PDA

View Full Version : Cabrinha Press Release - Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion

admin
02-01-2007, 09:52 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: FEBRUARY 1, 2007

Cabrinha dominates the 4th Annual Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion

The 4th annual Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion went OFF last weekend. Congratulations to the Cabrinha Riders that showed up from all over the country and as far away as St. Lucia (Cabrinha rider David Hastilow). Jupiter is well known for its top notch wave riding (including a sometimes gnarly shore break), and high average winds. Jupiter Kiteboarding owner Jeremy Green always seems to know the perfect weekend to attract top level competitors and world class conditions. Each year this event gets better, but what stood out this year more then any other was not something you would expect; it was the local enthusiasm that made the 2007 Jupiter kite invasion the most successful event yet. The local kiteboarders showed up in full cheering force and gave their support to local rider Jon Modica (Cabrinha, Transcend clothing). Armed with his Switchblade and Custom, Modica was on a mission on Saturday and had a huge heat in the semis against Andy Hurdman and Jesse Cors (Cabrinha) to advance into the finals against world cup superstar Damien Leroy (Cabrinha, Black Dog clothing) and stylemaster Dimitri Mareminedes.

In the mens ams , Pompano Beach local Brandon Pelly (Cabrinha) impressed both the judges and competitors throwing powered handlepasses, kite loops, and ripping up the waves on his Switchblade and Custom. Pelly, at only age 16 and kiting for less than one year, is going to be a force to be reckoned with!! His first competiton ever found him landing on the podium – congratulations Brandon!!

Leroy, fresh off of an eight day 30 knot plus adventure in Costa Rica, was on fire the entire event showing moves like kiteloop slim chances and back mobes to blind. Leroy passed on to the finals using his Xbow kite and Custom board to stick nearly everything in his heats. The pro men finals saw the PKRA experience come out in Leroy; his spectacular, jaw dropping back mobe to blind left the judges speachless and the crowd roaring. When asked about the finals Leroy had this to say, “We had lighter gusty conditions in waves – tough for freestyle. Thankfully I was on my Crossbow and I stayed evenly powered throughout my heat; I used my Imperial to get all the pop I needed for my powered moves. With a seasoned competitor like Dimitri, and a local like Jon, you have to pull out all the stops flawlessly to get a victory like this.” We asked local Jon Modica what he thought of the event and he had this to say, “This event was the pinnacle of my career; I think I stuck everything perfect in semis – thanks to my Switchblade and Custom!! There’s nothing better for me than competing with all my buds. I would rather take 3rd place at this Jupiter comp any day over a win at the PKRA”.

Congratulations to Damien, Jon, Brandon, the Cabrinha Riders, and all competitors!
What an event - we’ll see everyone next year!!

Photos and additional info at FKSA: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3121
(thanks to Rick Iossi and FKSA)

Photos: http://www.markhaworthphotography.com/gallery/2400797#P-4-15
(photos by Mark Haworth)

Video: http://www.steenfilms.com/invasion.mov
(thanks to Kevin Steen)

Pro Men
1.Damien Leroy (Cabrinha, Black Dog clothing)
2.Dimitri Maramenides
3.Jon Modica (Cabrinha, Transcend clothing)

Pro Women
1.Melissa Gil
2.Morgan Skipperdene
3.Stacey Fonas

Amateur Men
1.Packet C.
2.Evan Netsch
3.Brandon Pelly (Cabrinha)