PDA

View Full Version : Bahamian Downwinder

ricki
11-10-2006, 08:48 AM
googel earth is allway a good one to have a look at to , the bahamas dosent look as prity on GE as it does from the air in a plane but it give's you the lat and long for some rad spots.

a whyle ago I was discussing a possable multi day down winder from Nassau to GT exuma (not cheap)
I think a shorter race might be good from abaco to nassau or visa versa.
or abaco to spanish wells.
I think it would be a good idear to get involved with the races that are allready going on in FL and have some sort of structure allready, and then try and sort it out for here.
like make it an end of the season thing (before the wind runs out)spring would be the best time for wind here, what do you think?
do you have some sort of comitee or contacts that could help us organizie it?

aj

Hey AJ,

Sounds interesting. I think starting with smaller efforts initially makes good sense. It jump starts the learning curve and builds interest. One thing about the Florida Downwinders at this point, St. Pete, SE Florida and the Lower Keys, is that they all parallel land masses for the most part. If you break down, get tired or have some other problem you can just land, make a call on the cell phone and get back to civilization. This may be less true in the lower Keys mind you but that event is still off a ways. Anyway, there is no need for chase boats or cars although they would help. For a true inter-island run, I think you would need chase boats and enough of them to be sure to cover the fleet from the leaders back to the stragglers. A few islands and small gaps may be different from say the Exumas with a lot of cuts between islands and opportunities to drift off.

You might do something for starters on New Providence. Say in NE or NW frontal winds, between the east end of Hog Island and Lyford Cay. That works out to about 18 miles. If you wanted to be tricky about it you might even make it a roundwinder to increase the difficulty.

As an alternate or another small New Providence event you might even want to ride between Lyford Cay and say the east end of Rose Island.

Down the road so many of your islands have long beaches on the eastern or Atlantic side. Of course there often is rock fringing the beaches to frag inbound kiters too. Still, Eleuthra, Cat Island, Long Island, Abaco and more offer up some long or short downwinder prospects in NE winds. NE over here and perhaps in the western Bahamas may be one for the more reliable, useable winds during frontal season. You could make a weekend or overnighter out of it. I didn't mention Andros, I am still sorting out all those shark stories from the southern end of the island.

Shooting for April or early May winds could work. March may have the Jupiter and Lower Keys events in Florida. I am not sure about Kite4Girls. Early April might be a possibility. I would try to hold one or two smaller events prior to that however. They can involved 10 guys or less, just something to get the buzz and ideas flowing. For the large event, you could setup a time window for an outisland event. Say, 2 to 4 weeks for a given venue. You could give one week, 72, 48 and 24 hour notifications depending on how solid the forecast looks. These things aren't that hard to put on, although if you are looking for sponsorhip, prize money, etc. these can definitely complicate things.

There are some basic precautions riders should employ, signalling gear, camel paks, power bars, riding in teams, etc. Still it isn't rocket science and can be fun. Pre-races like we have run here make good sense for the organizers. It can start casual, just a bunch of guys getting together to do something different.

What do you guys think?

moylemuncha
11-10-2006, 03:09 PM
there is absalutely no incentive for me to get involved in a race that goes across large stretches of ocean for the sake of it. et al the logistics, costs and danger

when you could be cruising down the East Coast of Eleuthera. 90 miles of beautifull, relatively sheltered (outer reef) coast with a safe landing spot never more than 50 or a 100 yards down wind

and beach bars every 10 miles for refreshments :-P

Matteo
11-11-2006, 07:38 AM
I agree with MM, no fun crossing any stretch of ocean.

We could work on something like Yamacraw to Rose Island or Montague to Rose Island on N or NW wind. Then we could extend the range and try Spanish Well to New Providence in NW staying behind the Rose Island cays. And as a "grand finale" we could work on Nassau to Exumas in ENE.

I'm ready to start working on something like Nassau to Rose Island...who's IN ??

mocean
11-11-2006, 08:44 AM
last winter I did a down winder from green cay to ft Montague riding inbetween rose island and sandy cay and then salt cay , the best part for me and my mate Beno was riding inbetween the narrows there was an out going tide and it was effortless to stay up wind, and then we went into the harbor and when we landed all of the fisherman where there checking us out.
once we where landed, both of us looked at eachother and said no way wouyld we be going in the FL to Bimini race.
that was only a few miles I think mabe 5 ,(down wind) and my knees where killing me).
my fave down winder is from blue hill to coral harbor in the back of those cays where it is butter flat even at 20kts (that you could write a poem about.
I was suggesting an event like kitecross or a long race to get some of these FL riders to come over and ride and get us on the map a bit more for kiteboarding.
when it is windy the last thing I want to do is experiment with long down winders, I just want to ride with my mates.
aj

ricki
11-17-2006, 03:38 PM
It's your venue and event, so think something up and I'll help out as best I can.

Still, long downwinders can be a blast, after doing it twice, I don't even consider 25 miles to be that long a run. Fun though! 65 miles might be a bit too far at least in big waves and high wind. It would be a lot easier in calmer water, you might even want to make it a bit further. You folks have incredible scenery, abundant calmer waters, something like a downwinder would be a natural in the Out Islands I would think.

What sort of event do you folks want to organize?