PDA

View Full Version : Comin to Miami...

Skye
11-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Hi,

I am a rider from Stockholm, Sweden and are going to chill in Miami and the Keys for two wks over x-mas. Have checked up a few sweetspots that I want to surf; Crandon, The flats, and some of the parks down at the Key.

Quess I also have to get and IKO cert to ride at Crandon.

A few questions for the locals:

What are the chances to catch any wind in december?
What sizes do you mostly ride on when the wind comes?
Any other recommendations?

Thank you,

Skye
11-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Saw another thread further down that gave a lot of info...

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=2784

But still, what sizes are most common in december? Should I bring a 9 and a 12 or just the 12 with huge depower... :P

kiwiar2000
11-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey skye,
In December, We will be having pretty good winds. Probably around 14knts-26knts. I suggest you to bring both kites.
Yes, you have to have an IKO level 3 to ride in Crandon.
Any more info, just ask.
-Danny

Skye
11-12-2006, 02:41 PM
I have sent a mail to a few kitecenters in Miami where I might get the IKO 3 cert, but they have not answered yet.

Are there any spots where I can ride without cert. / and not get hassled by rangers/police/authorities?

What about those stingrays? Need booties?

Packing 2 kites... :-)

kiwiar2000
11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
well,
There is Matheson Hammocks in Coral Gables. If coming here, launch AT LEAST 100 feet away from shore. Look it up at www.kitebeaches.com
Um, yea, you could bring booties. NO stingrays @ the bay. Maybe at the beaches. Booties do warm your feet!
-Danny

ricki
11-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Are there any spots where I can ride without cert. / and not get hassled by rangers/police/authorities?

What about those stingrays? Need booties?

Packing 2 kites... :-)

I've been trying to answer this question by visitors from all over the world for years. What would you expect to find in an area with year round kiting, more kiters per capita than most of the USA, kiting took off here at least five to six years ago and 2.25 Million people with few readily accessible launch areas? Access issues. Finally, I have a good answer to this question:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1509

Crandon is one of the few places in the USA where certification is required, for now. So, it isn't a Miami thing, it applies to just one launch.

Booties will do no good against stingray barbs, they'll cut right through normal neoprene. Booties will help against sharp sea shells, broken glass, etc. and in Bay are a good idea.

I don't know about Matheson Hammock Danny as I don't go there often. However you will find stingrays throughout the rest of Biscayne Bay commonly. Just shuffle your feet when you walk to avoid stepping on one. Simple.

Skye
11-13-2006, 03:41 AM
I've been trying to answer this question by visitors from all over the world for years. What would you expect to find in an area with year round kiting, more kiters per capita than most of the USA, kiting took off here at least five to six years ago and 2.25 Million people with few readily accessible launch areas? Access issues. Finally, I have a good answer to this question:

Guess this could be a hot thread...

Yep, thanks Rick. Very good thread, I have it printed out :-)

Thanks for all info, its good to be prepared on all levels to be able to get as much kiting as possible on the vacation.

I read on kitebeaches.com that shorties might be required at some spots and Danny says that booties will keep my feet warm. I thougt Florida was blessed with sun and warm weather 365 days a year... :roll:

Anyway, I read that average temp in december is 70ths low 85 high? Is it over 70s in the air, I am happy.

What is warm and what is cold for you guys? I put my booties on pretty late. I am from Sweden, where there are polarbears in the streets and where Santa lives...

This is a few weeks ago... :P

http://www.surfzone.se/pp_data/500/is.jpg

ricki
11-13-2006, 06:41 AM

Guess this could be a hot thread...

Yep, thanks Rick. Very good thread, I have it printed out :-)

I hope so. Please pass the word along. When I was a kid in Ft. Lauderdale, we had two part time dive charter boats. Why? Not much demand and no one had tried to alter things. Today there are well over 50.

Today, they are two boats that run to the Flats on a regular basis that I know about. This could change and make vacation prospects for visitors much better with excellent kiting conditions far away from land in calm shallow water rideable in winds from all directions. I have no business interest in this but I would be very gratified to avoid the access issues for a while. This is a great way to do this.

Thanks for all info, its good to be prepared on all levels to be able to get as much kiting as possible on the vacation.

I read on kitebeaches.com that shorties might be required at some spots and Danny says that booties will keep my feet warm. I thougt Florida was blessed with sun and warm weather 365 days a year... :roll:

Anyway, I read that average temp in december is 70ths low 85 high? Is it over 70s in the air, I am happy.

What is warm and what is cold for you guys? I put my booties on pretty late. I am from Sweden, where there are polarbears in the streets and where Santa lives...

This is a few weeks ago... :P

http://www.surfzone.se/pp_data/500/is.jpg

Nippy stuff, I am always impressed to see guys in the Nordic countries going year round. Intense and a bit hazardous at times. Anyway, the booties I was referring to are fairly thin boots, say 2 mm, with hard soles to protect your feet from cutting on shells and glass. Not for warmth. I would think you could leave your polar booties at home.

