PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in this?

TJay
11-25-2004, 05:01 PM
I have been unable to locate any sort of organised group of boarders in Pensacola. If there is one can someone point me in the direction of contacting them?

If not.

As someone who has organised groups in the past, I am curious if there is any interest in starting up a Pensacola area website and group. I have a hosting company and do web development as a side hobby to the day job.
I am just getting started and would love to facilitate bringing people in the Pensacola area together. I must admit I have a self motivated reason for doing this as I need contact with experienced boarders in the area.

Thanks

TJay
11-25-2004, 05:01 PM
I have been unable to locate any sort of organised group of boarders in Pensacola. If there is one can someone point me in the direction of contacting them?

If not.

As someone who has organised groups in the past, I am curious if there is any interest in starting up a Pensacola area website and group. I have a hosting company and do web development as a side hobby to the day job.
I am just getting started and would love to facilitate bringing people in the Pensacola area together. I must admit I have a self motivated reason for doing this as I need contact with experienced boarders in the area.

Thanks

str8upinfl
12-16-2004, 01:50 PM
If there is wind you will prabably see a kite at Pensacola Beach either on the sound side or in the Gulf. There is a small group of kiters who have access to wide open beaches, once they open back up.

For the most part the Kite community has been small and trouble free compared to other areas, and all the riders like their time on the water but do assist others when they see an unknown kiter. All they ask is that you think and keep safety #1. They have already lost miles of beach to Ivan and don't want to loose what little is left to kite bans.

Think about your safety and the safety of those around you.

str8upinfl
12-16-2004, 01:50 PM
If there is wind you will prabably see a kite at Pensacola Beach either on the sound side or in the Gulf. There is a small group of kiters who have access to wide open beaches, once they open back up.

For the most part the Kite community has been small and trouble free compared to other areas, and all the riders like their time on the water but do assist others when they see an unknown kiter. All they ask is that you think and keep safety #1. They have already lost miles of beach to Ivan and don't want to loose what little is left to kite bans.

Think about your safety and the safety of those around you.

Dix
12-16-2004, 06:36 PM
How'y'r doing Str8up,

Agree that safety and ban prevention go together.

Last year we had some guys from Pensacola visiting FWB say during a friendly discussion, "we don't use leashes anymore".

This was a year ago, so maybe the attitude has changed?

Where do you guys go in strong NW? I'm waiting for Sunday NW25-30.
Leeside can be really bad with anything W in it. As long as it doesn't go WNW, We'll be OK but marginal. DAMN! why can't we get a good N or NE?

BTW, Leeside has NEW sand! The state park people (from Pensacola :D )
set up a huge dredge and piped in a huge sand bar. Now we have a nice sandy spot almost as good as the Gulf side!

Hey TJ, if you make it to FWB Leeside park this weekend, look for the guy wearing a black helmet, I'll help you check rigging and get started.
- Dix

Dix
12-16-2004, 06:36 PM
How'y'r doing Str8up,

Last year we had some guys from Pensacola visiting FWB say during a friendly discussion, "we don't use leashes anymore".

Leeside can be really bad with anything W in it. As long as it doesn't go WNW, We'll be OK but marginal. DAMN! why can't we get a good N or NE?

set up a huge dredge and piped in a huge sand bar. Now we have a nice sandy spot almost as good as the Gulf side!

Hey TJ, if you make it to FWB Leeside park this weekend, look for the guy wearing a black helmet, I'll help you check rigging and get started.
- Dix

TJay
12-16-2004, 06:42 PM
You have no idea how happy that would make me.
I have not moved yet. Still living in Nawlins.

I have a lot to learn and purchase before I reach that point.
It is very good to hear that there is activity there.

What I need to do first is make the transition from team stunt kites to Surfboarding trainer kites. Then make plans for my lessons

What kind of trainer would you recomend?

TJay
12-16-2004, 06:42 PM
You have no idea how happy that would make me.
I have not moved yet. Still living in Nawlins.

I have a lot to learn and purchase before I reach that point.
It is very good to hear that there is activity there.

