PDA

View Full Version : I survived Leeside NW 10-26mph

Dix
12-19-2004, 07:51 PM
With a forcast of 25kts gusting to galeforce winds you factor in the wind dampening effect of the Destin Triangle phenomena and you end up with 10mph gusting to 26mph. Not too bad, better than nothing I guess.

Had to rig small for best case, so went with the FS Spirit 14m with mutation settings for high wind and gusts.

At 1200 the wind was just picking up to 15mph, so started with a Slingshot LFB 6' kitewave directional. The shops are dumping them! Picked up a demo model for $150 last week.
The LFB is a pure wave directional. The 4 surfboard style fins dig in and easily hold power, while the wide flat bottom plans early and picks up speed nicely. Clocked 21mph on the GPS without a strain, very stable, but when you go to crank a turn it abliges aggressively on a quick carving track. Easiest board I've had for toe-side, surfing waves will be a joy, can't wait for S winds on the Gulf.

By 1 o'clock gusts picked up to 20ish, so returned to shore for the 135cmx45- 5mm concave - 6 fin combo of JL speed fins and LeBoe 1.75s.
The long gusts were just enough to dash a little upwind, then setup for jumps.

Very choppy air, and gusts seemed to pick up the closer I got to Hwy 98, so i kept a good 100m buffer, still scary though.

Around 3 o'clock the gusts became ridiculous as thermals marked by low cumulous drifted across the bay, adding more chop to the city triggered turbulence.

Called it quits, returned to the launch spot and had to QR to leash as the gusts got worse.

Not a bad session though, GPS showed a top speed of 25.6mph and covered 20.5 miles working a 1 mile track.

A bit of a toe numbing day, but sunny clear skys took the edge off.

Still looking for a better NW winds spot,
- Dix

Dix
12-19-2004, 07:51 PM
With a forcast of 25kts gusting to galeforce winds you factor in the wind dampening effect of the Destin Triangle phenomena and you end up with 10mph gusting to 26mph. Not too bad, better than nothing I guess.

Had to rig small for best case, so went with the FS Spirit 14m with mutation settings for high wind and gusts.

At 1200 the wind was just picking up to 15mph, so started with a Slingshot LFB 6' kitewave directional. The shops are dumping them! Picked up a demo model for $150 last week.
The LFB is a pure wave directional. The 4 surfboard style fins dig in and easily hold power, while the wide flat bottom plans early and picks up speed nicely. Clocked 21mph on the GPS without a strain, very stable, but when you go to crank a turn it abliges aggressively on a quick carving track. Easiest board I've had for toe-side, surfing waves will be a joy, can't wait for S winds on the Gulf.

By 1 o'clock gusts picked up to 20ish, so returned to shore for the 135cmx45- 5mm concave - 6 fin combo of JL speed fins and LeBoe 1.75s.
The long gusts were just enough to dash a little upwind, then setup for jumps.

Very choppy air, and gusts seemed to pick up the closer I got to Hwy 98, so i kept a good 100m buffer, still scary though.

Around 3 o'clock the gusts became ridiculous as thermals marked by low cumulous drifted across the bay, adding more chop to the city triggered turbulence.

Called it quits, returned to the launch spot and had to QR to leash as the gusts got worse.

Not a bad session though, GPS showed a top speed of 25.6mph and covered 20.5 miles working a 1 mile track.

A bit of a toe numbing day, but sunny clear skys took the edge off.

Still looking for a better NW winds spot,
- Dix