PDA

View Full Version : How many kiters?

Guana Cay
10-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Just stumbled on this site. I think I am the only kiteboarder in Abaco. How many in Nassau?

PrayFaWind27
10-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Welcome to the BKF, how much of us, that’s a good question I know there isn’t that many, there’s
1 Myself, Shuman, aka, Superman, aka , Prayfawind
2 AJ aka Mocean,
3 Mark aka , Moyle muncha
4 Dave aka, Balloon boy
5 Metteo aka ?
6 Peter aka, Pedro
7 Robby aka, dillette53
8 Robby Mayers aka ?
9 Jason aka, ?
All new kiteboarders are welcomed and would find no trouble for info, transportion and riding advice. How's the Adacos ?

mocean
10-30-2006, 12:04 PM
thanks for joining us here.
there isn't that many of us but the guys that ride here are all cool, and Passionate about this sport.
whats the wind like in abaco? and is the wind ina good dirction for winter to ride kitesurf in the waves?
aj

BigR
10-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Went to Great Guana cay about five years ago in december and it is da Bomb! nice sandy beaches for launching and big surf on the east side with flat water a few hundred yards away on the west side

I just wish bahamasair hadn't lost all of my kitesurfing gear up until the last day of my vacation :twisted: :evil: :oops: cause it was blowin' 25 the whole time :roll:

ricki
10-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Just stumbled on this site. I think I am the only kiteboarder in Abaco. How many in Nassau?

Are you the chef at a local restaurant down by the harbor? If so, we met while I was over for my wedding on Hopetown last May. You sure do have a great riding spot!

How has your wind been lately with these nice cold fronts and waves?

Guana Cay
10-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Abaco is great spot. Guana is unusual because we have beaches on both the Atlantic and the sea of Abaco sides. There is tons of flat water but also great wave riding. Good ferry service to all the outer Cays means long downwinders with no boat needed to follow.

The cook is a guy named Sean. He just started this spring. I've been flogging away(as my wife says) since 2000. I go back to two line wipka's and a lot of prayer.

Treasure Cay, Hopetown, Green Turtle and Guana Cay all have great beaches and orientation to take advantage of any wind direction. Just watch out for the "cruisers". I'm sure you guys get them in Nassau. I have always believed they can't swim as fast as I can sail....right.

Contacted Niel Hutchinson to see if we could put together a Bahamian Team for the Bimini race. Seems like it has been put off. Any interest in a team race from Sandy Point to Nassau? I bet Ministry of Tourism would be interested.

mocean
10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I was asking rick in one of his posts if he new of any1 that would like to add a comp in the bahamas to there circut itenary ,but didn't get a respose back.
I think a long ride like that would attract some good press but that's alot of money in fule for support boats to get from FL to abaco or here and back.
so it kinda narrows down whos going to do it.
but I would be willing to help organize an event if any1 is will to help make it happen.
aj

ricki
10-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Abaco is great spot. Guana is unusual because we have beaches on both the Atlantic and the sea of Abaco sides. There is tons of flat water but also great wave riding. Good ferry service to all the outer Cays means long downwinders with no boat needed to follow.

The cook is a guy named Sean. He just started this spring. I've been flogging away(as my wife says) since 2000. I go back to two line wipka's and a lot of prayer.

Treasure Cay, Hopetown, Green Turtle and Guana Cay all have great beaches and orientation to take advantage of any wind direction. Just watch out for the "cruisers". I'm sure you guys get them in Nassau. I have always believed they can't swim as fast as I can sail....right.

Contacted Niel Hutchinson to see if we could put together a Bahamian Team for the Bimini race. Seems like it has been put off. Any interest in a team race from Sandy Point to Nassau? I bet Ministry of Tourism would be interested.

The two times I was over there in the summer the wind wasn't on. It looks like the riding would be insane there during frontal season through. You have so many launches, flat water and wave spots. I feel like hoping a plane this afternoon!

Small world, we visited the UW Park and Guana on one day and I stopped by the shop. I told him about this site, hope he is progressing well.

Riding in the Abacos since 2000, that adds new meaning to the term "Lone Ranger." Bet you have had some great rides.

AJ, that hurts! Look again, there was a response at:
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?p=9866

Let me know what you have in mind and we'll try to put something together. You have an excellent venue.

moylemuncha
11-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Hey Guana

My memory is a but rusty but I allways am thinking of a spot I saw years ago before I started kiting. I think it was between Guana and Scotland Cay. Big shallow lagoon flanked by buffs on either island.

do you know where I mean and if so have you tried it?