What I need to do first is make the transition from team stunt kites to Surfboarding trainer kites. Then make plans for my lessons

Dix
12-16-2004, 07:19 PM

TJay, this is only my unqualified opinion and I invite all criticism on this,

Look up some used kite sales sites for example, iWindsurf has a very good listing. Link to iWindsurf used kites (http://www.iwindsurf.com/buysell/classifieds.pl?db=kiteboards&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=headlines&category=Kites&query=category) Suggest you start with a 12-14m LEI to start with. Then depending on your weight, start with at least a 185cm (6') twin tip (TT) big wake board type, or if your'e 200lbs and up, a 7-8' directional, surfboard design will keep you going in lighter wind conditions. (for example, my boards range from 7' converted wave sailboard down to a 135cm wake style board. The 135 is the most fun, but unfortunatly, we don't have consistant enough conditions to use it all the time, so I get by with a 143cm, 185cm, and the big directional in lighter winds.

As a beginer preparing to get in the water learning to get the board planing, a safe combination is usually a big board and small kite.
Some may say, start with your hair on fire with big kite and small board, but I disagree. Yes, you'll progress to a big kite and small board, but it doesn't hurt to keep that small kite for nukin' conditions when you've got some experience.

Just so you know, as soon as you get going, you'll hate that little kite and want more power! That is the sign that you're on the downward slope of Kitesurf addition! :lol: As I said, when you move to that bigger kite, keep that little one stashed away for those rare 20-30mph days. You'll thank me for this advice, I promise.

Well, any comments from the peanut gallery? Let er rip!
- Dix

Dix
12-16-2004, 07:19 PM

TJay, this is only my unqualified opinion and I invite all criticism on this,

Look up some used kite sales sites for example, iWindsurf has a very good listing. Link to iWindsurf used kites (http://www.iwindsurf.com/buysell/classifieds.pl?db=kiteboards&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=headlines&category=Kites&query=category) Suggest you start with a 12-14m LEI to start with. Then depending on your weight, start with at least a 185cm (6') twin tip (TT) big wake board type, or if your'e 200lbs and up, a 7-8' directional, surfboard design will keep you going in lighter wind conditions. (for example, my boards range from 7' converted wave sailboard down to a 135cm wake style board. The 135 is the most fun, but unfortunatly, we don't have consistant enough conditions to use it all the time, so I get by with a 143cm, 185cm, and the big directional in lighter winds.

As a beginer preparing to get in the water learning to get the board planing, a safe combination is usually a big board and small kite.
Some may say, start with your hair on fire with big kite and small board, but I disagree. Yes, you'll progress to a big kite and small board, but it doesn't hurt to keep that small kite for nukin' conditions when you've got some experience.

Just so you know, as soon as you get going, you'll hate that little kite and want more power! That is the sign that you're on the downward slope of Kitesurf addition! :lol: As I said, when you move to that bigger kite, keep that little one stashed away for those rare 20-30mph days. You'll thank me for this advice, I promise.

Well, any comments from the peanut gallery? Let er rip!
- Dix

TJay
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tips.
I am watching ebay. My leanings are to start with Slingshot Fuel along the 11M range, but the deals on the new Best kites look nice as well.

I wont purchase a kite until I get a lesson or two in. I just want to buy a trainer because I can start messing with that now. I understand the power zones and wind windows from flying stunters. I have been drug down the beach by a couple of those before.

lol

TJay
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tips.
I am watching ebay. My leanings are to start with Slingshot Fuel along the 11M range, but the deals on the new Best kites look nice as well.

I wont purchase a kite until I get a lesson or two in. I just want to buy a trainer because I can start messing with that now. I understand the power zones and wind windows from flying stunters. I have been drug down the beach by a couple of those before.

lol

Dix
12-16-2004, 07:45 PM
good plan, looks like you're on the right track.

You can keep the trainer kite for buggy and mountain board later on.
Ivan cleared out some nice flat spots on the beach, so I'll be looking for a mountain board to play with my small kite.

some of those under $200 deals on iWindsurf look hard to pass up, and a small kite, 11m range will be managable up to 15mph for learning, almost a trainer IMO. (when you get better, you'll use that 11m with a small board in 20-30mph eventually).

and like you said, the Best deals are nice, great to get a new kite, has it's advantages.

