PDA

View Full Version : Kite Size

NaplesX5
11-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Anyone have any recommendations on kite size. I am a newbie and would like to buy one kite that would hopefully cover me for most SW Florida conditions this Nov - May. Rider size 5'-9", 160 pds.

I am looking at the Best Waroo kites and was leaning towards a 14m.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ricki
11-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Anyone have any recommendations on kite size. I am a newbie and would like to buy one kite that would hopefully cover me for most SW Florida conditions this Nov - May. Rider size 5'-9", 160 pds.

I am looking at the Best Waroo kites and was leaning towards a 14m.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I assume that you have already been through adequate pro instruction. If I am wrong in this please disregard the text below and click on the following link instead:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=2982

I am 30 lbs. heavier and will use a 14 m bow kite for lighter to moderate wind conditions. You might consider a 12 m for your light wind to moderate kite as with winter winds a 14 m as your primary kite is probably too big. Once the winter winds pass or during truly light conditions you may want something 14 m or larger.

There likely will be some frontal conditions between now and May in which you will be rigged too big even with a 12 m flat kite. Of course as a new rider you should avoid the more powerful winds anyway. I would try to use winds 18 kts. and below until you have developed your skills pretty thoroughly. After that you will want to consider a smaller flat kite.

Other input on this? There are lots of guys out there around 160 lbs. and on the west coast.

NaplesX5
11-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the advice!

ricki
11-15-2006, 08:42 AM
You're welcome. I just added something to the post that is worth looking over.

NaplesX5
11-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the additional information, i have seen that image. Yes, i have taken PASA lessons and will continue taking a few more lessons. I am at the stage of looking to buy my own kite so i can familiarize myself with my own equipment. Thanks again for the great forums!

ricki
11-15-2006, 09:07 AM
I formed that impression initially, thanks for confirming it. Be sure to look over this as well for tips on progressing after lessons.

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=175