PDA

View Full Version : EXTREME DOWN WIND RACE... HOW MUCH DID YOU LOOSE?

kent
12-11-2006, 09:53 AM
It would be interesting to see how much gear got lost during the race.

My total are:

1 camel pack
1 Navman GPS

I understand that Andy Hurdman lost his camel pack and cell phone.

Any other gear floating around out there?

Kent

C. Moore
12-11-2006, 10:01 AM
The only thing I lost was my pride and a $100.00 for the cab ride. :oops:

oc xrated
12-11-2006, 10:03 AM
LOL Classic Chris, But no way did you lose your pride you went out there and did it which is more then i can say, but next year all you guys are in trouble im in like flint. :twisted:

C. Moore
12-11-2006, 10:09 AM
I also learned that 2 small waffles and a redbull is not considered a nutrional breakfast.

kent
12-11-2006, 10:33 AM
I almost forgot... Jon Modica lost his cookies about 20 miles into the race. He was able to regroup though and finish well on an 8 meter and directional.

Kent

ricki
12-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Hope Jon gets his cookies back! Well, only if he wants them.

I heard about two guys who lost boards. One had to swim in from about a mile off Delray after his kite committed Sepuku. That is a story all in itself.

BigIan
12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
i lost............

- skin on myback from my 1mm top with the zipper on the back being conviently located between my harness and my skin.

- skin on my ankles and feet from wearing bindings

- a cell phone, well i still have it, some how my waterproof pelican case was not so waterproof.

- a bit of my pride as I was far more exhausted then I figured and I relized that bindings and a stiff wakeboard style board arent always the best tool.

- weight probably, however that was quickly gained back from the massive quanitiy of pizza and beer consumed to recuperate.

- feeling in my hands and feet at various times. as well as use of my right knee after hiting a wave wrong.

- count of how many songs I tried to remember while riding.

- and i lost my cookies in a similar fashion to jon on the way, i dunno if it was malnurishmet being exhausted or just flat out seasicknes from the waves bouncing me up and down the whole way.

- Ian

kent
12-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Great story Ian. I know what you are talking about with respect to the bindings... when we did Cuba back in 2001 or so, I used hyperlite 30-60's. They were the most uncomfortable ever. Although the ride was only 90 miles, the seas were 10-14 against an adverse current of probably 2 knots. We used C kites with little depower in way too much wind. The ride went by in 8 hrs and 48 minutes (we had a few mishaps along the way that slowed our progress), but we were actually on the water for 10 hrs 30 mins. My chins and cafes were smoked. I had chafed the fronts and backs by nearly a ¼ inch. Won’t do that again…

Ian, how did your abs feel? I remember mine being killed due to all of the falls. At one point in route to Cuba I think that I fell nearly 30 times in a 2 mile span. Pulling your board back after every fall is tough on the abs in boots.

Big thanks to Neil for giving us good games to play!

C. Moore
12-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I used Kent's advice for water proofing my phone. I used 2 condoms and wrapped it up tightly. The phone survived the whole ordeal. Although sand stuck to the phone for a few hours until the lubrication wore off. I couldn't find non lubricated ones and I wasn't about to use ribbed condoms. :shock:

kent
12-11-2006, 12:04 PM
hold on a sec... i didn't recommend the rubbers. i think that was rick i. i can see how the lub might gum it up a bit.

Kent

C. Moore
12-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Oops. it was JimB. Thanks JimB for the tip. No pun intened of course. :D

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=3346

stacey
12-11-2006, 01:27 PM
1) 07 brand new custom-rigged 55cm Best bar (the photographer found a Naish bar I think, not a Best bar) ... stupidly left behind on the beach.

2) a CTI2 custom knee brace - it slipped off my leg and dug a hole into my foot ... so when my footstrap broke and I washed into shore about a halfmile north of the Delray checkpoint, I chucked it off, thinking I'd get it later ... but of course it was gone by the time I got back

3) A pump.

4) A bag for the 13m Waroo I lent someone.

5) A wrecked leading edge of the 13m Waroo I lent someone, along with a trashed bar, lines, and HP leash.

