PDA

View Full Version : bahamas in january/february

willworkforwind
11-30-2006, 09:30 AM
hey can ya hep a brotha out,

planning a trip from oregon to the islands and trying to get the pulse before we go. would like to stay away from the whole tour thang.

my idea is to catch some air into spanish wells or cat island and wander as the wind blows, we have about 3 weeks in late january. so, from my better informed friends on the right coast, any ideas about:
-wind during this time frame? 50-60% kiteable or better? or should we just head to cabarete?
-inter island travel. i know there are fast ferries that run island to island. anybody wandered about over there using these admittedly expensive boats?

is it likely one can wander in and find digs :D , or are we locked into reservations :(
thanks ahead of time, and any answeres to questions i dont know to ask is also appreciated.

jimmi

ricki
11-30-2006, 02:28 PM
hey can ya hep a brotha out,

planning a trip from oregon to the islands and trying to get the pulse before we go. would like to stay away from the whole tour thang.

my idea is to catch some air into spanish wells or cat island and wander as the wind blows, we have about 3 weeks in late january. so, from my better informed friends on the right coast, any ideas about:
-wind during this time frame? 50-60% kiteable or better? or should we just head to cabarete?
-inter island travel. i know there are fast ferries that run island to island. anybody wandered about over there using these admittedly expensive boats?

is it likely one can wander in and find digs :D , or are we locked into reservations :(
thanks ahead of time, and any answeres to questions i dont know to ask is also appreciated.

jimmi

Hello Jimmi,

I would post your question in the Bahamas Forum as well. A lot of the experience there is from around Nassau however there are guys on board who know about riding conditions further out, e.g. Grand Bahama, Abacos, Andros, Eleuthra and Cat Island.

I would say January and February should be one of the more rideable times of the year in the Bahamas. So far this winter has been better than most for wind. I was just over there last weekend in the northern Berrys and on New Providence. It was honking strong in the Berrys. It lulled the day I was in Nassau but was to go off all the coming week again. It is hard to say but it might be 50% kiteable with an appropriate kite quiver.

I can't help you with the current ferrys. I would ask the guys in the Bahamas Forum. Last time I relied upon inter-island mailboats to head down the entire Bahamas I was torpedeoed by very irregular scheduling. Perhaps you'll do better.

Have fun,