PDA

View Full Version : MN Flatwater Flyer coming to the Keys

jerryw
01-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Heh,

I'm living in MN and am traveling to Islamorada for the month of Feb. I'll be staying just up the road from Anne's Beach. Anyone know if Brad is still in business at Whale Harbor?

What are some other good places to ride in that area? How about Curry Hammock State Park? I've heard Plum Beach is good down in Marathon.

I'll be looking to ride with folks during the month.

I hope the wind holds.

Tired of snow kiting (no snow),
Jerry

AEsco48
01-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Send me a PM and ill give you Mikes info...

kabo123
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Riding has been great down here, brad is still at whale harbor. If you want to ride a north wind down here in marathon get in touch with me.

kevin
________
Dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org/)

wifirewire
01-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Just rode there last weekend, Brad is still there. But if you don't mind driving about another hour south, there is a better spot at MM56. It's called Curry Hammocks Park and the launch is MUCH better than Whale Harbor, also there aren't as many 'impalement objects' sticking out of the water.

dustin

kiwiar2000
01-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Is it typical to see "objects" sticking out of the water in Islamorada?

golden cobia
01-30-2007, 08:09 PM
personally I much rather prefer cocoplum beach in Marathon than curry hammock. no big rocks along the coast. Cocoplum is a pretty cool spot that few people know about. And really if you want the sweetest keys kiting spot drive down to Bahia Honda (mm 35 or so). and go to their beach on the East end. really really cool place. but need true East, SE, S, SW wind. wont work for typical winter north winds.

flylow
01-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Just left the area when the wind went west. No location that I could find for a launch. Great day at Whale Harbor...but as said before...no self launch area.
Didn't do a boat launch but I guess that's the ticket for the Keys. Rent a boat and hope your lines are correct? Do you pump the sail up before going in 20 knot winds? Suggestions for the Keys...or just boat it? Cocoa Plum? Beach area looked good but again restricted to easterly winds? Disappointed.

kabo123
01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
there are several launches in the middel key with a nort to west wind. most require atleast a kayak. If you live down here or you are going to be in town awhile pm me and I'll set you up.

kevin
________
JuicyNicky (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/JuicyNicky/)

kiwiar2000
01-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Yes, Iv heard Bahia Honda is a really nice place(Formerly ranked 2nd best beach in the US)