PDA

View Full Version : Kite Trip Presidents Day Weekend - Need A Head Count Asap

toby wilson
12-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Amber and I are organizing a kite trip to the keys during Presidents Day weekend. We will both be taking Tuesday, February 20th off of work as we have Monday, February 19th off for Presidents Day as a holiday. That will give us a full 3 days of kiting in the keys if we leave after work on Friday evening!

Several kiters are already going to join us and we are now working on accomodations. We will be splitting the cost of rooms and just crashing everywhere we can find some space on the floor. We wanted to go camping on Bahia Honda, but all campsites for that weekend are already booked so we need to hurry up and get booked. All are welcome, the only requirement being that we all chip in for the room(s).

Please let us know if you are interested no later than Sunday, 12/31/2006 and we can iron the final details out ASAP. Sorry for the late notice but this should be a great trip!!! Again we plan on leaving Friday night, 2/16/2007 and driving back up on Tuesday, 2/20/2007.

We could also start having some other great community-wide trips to say the Outer Banks, Texas, The Great Lakes, The Gorge, California, Bahamas, Mexico, etc.

Hope to see you all down there, it would be great to go someplace to kite with ALL of my kiting pals from our area!

-Toby

bryanleighty
12-29-2006, 12:02 PM
toby..
where are you planning on staying?
i might be in on this ..
get me all details..

thanks!

-B

toby wilson
12-29-2006, 12:04 PM
We are still working on that but we really need a head count first. We have some friends down there, there is always the kite house cabin, and other hotels but we need to act quickly so everything does not book up. For all I care I could be a beach bum for the weekend and crash on the beach but I don't think that the ladies would be cool with that...

Also, Amber used to work at a place called Sea Camp where kids learn about marine animals during their summer or on school trips. She could call them and I think the accomodations are like $10 a night...bunkbeds though. We'd have to see how much room they have right now though.

shogun1204
12-29-2006, 12:22 PM
I am so in!

amber
12-29-2006, 02:49 PM
I know everyone wants details before they commit. Unfortunately, details can only be arranged after we know how many people we are accomodating. I lived on Big Pine Key for a year and know the lower keys pretty well. I know the places to go on Duval street in Key West VERY well. All I can promise is that it will be a fun weekend. We are hoping to hook up with Paul Menta before the trip to arrange riding spots. If for some reason there isn't wind everyday, I can guide everyone around the keys to some amazing spots including the reef. (the most beautiful place I've ever been). Anyway, jump in on the trip and we will plan a great getaway. I hate last minute stuff and since its in-season.(and a holiday weekend)..its a necessity to book a place because I know that many places are already full...including the campground!! (there's a KOA Kampground down there too, but a tent site is about 56 bucks, so we want to explore all of our options. We might be towing the boat with us as well...details will be ironed out asap!!!

if you have any questions, PM either Toby or myself or give us a call...

amber
12-29-2006, 02:55 PM
For those of you who are faithful visitors to the backside, you'll be excited to know that Key West has one of the best gay scenes in the US!!! There's a drag show across the street from Crabby Dick's Restaurant that is fun to watch from the balcony of the restaurant. the girls out front are quite the lookers!! Get excited Roy...

shogun1204
12-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Funny! Very Funny!

JoshTaylor
12-29-2006, 11:23 PM
i MIGHT be in.. if i have NO absentses up untill that day and have some money i'm definitly in.

Woodson
01-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Toby,

Funny I ran across this, as I had just finished a dialogue with Paul Mentas down in Key West about coming down for my b'day first week of February.

If you still have a group going, let me know the specific dates...

Easier, I'll give you and ring after work today...

Hope you guys had a good holiday season...

toby wilson
01-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Yep, it's still on! Looks like we will have about 8-10 people on the trip so far (if all decide to come). It should be a blast!!!:cool:

We are going to see if a friend of Amber's can put the group up for the long weekend but if not we will be looking into getting 2 hotel rooms and just all splitting the cost to keep it cheap. We'll hopefully get wind every day and may be towing the boat down to ride the flats every day and have TONS of flat water all to ourself all day long!!! It is gonna rock as long as it blows!!!

toby wilson
01-02-2007, 04:59 PM
UPDATE!!!

We have secured FREE accomodations for all that would like to go on this trip. As long as you don't mind sleeping on the floor. You can bring air mattresses, blankets, etc. to make yourselves more comfortable. The great thing about this is that the place we will be staying will be right in Key West, perfect for launching the boat and shooting straight out each morning to the flats to ride all day and back to the bars (after we all pitch in to clean the boat...hint, hint) on Duval Street each night!!!

This trip is gonna be cheap and fun!!!

TritonKiteboarding
01-03-2007, 10:36 AM
im down if its not too late, i'll bring all my clubs gear including LF party island and such, bunch of new boards, i could get my own accomodations too if your already too packed

toby wilson
01-03-2007, 10:49 AM
No way man, don't get other accomodations, you are more than welcome to join the group Matt!!! The more the merrier, glad you're coming...this is gonna be a blast!!!

Kamikazi
01-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Where you will be staying?

toby wilson
01-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Amber lived on Big Pine Key 2 years ago. She has lots of friends in the Keys and her friend Naomi said she would put us all up on her floor. Bring a blanket, pillow and air mattress if you decide to come and let us know ASAP if you decide you are coming so we can give her an approximate number as to what to expect...

