PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the flooding situation at Matheson

JustinZ
12-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I have a question for the Matheson regulars out there.

I first began kiteboarding this past summer at Matheson. One day I was leaving and the roads to get out had flooded so bad with salt water that it did some damage to my engine. Since then I have been only riding at Crandon and sometimes behind my apt building on Miami Beach.

I really would love to go back and kite at Matheson. Now that I know how to ride, I have been craving those glassy flat waters. Does anyone know if they fixed the roads there yet? If not, is there a way to tell when it will be bad because I know the tide there changes throughout each month?

-Justin

BigIan
12-11-2006, 10:52 AM
http://iwave.rsmas.miami.edu/surf/

click on the link above for nws tide information, high tide means flooding, and they seem to be fixing the problem, although I have not been much as of late when I have been they are redoing the roads.

AEsco48
12-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Yea they are fixing the roads...i went yesterday...called the park and was told that the hight tide right now is like at 2.1 feet @ 1:50pm...and you need like 2.5 feet for the roads to get flooded....im heading out there this afternoon...

kiwiar2000
12-11-2006, 05:59 PM
check the high tides.... the road looks like crap....But keep in mind, your surrounded by mangroves!!! It will flood because they are next to see, and just sips through the road.
how wus it andres?

JustinZ
12-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks for all the tips on Matheson.

I just got back from there and man was it awesome. The wind was blowing way strong and the water was glass as usual. I was perfectly powered up on my crossbow 12. The best part about it - no man-o-war jellyfish like they have at Crandon.

Now I remember why I love riding at Matheson.

kiwiar2000
12-12-2006, 10:18 AM
great to hear the stoked news. Its been a longtime favorite for all local riders.
Im guessing that its gonna get cold an time sooner, gotta pull my wetsuit out and suit up.

AEsco48
12-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Justin, you mentioned you have been riding in south beach...where exactly?

JustinZ
12-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Well usually I ride at Crandon or Matheson (where I learned to kite back in June) because I am used to those spots and I like to ride where there are other kiters.

I live on Collins Ave at 52nd street in Miami Beach and there are usually very few people if any on the beach behind my building. The beach is wide there which makes for a good launch and sometimes there is a nice sandbar about 250 feet off shore. I recently started to go out back and ride around myself. Iv'e been over to 87th street a few times since a lot of people kite there but I find the conditions behind my building to be a bit better.

I hope to do a downwinder soon from 87th to 51st - seems to be a pretty straightforward run without too many obstacles - mabe I can even do it a few times in one day - although my wife may get sick of driving me back up to 87th all day. Anyway, I will definately post it when I do it in case anyone wants to join. I don't think I am ready for the big downwinder this Sunday all the way to Matheson but I am sure I will get there eventually.

-Justin

AEsco48
12-13-2006, 04:07 AM
oh ok...i though you were riding in the intercostal...