MM

moylemuncha
11-01-2006, 05:58 AM
bluffs that is

Guana Cay
11-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Never tried it. Might work with a dead north wind but its not that wide. One problem with Guana is there are only roads on the middle half of the Cay. Most winter kiting is on the Ocean. The beach in front of Nippers is wide and except for Pig Roast on sunday, empty. There is an outer reef about a quarter mile out that breaks the ground swell. As the fronts bust through its side shore from the west then as it clocks it will stay NE until the next one starts. About a half mile down the beach the outer reef ends and serious surf starts. There are intermitent reef a 100 yards off shore. Great surfing if the wind goes offshore.
With a boat there is unlimited flat water sailing by tucking behind cays in the sea of abaco. When the wind is out of the south, Bakers bay or shell island, a cay made when disney dredged the turning basin for the cruise ships they later abandoned.
Treasure Cay is killer in a north wind.

ricki
11-01-2006, 07:03 AM
So many great riding areas over your way. A look seaward from Nippers on Guana Cay.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album211/Nippers_VR_1_s.sized.jpg

CLICK FOR FULL SIZED IMAGE (http://www.fksa.org/gallery/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=album211&id=Nippers_VR_1_s)

Guana Cay
11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Check http://barometerbob.com/ Wave cam at Garbonzo's - White Sound

WIth weather station for current wind.

ricki
11-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Check http://barometerbob.com/ Wave cam at Garbonzo's - White Sound

WIth weather station for current wind.

Thanks, I found out about Barometer Bob in researching for the wedding. Great stuff! Trouble is, I never managed to make it to the Abacos yet for wind. How do you feel the White Cay, Hopetown sensors reflect actual conditions, pretty accurate? I have been wanting to grab a flight and hit things when the wind is on for sometime. I suspect this weekend will be idea but won't be able to make it this time. BTW, have you checked out any of the tow-in surfing around Elbow Cay or the Hub area?

Thanks!

Guana Cay
11-04-2006, 12:23 PM
White sound link is the most accurate. It reads about 3-4k high.

Tow in unlikely with any size on Elbow. There is no deep water channel near by. There are several spots on the Western end of Guana. There is an inner and outer reef. All the inner spots are paddle out. The outer reef breaks when it gets big (10'+). A couple of the kids had gone out by boat. The reef is narely. The best spot for big surf in a point beak 100m off shore. Flat rock bottom. Has held up to a 20' swell and makeable.
Jet ski would be better for rescue when caught inside.

mocean
11-06-2006, 07:10 AM
sounds like you have the secret spot,that's not a secret anymore.

aj

ricki
11-09-2006, 10:24 AM
White sound link is the most accurate. It reads about 3-4k high.

Tow in unlikely with any size on Elbow. There is no deep water channel near by. There are several spots on the Western end of Guana. There is an inner and outer reef. All the inner spots are paddle out. The outer reef breaks when it gets big (10'+). A couple of the kids had gone out by boat. The reef is narely. The best spot for big surf in a point beak 100m off shore. Flat rock bottom. Has held up to a 20' swell and makeable.
Jet ski would be better for rescue when caught inside.

Thanks for the insight on the info from the White Sound sensor. One of these days I'll hit it over that way.

I had heard that Chuck Patterson out of California and Hawaii had done some tow-in surfing off of Elbow Cay but wondered where and in what sort of conditions. Sounds like a great spot.

Hey A.J., you are right from what I've seen. Then again, it looks like you have hundreds (thousands?) of other great spots throughout the archipelago. Too much to hopefully saturate with folks in our lifetime. Just flying over the islands on the way to BVI or the ABCs the immensity and abundance of empty beaches, launches, reef breaks can blow you away. It really is better in the Bahamas!

How about that event? After tooling about 65 miles down the coast last Saturday, I am up for some new scenery. An inter-island run would be interesting. How about something in the Sea of Abaco or along the Atlantic side of the island arc, say from Hope Town to Little Harbour or Spanish Cay to MOW or ... ? Lots of possibilities.

mocean
11-10-2006, 08:12 AM
googel earth is allway a good one to have a look at to , the bahamas dosent look as prity on GE as it does from the air in a plane but it give's you the lat and long for some rad spots.

a whyle ago I was discussing a possable multi day down winder from Nassau to GT exuma (not cheap)
I think a shorter race might be good from abaco to nassau or visa versa.
or abaco to spanish wells.
I think it would be a good idear to get involved with the races that are allready going on in FL and have some sort of structure allready, and then try and sort it out for here.
like make it an end of the season thing (before the wind runs out)spring would be the best time for wind here, what do you think?
do you have some sort of comitee or contacts that could help us organizie it?

aj

ricki
11-10-2006, 08:51 AM
This is such a good topic, I thought it deserved its own thread, so ...

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=3110

mocean
11-10-2006, 09:13 AM
hopefully it works out because it could be an awsome event.
aj