A room in the keys with 2 double beds is running $189 per night for that weekend...the floor for free sounds like music to my ears!!! :)

Cborges
01-09-2007, 07:04 PM
I am in and so is Ashton ...my boyfriend..cant wait!!

toby wilson
01-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Sweet Demi! Looks like the trip just keeps growing!!! :)

That makes almost 10 confirmed and I am waiting for word on 3-5 more...

Woodson
01-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Making sure you got me down... Loner from Atlanta... Looking forward to it...

toby wilson
01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
You know it bro...so far we have 8 total confirmed with 3-5 maybes...

amber
02-07-2007, 08:02 AM
I just talked to Naomi last night(my friend who we're staying with) and she's psyched we're coming. She just moved into a new place. its a condo across the street from Smather's Beach and has a pool. Its kinda filled with old people but naomi already has plans to hijak a motorized wheel chair when drunk and do some laps. Anyway, there are two couches and she has one air mattress. TOby and I have an air mattress too.

Now all we have to do is pray for wind. If its dead one day, I'll take everyone on a boat trip to Looe Key. (IMO the most beautiful reef in the keys) So bring your dorkel gear if you have it. I used to take kids out there, so I can tell you all about the crazy critters we'll see. (on a good day...sharks, turtles, spotted eagle rays, etc).

Later this week/weekend we will need to figure out drivers, etc. So keep checking this thread for more info. I can't wait!!!!!

Happy kiting...

toby wilson
02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
By the way, applications are still being taken for someone to be my kite bitch during the trip...

But seriously, this is gonna rock! Ray Leroy, Eclipse and Skywalker team rider may be driving down and joining us on Monday and Tuesday from Naples as well...

A-Bomb
02-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I will go ONLY under the circumstances that I can be Toby's kite bitch and board caddy. Just kidding!

Sounds like fun, but I'm actually just a "maybe" at this point. It depends on a few things. I'll get back in touch if I can make it and to make sure there's still room.

I haven't gone to the keys for kiteboarding yet, but have been wanting to. It seems like they almost always have good wind.

toby wilson
02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
You are more than welcome Adam! We have more than enough room for you bro!!! Especially if you want to be my kite bitch and board caddy!!!

TritonKiteboarding
02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Mike Hall and probobly one other club member will be coming with me in my truck, we're gonna be teaching lessons this weekend (wind permitting), and we'll be happy to help anyone out while were down there too, with equiptment instruction or whatever.

Technochick
02-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I have a full size aero bed that anyone is welcome to borrow for the trip.

http://www.sitincomfort.com/aerobed.html

RKITEKT
02-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Ok... I was in... til I read this... LOL

For those of you who are faithful visitors to the backside, you'll be excited to know that Key West has one of the best gay scenes in the US!!! There's a drag show across the street from Crabby Dick's Restaurant that is fun to watch from the balcony of the restaurant. the girls out front are quite the lookers!! Get excited Roy...

wifirewire
02-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Hey all, this is it.... the last work week till the kite trip w00t!!

Me and CJ are still definitely in, but just want to confirm the boat situation. I'm planning to bring my waverunner...there will be a place to park and launch it, right?

-
dustin

amber
02-12-2007, 10:09 AM
yes, if we can't keep it at Naomi's condo, her parents live on a neighboring key, so we can always keep it at their house. There are public launches.

shawnwar4586
02-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Im in

amber
02-12-2007, 06:09 PM
okay. just got a message from naomi. Her and her roommates are pretty much the only non-senior citizens living in her condo building. I guess they have already had people complain and they've only lived there for a week. So... what i will ask for up front is respect. we are staying in the home of one of my best friends and i expect everyone to treat it like their own. She is very generously offering to host 10-15 people she has never even met at her house and all that I ask is that you respect her and her home. We will have plenty of time to party at the bars so when we're at her house, its kind of our crashing pad...not the party pad. She is bartending on Saturday night on Duval street so that will be a guaranteed good time. Sunday looks windy so sunday night we'll all probably be exhausted and want a good meal and a shower. All I am doing is basically begging everyone to act like adults and be gracious and appreciative of my friend. Hotel rooms are running 200 bucks a night for two double beds 30 miles up the keys. we are VERY lucky to have a place to stay and just remember that we are all adults (okay...most of us) and lets not embarrass ourselves by acting rude and disrepectful. thanks. i'm not trying to bitch...i just want to avoid problems.

She is going to try to figure out parking arrangements for us. please RSVP on the other thread or this one so we know for sure how many cars, boats, people, etc.
thanks!!!

toby wilson
02-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I will be bringing my 19' Sea Ray Sundeck as well. We should have plenty of watercraft to get us around...

TritonKiteboarding
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
me and my guys can get accomodations elsewhere probobly if its too crowded

Cborges
02-12-2007, 08:44 PM
counting the dayzzzzzz...and prayin for wind. Cant wait to ride again...
CJ

toby wilson
02-13-2007, 04:34 AM
Don't be crazy Matt, we are all good, we just can't be TOO loud. I am sure we don't have to act like we are geriatrics or anything, we'll just be living amongst a ton of them so we need to respect that at night their hearing aids seem to amplify noise x 1000 while in the day you can be yelling directly into their eardrum and they won't even hear ya!!!

All are welcome, Amber just doesn't want to be that friend that got her pal thrown out of her place!