6) the check for the prize money!!!! put it in my little Hooley bag, and now it is GONE! NO - CANCEL THAT, FALSE ALARM. FOUND IT :)

C. Moore
12-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Aw. Stacey. I feel for you girl. You forgot to put:

Being the only woman to finish, priceless. :D

stacey
12-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah, you're right ... I'm so negative 8) I forgot to add the new Viking surfboard to the other side of the scale, and the wetsuit, and ...

But ... I'm just feeling really wiped out. Is anyone else getting progressively worse as the day goes by, or is it just me? I could've easily kited with Kent to Miami after the race, but couldn't sleep at ALL on Saturday night ... had horribly vivid dreams ... and now today ... I want to go kiting later on, but I'm not sure if I can drag myself out there ...

Neil 1
12-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Stacey, I can replace your check. You rock. Neil

latino
12-11-2006, 04:41 PM
The only thing I lost was my pride and a $100.00 for the cab ride. :oops:

that cab driver made a lot of f......ing money saturday / they took 100
from me too :roll:

latino
12-11-2006, 04:50 PM
neil , please tell me how the calculation for carrying $50.00.
came about because i was $50.00 bucks short. im pretty shore i was in
or close to check point and not in frigging cuba. those cab drivers are
some happy s,o,b, right now.

C. Moore
12-11-2006, 04:56 PM
My cab driver had the biggest smile on his face while we sat in traffic for 30 minutes. :?

BigIan
12-11-2006, 06:40 PM
yea my board was just straight up too stiff great for pop and hitting waves as kickers not good for going the distance. Yea my binding was angled wrong direction for sure. Yea my abs killed me from bring the board back under me i only took my feet out at delray and took a 15 min break because i couldnt feel them and i tweaked my knee so bad from hitting a wave wrong. It sucked I couldnt ride nearly as fast as I wanted to, but hell of a a good time for my first downwind race, now I know what to change. I ride the ocean very little mostly flat water.. I really noticed the difference in strategy it added about 30 mins plus when I decied it was a good idea to take the outside line and not the inside line through the surf really took too much time to be on hte outside.
- Ian

Oliver B
12-11-2006, 07:38 PM
First off I just wanted to thank Neil and Rick for making this race possible. Nuf Respect!! I lost one thing only and that was the leash I had around my board. Other than that I didn't loose anything else other than my fear of big waves. Having never ridden on the east coast I was super stoked at how big the waves were but I had to pass up some of the most beautiful barrels I have ever seen. Over all I had a great time!! I leaned a very valuable lesson though... Eat more than a banana and train more! I was beat after the race. Thanks to everyone who participated and I can’t wait until the next race!! See you all there.

ricki
12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
I didn't manage to lose anything luckily enough. Although, I did guzzle down 2 l from my camel pak way too fast. Thought about tanking up in Delray or Pompano but figured, why stop.

Regarding breakfasts, I wouldn't recommend scarfing a Mickey D's big breakfast on the way to the beach either. I didn't toss it up, but then again, maybe I should have?!

The guys that were racked over the coals by the cabbies, you have my total sympathy. Next time we'll have to figure out a way of fielding some recovery vehicles.

I was wondering about the Portuguese Man-O-War. We have had an unusual lack of these jellyfish this winter pretty much until the last few days when the population of smaller floats has exploded. I know Neil suffered a pretty bad dosing yesterday. How about during the race, did anyone have problems with stings? Last year we had a rider go into shock after getting hit on his foot and ankle on the way to Bimini. They had to haul ass back to Miami and get him to the hospital.

stacey
12-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Regarding breakfasts, I wouldn't recommend scarfing a Mickey D's big breakfast on the way to the beach either. I didn't toss it up, but then again, maybe I should have?!

Hope this isn't too graphic for polite company, but Brandon had one of those breakfasts ... after swallowing so much salt water, he got sick, and then saw his Egg McMuffin going by ...

Which was great news for the sharks and seagulls. "Hey ... let's follow this guy ... he has Egg McMuffins ..... maybe he's got some McGridles next .." :)