Our wind from now through perhaps May comes from cold fronts. The temperature will vary with the passage of the front along with the wind speed and direction. Once the front passes the temperature goes back up. The more powerful the cold front the lower the air temperatures will go. Air temperatures into the 70, 60, 50 and even 40's F can and will happen. In December in January I would expect the temps to be in the 70's or higher and perhaps dip into the mid 50's for a few hours. The water temperature is usually a great deal warmer however. In more powerful fronts in the past in December and January we can even have them into the higher 30's at rare times. Light snow flurries on Miami Beach? Yes, but only once every 30 to 40 years or so. Miami runs warmer than much of Florida however a shorty is a good idea and if you can fit it in maybe a 3/2 full wetsuit. Some guys wear board shorts year round in Miami. Don't quite know why, maybe short sessions.

Some temperature and wind records appear at:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1096

Have a good trip. It really is warmer here, honest!

kiwiar2000
11-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Winter time, like Rick said, typically consists of 70 down to 60 degrees F.
A shortie would defenitely do. That's what I wear. Just wear your boardshorts over the shortie. Keep that in mind. Winter time=summertime for you.
Any questions, don't hesitate.
-Danny

Skye
11-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys!

Very useful info.

tj73
11-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Since I have asked myself same questions about florida launches before. I would suggest you to add a sticky post to the website specialy for the visitor. Florida is a place known as a favorite for vacations. You could save a lot of time by doing that and we can check the info anytime.

Thanks for always taking the time to response all our questions,

TJ :wink:

Skye
11-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Planning the trip. Staying in Miami for a week, checking out the spots close by. Then thinking about going down the keys, stopping at places down the road.

Have checked the internet for accomodation, but its too many pages and too much info.

Anyone knows about good cosy guesthouses, motels, hostels, hotels that are not too pricey, and obviously not to far from the spots :-)

Cheers

ricki
11-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Planning the trip. Staying in Miami for a week, checking out the spots close by. Then thinking about going down the keys, stopping at places down the road.

Have checked the internet for accomodation, but its too many pages and too much info.

Anyone knows about good cosy guesthouses, motels, hostels, hotels that are not too pricey, and obviously not to far from the spots :-)

Travelling with wife so I donĀ“t need xxxx as bedfellows :D

Cheers

There are quite a few visitors in Florida in December so availability and prices will vary quite a bit. There are thousands of hotels as well in the area. Best bet is to use the travel search engines such as those listed in the Florida Guide at: http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=2756

If you have questions about specific hotels or locations, fire away. Availability in the Keys will be highly variable as well largely depending on whether there are specific events on.

ricki
11-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Speaking of snow, we had some fall in Orlando yesterday, true story. The good news is that it will be back in the low 70 F tomorrow and close to 80 F in a few days in those parts. It will be a bit warmer in Miami.

More below:

Snow! Flakes spotted in Central Florida as temperatures hit low 40s here

sun-sentinel.com and the Associated Press
Posted November 22 2006, 8:55 AM EST

ORLANDO -- Snowbirds come to the Sunshine State to escape them, but weather officials said a few snowflakes were spotted in Central Florida.

The flakes, mixed with rain, fell about 9 p.m. Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service. Snow shovels were not needed, but some of the white stuff did hit the ground before melting, National Weather Service meteorologist John Pendergrast said.

LocalLinks

``It's just cold enough in the lower levels of the atmosphere'' to keep the flakes from melting, Pendergrast said.

The last time the region saw snow was in 2003, when flakes fell over Brevard and Volusia counties.

Temperatures in the area Tuesday night dipped to the low 40s, and were expected to fall to the 30s, Pendergrast said.

Meanwhile, temperatures dipped into the low 40s around South Florida in the pre-dawn hours today, but light winds meant that residents were not having to deal a wind chill index in the 30s.

West Palm Beach reported a new record low of 40 for Nov. 22, breaking the record of 41 set in 1914. Fort Lauderdale's record low of 43, set in 1952, apparently was not broken.

At 6 a.m., the weather service reported temperatures of 40 degrees in Pompano Beach, 41 in Boca Raton, 41 in Homestead, 45 in Fort Lauderdale and 47 in Miami.

News partners NewsChannel 5 reported unoffcial temperatures in the 30s in western Palm Beach County, including 39 in West Delray.

Today's temperatures were expected to reach into the upper 60s under partly cloudy skies with northwest winds at 10-15 mph.

Wednesday night will be a little warmer, with lows in the mid to upper 40s inland and the lower 50s along the coast under mostly clear skies, the weather service said.

Thanksgiving will be nice but a little cool, with temperatures reaching the low 70s under mostly sunny skies and northwest winds 10-15 mph.

Wind chills may drop into the 20s in parts of north Florida and high temperatures may only reach the 60s as far south as the Keys on Wednesday, state meteorologist Ben Nelson said.

A developing storm out at sea off of Florida's east coast is driving cold air southward into the state, which resulted in freeze watches for several locations in the Panhandle earlier this week. Residents were being reminded to protect themselves, their plants, their pets and their pipes.

The cold weather is expected to last through Thanksgiving, but by the end of the week warmer temperatures were forecast to return. By Sunday, the high in Miami is expected to be 81.