Dix
12-16-2004, 07:45 PM
good plan, looks like you're on the right track.

You can keep the trainer kite for buggy and mountain board later on.
Ivan cleared out some nice flat spots on the beach, so I'll be looking for a mountain board to play with my small kite.

some of those under $200 deals on iWindsurf look hard to pass up, and a small kite, 11m range will be managable up to 15mph for learning, almost a trainer IMO. (when you get better, you'll use that 11m with a small board in 20-30mph eventually).

and like you said, the Best deals are nice, great to get a new kite, has it's advantages.

TJay
12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Wow thanks for the help folks
I have been lurking on several boards, reading and posting.
I had started to feel the the world of kiteboarding was one of those closed communities that was going to be hard to break into.

I appreciate the responses. From what I have been reading there are a growing number of problems steming from new riders that dont understand the dos and donts, being reckless and causing problems for the sport at large.

It seems that in that case, newbie indoctrination would be a paramount concern. This board and others like it do a great job in facilitating that

TJay
12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Wow thanks for the help folks
I have been lurking on several boards, reading and posting.
I had started to feel the the world of kiteboarding was one of those closed communities that was going to be hard to break into.

I appreciate the responses. From what I have been reading there are a growing number of problems steming from new riders that dont understand the dos and donts, being reckless and causing problems for the sport at large.

It seems that in that case, newbie indoctrination would be a paramount concern. This board and others like it do a great job in facilitating that

str8upinfl
12-17-2004, 11:46 AM
How'y'r doing Str8up,

- Dix
Don't know who would have said that but the attitued has always been use a kite leash. Now maybe they said they don't use board leashes and this would be a true statement. All the local kiters who fly on Pensacola Beach have had and still have a great safety attitude. You might have had someone from Pensacola who rides in Perdido Beach or Johnsons Beach and then I don't know as that is a whole different group of guys??

str8upinfl
12-17-2004, 11:46 AM
How'y'r doing Str8up,

- Dix
Don't know who would have said that but the attitued has always been use a kite leash. Now maybe they said they don't use board leashes and this would be a true statement. All the local kiters who fly on Pensacola Beach have had and still have a great safety attitude. You might have had someone from Pensacola who rides in Perdido Beach or Johnsons Beach and then I don't know as that is a whole different group of guys??

Dix
12-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Sorry, meant Kite leash. This was over a year ago, I talked to the guy about it, no drama as the Ausies say.

Do you guys have any plans for Sunday if we get NW 15-25 ?

Got to practice a few days last week, so not too rusty for Sunday I hope.

Good winds,
Dix

Dix
12-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Sorry, meant Kite leash. This was over a year ago, I talked to the guy about it, no drama as the Ausies say.

Do you guys have any plans for Sunday if we get NW 15-25 ?

Got to practice a few days last week, so not too rusty for Sunday I hope.

Good winds,
Dix

TJay
12-17-2004, 06:25 PM
So it sounds like there are a few riders in Pensacola.
Would you folks be interested in a community web site for Pensacola kite boarders.
I am a web developer amongst other things. And soon to be boarder.
I have free space and time to develop it, my interest would be to meet and learn more about what is available in the are ahead of a move to florida in 05

If so let me know, I have a functioning prototype that I am working on for some folks in virginia ( my home state )

My role would be to manage the site for members, the site would belong to you the riders of Pensacola

www.cyprex.biz what would you like to see on a website as a boarder??

Thanks

TJay

TJay
12-17-2004, 06:25 PM
So it sounds like there are a few riders in Pensacola.
Would you folks be interested in a community web site for Pensacola kite boarders.
I am a web developer amongst other things. And soon to be boarder.
I have free space and time to develop it, my interest would be to meet and learn more about what is available in the are ahead of a move to florida in 05

If so let me know, I have a functioning prototype that I am working on for some folks in virginia ( my home state )

My role would be to manage the site for members, the site would belong to you the riders of Pensacola

www.cyprex.biz what would you like to see on a website as a boarder??

Thanks

TJay