer and always gets in the way.
So what your trying to say is that I connect all the end of my 5 lines to a fix hook, then just pull back my bar for a prestretch...
then, switch the shorter lines with the longer lines and attach them vice-versa on the kite and untie the knots near my bar to equalize them by tying them to another knot?
-Danny

ricki
02-24-2007, 10:34 PM
lol,
i posted right after the other...
I notice that my 5th line(C kite) is longer and always gets in the way.
So what your trying to say is that I connect all the end of my 5 lines to a fix hook, then just pull back my bar for a prestretch...
then, switch the shorter lines with the longer lines and attach them vice-versa on the kite and untie the knots near my bar to equalize them by tying them to another knot?
-Danny

Wasn't thinking that you were using a five line kite. The few that I have tried and liked had a variable length adjustment for the fifth line. I don't think you have one of that variety correct? Yes, that is the procedure. Ideally you reverse pairs of lines although I can't think of a time when two lines in a pair stretched out almost equally from normal use. You might consider rigging your fifth line alone from Q line making future length adjustments easy. Just cut it and retie.

kiwiar2000
02-25-2007, 05:34 PM
my 5th line isnt adjustable, only when connecting it to the kite....
wuts a Q-line?

ricki
02-25-2007, 06:19 PM
You might also price a replacement 5th line for your kite from the manufacturer. More about Q line at:

http://murrays.com/archive/75.pdf