PDA

View Full Version : Kite Repair help

miamijose
01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
I was inspecting my kite yesterday and found that I have two quarter size tears, there were barely noticeable. Any suggestions on how I can fix them, or anyone know someone in Miami that can fix it. Thanks
jose

ricki
01-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I was inspecting my kite yesterday and found that I have two quarter size tears, there were barely noticeable. Any suggestions on how I can fix them, or anyone know someone in Miami that can fix it. Thanks
jose

For temporary repairs you could try sail repair tape from West Marine. Depending on where the damage is it is possible that things might become worse during use however even with adhesive patches. Best bet is to have them professionally repaired with sewn patches. Miguel with http://www.bigkite.net does repairs in Miami.

kiwiar2000
01-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Yes, sail's tape is really durable, for only wut 11 bucks? You will see they are durable and tough.
Just remember to place it on the top AND on the bottom as well.(Rince before accordingly).
-Danny

AEsco48
01-17-2007, 05:55 AM
I had the same thing, and did a glue and tape fix, i bought Kitefix sail repair tape from The Kite Shop and Aqual seal/seam grip from Jets outdoors (and the accelerator).... clean the area, place scotch tape on one side of cut... apply small amount aqua seal on and around the cut... dry... aqua seal other side... place sail tape over it on both sides (make sure you round any corners of the sail tape patch, bigger then the area with glue, the patch on the inside of the kite make it larger then the patch on the outside, like the inside patch the size of a quarter and the outside patch the size of a penny...porportionaly that much bigger..).... the aqua seal is very strong, stronger then the canopy itself in every way... the tape just becomes asthetic.... i also tested and the sail tape adheres better to the canopy if you use a moderately hot iron to press it in...

I talked to like 4 repair centers before i did it to get quotes....and all of them said that for cuts under like 2" its not worth stitching...some of them were just going to put sail tape over it, others were going to do a glue/tape repair.... did it myself. Let me know if you have any questions, Also try searching on other forums for advice...

HIGHFLYN
01-17-2007, 11:13 AM
I agree with the other postings, Sail Tape is some amazing stuff. Just make sure you get the REAL DEAL. West Marine used to have it. But I haven't been able to get it from there anymore. The manafacture is Mariner's Choice Sail Tape.

I had an entire panel on my 12m X3 torn like a giant "Z" from a runaway kite that a telephone pole was more then happy to reach out and grab for me. I figured my day/kite was toast. I went home and with'n a 1/2hour I had it back together and was riding that day. It held for over a complete season and when I sold the kite was still good to go.

Sail tape is a MUST in your repair kit. If you find a place that still has the Mariner's Choice Sail Tape for sale. Please post your findings

Another option, as posted above is a kit made by KITEFIX. Retail for the small kit I believe is around 45 USD and it can be purchased from REAL Kiteboarding in NC. I had the opportunity to kite with one of the partners from this company (KITEFIX a Canadian company) last year, Great guy and his product really works. He layed a few samples on us and I unfortunatlly had to use it on a LE gash I picked up @ Anne's beach. Repair came out great and so far so good. But this might be overkill on a canopy repair.

Good Luck~

kiwiar2000
01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
The one in WestMarine that I currently own and I believe they still stock on is SailRIPair Tape (The words are correct, just how they are)
-Danny

miamijose
01-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the info and advice. Since the tears are small, I’ll repair them myself, I have purchased the KITEFIX kit from Real kiteboarding, it should arrive soon, meanwhile I going to check out west marine to buy some Sail Tape. and I’ll post my results.

By the way, Aeaco48 can I find the aqua seal also at west marine?

AEsco48
01-18-2007, 08:13 PM
dont believe west marine has aqua seal, might have a similar item but no real way of knowing how similar it is till you try it....also any dive shop will have aqua seal/seam grip

if you bough the kitfix kit it brings glue right?

miamijose
01-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info. the KITEFIX kit was going to take a while to ship so i bought some seam grip and sail tape, (couldn't find the mariners choice sail tape).

I first cleaned the area with some alcohol swaps. Then I used masking tape to hold the material from the inside, I brushed seam grip around the outside part of the tear, waited 4 hours did the same other side. After 24 hours I applied the sail tape.
12 hours later I was at Matheson Hammock with 15 knots winds having a great time, the repair held up,
Check out the pics attached
Thanks for the info, especially AEsco48 ,

Jose B
Pura Vida

AEsco48
01-30-2007, 01:53 PM
cool