PDA

View Full Version : Bar / Harness questions..

bryanleighty
12-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Few more questions from a beginner.

Regarding control bar size. Am I correct to think that a smaller bar means less reaction response on the kite? Wouldnt this be better for a beginner? As kite skills increase and one would want to take more advantage of the kites full range, a larger bar would equal more kite response.
Am I completely off target on this?
Is it more dependant on kite size than skill?

Regarding the harness setup. I would assume that its mostly preference and comfort as the deciding factors. Are there any brands to stay clear of?

As a beginner, I expect to be swimming a lot. Are there lifejackets available to accomodate a waist harness? Lifejacket / Harness combos that anyone can suggest?

Thanks!!

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

bryanleighty
12-22-2004, 11:45 AM

Regarding control bar size. Am I correct to think that a smaller bar means less reaction response on the kite? Wouldnt this be better for a beginner? As kite skills increase and one would want to take more advantage of the kites full range, a larger bar would equal more kite response.

Regarding the harness setup. I would assume that its mostly preference and comfort as the deciding factors. Are there any brands to stay clear of?

As a beginner, I expect to be swimming a lot. Are there lifejackets available to accomodate a waist harness? Lifejacket / Harness combos that anyone can suggest?

Thanks!!

ricki
12-22-2004, 12:13 PM

Bar size, ignoring pulley bars, is largely a function of kite size. Skill can enter into it but very skillful riders generally are even more specific about using the most appropriate gear for the job. You want shorter bars to be able to more finely control smaller kites without overcompensating with too long of a bar. Having too long of a bar with a small, fast kite can actually be dangerous in higher winds. Folks have been accidentally lofted or dragged by using too long a bar with a fast, active smaller kite in higher winds.

With larger kites you need longer bars to give you adequate leverage to turn them. I would talk to your retailer about what size he recommends for the size kite you are trying to get setup for.

Thanks!!

Harness type is somewhat up to personal preference with a few proviso's. First, I would not use a harness designed for windsurfing. I have used quite a few in the past and they don't hold up to the higher loads and strains of kiteboarding for all that long. Also, I have yet to have a kiteboarding harness last much more than a year. Even these reinforced harnesses wear out. DO NOT use an excessively worn harness. Have a harness rip apart mid jump or having your spreader bar rip free and send your kite out of control is NO FUN and could see you injured.

Lots of people like waist harnesses, particularly for some tricks. Then again, quite a few people have complained about back problems (including myself years ago) using waist harnesses that diminish or vanish when they change to seat harnesses. It is up to personal choice and preference but I would not choose a waist harness myself. Lots would disagree.

Regarding an impact vest, I would find a good one and use it. Not just while you are learning but always. Impact vests, although they will not float you face up, necessarily, if you are unconcious, they do several important things. They protect against impact. Myself and several other riders I know would have suffered mutiple broken ribs over time but for impact vests. They also help to keep you warm, give you a place for your keys in some models and contribute some flotation that can help you with waterstarting and perhaps even staying alive some unlucky day.

I do not recommend using most Type I or II PFD for kiteboarding that are currently on the market. You may drowned because a Type III will not float you face up, accept that. Then again the added bulk of a Type I or II can break your neck because of the fulcrum effect. Broken neck or drowning ... tough call. If it helps your decision, high speed impacts against water are a lot more common than accidents resulting in loss of consciousness.

Good questions!

ricki
12-22-2004, 12:13 PM

Bar size, ignoring pulley bars, is largely a function of kite size. Skill can enter into it but very skillful riders generally are even more specific about using the most appropriate gear for the job. You want shorter bars to be able to more finely control smaller kites without overcompensating with too long of a bar. Having too long of a bar with a small, fast kite can actually be dangerous in higher winds. Folks have been accidentally lofted or dragged by using too long a bar with a fast, active smaller kite in higher winds.

With larger kites you need longer bars to give you adequate leverage to turn them. I would talk to your retailer about what size he recommends for the size kite you are trying to get setup for.

Thanks!!

Harness type is somewhat up to personal preference with a few proviso's. First, I would not use a harness designed for windsurfing. I have used quite a few in the past and they don't hold up to the higher loads and strains of kiteboarding for all that long. Also, I have yet to have a kiteboarding harness last much more than a year. Even these reinforced harnesses wear out. DO NOT use an excessively worn harness. Have a harness rip apart mid jump or having your spreader bar rip free and send your kite out of control is NO FUN and could see you injured.

Lots of people like waist harnesses, particularly for some tricks. Then again, quite a few people have complained about back problems (including myself years ago) using waist harnesses that diminish or vanish when they change to seat harnesses. It is up to personal choice and preference but I would not choose a waist harness myself. Lots would disagree.

Regarding an impact vest, I would find a good one and use it. Not just while you are learning but always. Impact vests, although they will not float you face up, necessarily, if you are unconcious, they do several important things. They protect against impact. Myself and several other riders I know would have suffered mutiple broken ribs over time but for impact vests. They also help to keep you warm, give you a place for your keys in some models and contribute some flotation that can help you with waterstarting and perhaps even staying alive some unlucky day.

I do not recommend using most Type I or II PFD for kiteboarding that are currently on the market. You may drowned because a Type III will not float you face up, accept that. Then again the added bulk of a Type I or II can break your neck because of the fulcrum effect. Broken neck or drowning ... tough call. If it helps your decision, high speed impacts against water are a lot more common than accidents resulting in loss of consciousness.

Good questions!

bryanleighty
12-22-2004, 12:21 PM
thanks for the quick response..

which seat harness do you use?
is there a big difference between the windsurfing seat harness and kiteboard seat harness?

thanks again for the info!

bryanleighty
12-22-2004, 12:21 PM

is there a big difference between the windsurfing seat harness and kiteboard seat harness?

ricki
12-22-2004, 12:23 PM

I have gone through quite a few in six years. Currently I am using seat harnesses from Dakine, Cabrinha and soon from ProLimit.

I have had two windsurfing harnesses fail while I was out kiteboarding, once in mid jump. They are not sufficiently reinforced for kiteboarding and present a hazard to kiteboarders and surrounding bystanders if they are used. HINT- don't use windsurfing harnesses for kiteboarding.

ricki
12-22-2004, 12:23 PM

I have gone through quite a few in six years. Currently I am using seat harnesses from Dakine, Cabrinha and soon from ProLimit.

I have had two windsurfing harnesses fail while I was out kiteboarding, once in mid jump. They are not sufficiently reinforced for kiteboarding and present a hazard to kiteboarders and surrounding bystanders if they are used. HINT- don't use windsurfing harnesses for kiteboarding.

bryanleighty
12-22-2004, 12:26 PM
damn you are fast to respond!

thanks again!

bryanleighty
12-22-2004, 12:26 PM
damn you are fast to respond!

thanks again!