PDA

View Full Version : Where to go? (In Florida, In June)

sparkusmarcus
01-05-2005, 07:21 AM
THinking baout visiting Florida in june of this year for a couple of weeks with my girlfriend. We're both intermediate kitsurfers. Wondering where to go for the most consistent winds?

Let me knwo by e-mailing me on clementsm@halcrow.com

Cheers for any help.

Mark

sparkusmarcus
01-05-2005, 07:21 AM
THinking baout visiting Florida in june of this year for a couple of weeks with my girlfriend. We're both intermediate kitsurfers. Wondering where to go for the most consistent winds?

Let me knwo by e-mailing me on clementsm@halcrow.com

Cheers for any help.

Mark

ricki
01-05-2005, 01:23 PM
If there is any chance of moving your trip up to April or early May, you should consider doing it. "Traditionally" June is one of our calmest wind months of the year. I used to look forward to it for the incredible calm weather and improved visibility for diving over decades. That is before I took up wind sports!

Some years there are thermal winds in the afternoon (just before the lightning starts), particularly in later June and in other years not. In some years there are tropical depressions and tropical depression in addition to wind also have powerful, violent embedded storm cells not uncommonly. Hint: avoid kiteboarding in tropical depressions. The rest of the summer in some years isn't much better. Some years the thermals improve and fill in during July. Often August is even calmer than June but not always. These are gross generalities and for specifics in past years checkout the archives at ikitesurf.com .

No one part of the state appears to fair better than another part of the state in June in terms of wind with the possible exception of the Keys. Still, it gets mighty light down there as well.

This June could be totally different who knows, but these have been the patterns in the past.

ricki
01-05-2005, 01:23 PM
If there is any chance of moving your trip up to April or early May, you should consider doing it. "Traditionally" June is one of our calmest wind months of the year. I used to look forward to it for the incredible calm weather and improved visibility for diving over decades. That is before I took up wind sports!

Some years there are thermal winds in the afternoon (just before the lightning starts), particularly in later June and in other years not. In some years there are tropical depressions and tropical depression in addition to wind also have powerful, violent embedded storm cells not uncommonly. Hint: avoid kiteboarding in tropical depressions. The rest of the summer in some years isn't much better. Some years the thermals improve and fill in during July. Often August is even calmer than June but not always. These are gross generalities and for specifics in past years checkout the archives at ikitesurf.com .

No one part of the state appears to fair better than another part of the state in June in terms of wind with the possible exception of the Keys. Still, it gets mighty light down there as well.

This June could be totally different who knows, but these have been the patterns in the past.