PDA

View Full Version : Dumbass of the month award

toby wilson
10-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Goes to me for rigging a 20.5 M Machine on Saturday @ Honeymoon Island to do the downwinder to Bongos. I thought I could hold it down on a downwinder but I was obviously very mistaken. I apologize if I scared anyone with my late arrival to the party. It was a stupid, stupid move and I hope that not too many were left concerned at the Race Pre-Party. :oops:

Thanks to both Erick and Mercedes for coming to pick my stranded @$$ up!!!

shogun1204
10-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Yeah I was one of the drivers that dropped them off for the downwinder. I remember Toby saying he was going to put up his 20 and as I was driving away to head back to bongos I was thinking in my head "Man I was riding at Bongos and I was LIT on my 12. Did he say was going to put up a 20?" LOL.

Tea Bag
11-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Just wait till you have kids Toby! Then we'll Talk about doin' dumb ass things and getting the real award from the WIFE. Still, I guess this will do for now. :lol: But no real comparison. :wink:

tomstock
11-01-2006, 08:59 PM
What about the award for pulling your buddies main bladder plug when you are both standing on an island? LOL! :lol:

toby wilson
11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Someone has obviously been busy whining!

Tom, try getting both sides of the story next time. There was good reason for doing so, mainly safety. There was a way off of the island that the person in question had just informed me of. The kiter in question found a pump but could not reinflate the kite so it would properly fly. Would you feel safe on a kite that won't reinflate on a 25 mile downwinder ALONE in VERY choppy water and high winds? I think not. If you want the whole story, I will be glad to fill you in. If you PM me I will let you know ALL of the story. :D

Unimog Bob
11-02-2006, 04:41 AM
Toby,
It is out there now. You'd better spill the whole thing in front of God and everybody. This couldn't have happened on the same day and the same downwinder when you put up your 20M in winds gusting to 35, could it? Share the story and the laugh and put it behind you.

Bob

JoshTaylor
11-02-2006, 04:42 AM
Someone has obviously been busy whining!

Tom, try getting both sides of the story next time. There was good reason for doing so, mainly safety. There was a way off of the island that the person in question had just informed me of. The kiter in question found a pump but could not reinflate the kite so it would properly fly. Would you feel safe on a kite that won't reinflate on a 25 mile downwinder ALONE in VERY choppy water and high winds? I think not. If you want the whole story, I will be glad to fill you in. If you PM me I will let you know ALL of the story. :Di've flown a kite with a rip in the center strut before, you just don't pump it up very hard, only enough to keep shape, but still soft. flys fine

from what i hear it was the center strut that had the rip right?

tomstock
11-02-2006, 06:06 AM
God why are you guys such sissies about war stories!

:lol:

Give us a good laugh it's not end of the world! Anyone who has ridden for any significant amount of time has plenty of war stories to look back and laugh about.

Heck I'll post two or three for every one you share.

There was good reason for doing so, mainly safety. There was a way off of the island that the person in question had just informed me of.

Like BOOM the bladder explodes and kills everyone! So how did you guys get off the island anyway? I didn't get to hear the full story, but I'm sure it's funny as hell.

Woodson
11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
I've been waiting all week for this to finally hit the forum...

48 degrees up here, hope the weather is better down your way...

toby wilson
11-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Changed my mind. People can hear the story directly from Gary and I and then decide for themselves wheteher it was a good idea to pull the dump valve or not. :roll:

Drama sux.

tomstock
11-02-2006, 01:33 PM
LOL. Thanks Toby. Well, I got it before you deleted it. Pretty funny, thanks for that.

BigR
11-02-2006, 02:00 PM
That was sooooo funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You shoud'a let the "expanding center strut balloon" explode! :o

I hear They make quite a pop ! :shock:

bryanleighty
11-02-2006, 02:10 PM
i've heard from both sides and both sides and i choose to take no sides..

:)

lesson learned is that communication is a MUST. Dont ASSUME anything.

bayflite
11-02-2006, 07:24 PM
i member this one time a way back...
i was goin2 launch this kite and i looked at the pilot and he pointed up so i launched the kite.
and the pilot got pissed sayin "hey what are you tryin2 kill me, i said wait not go."
bottom line...brothers will fight
now go kite!

Skyway Scott
11-03-2006, 07:02 AM
I remember that story.

Remember when I purposefully put a very pissed off hamster in your wetsuit while you were kiting? That was the best, Bryan :wink:

How about when I couldn't figure out how to launch your kite at NB and the circus music started coming "out of nowhere" and I got pissed.

I tend to forget most of the little B.S. things and remember each time a guy saved me and vice versa. My list of gratitude is way too long to be complete.

Bayflite and Billy (Shell Island,black sky, get saved by paragliders, get wasted after, day)
Billy, Billy again, Billy again.
Raul and my kite at the skyway.
Mark Townsend saving run away kite after my whole harness blew in half (East beach)
Zack, saving me from death spiralling kite at skyway......
ad naseum.

tomstock
11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Yeah... well... I remember the day Scott pulled me in from WAY out at the skyway in NE winds before I got blown over into the rocks. That smellfish dropped out of the sky and I was swimming in deep water with what looked like a big shiny fishing lure!

I haven't had many other big rescues, and I've never lost my kite, but I learned plenty the hard way.

My most recent idiotic moment was self launching in the dark at the skyway at midnight to find my board hanging in my lines 15 feet above my head. It took some creative flying, crawling and jumping to finally get it down without having to ditch the kite. I think I heard circus music too, but nothing like when trying to launch the venom. Launching that thing for the first time is like being gang raped by 3ft clowns at center stage.

:lol:

bayflite
11-03-2006, 11:20 AM
i kinda kike circus music

Skyway Scott
11-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Just today my spreader bar broke (again?) and I was holding on with one hand and blowing my whistle (world's loudest) with the other and Ragg a muffin saved me.
Phewieee... I had no effective leash (it was hooked up to the spreader in the water), so I couldn't have held on too much longer. Definitely helps to have cool people ready to save you around. :)

toby wilson
11-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I can't imagine why it would have broken in a measely 40 knots Scott... :lol:

tomstock
11-03-2006, 08:48 PM
How did it break that you lost the whole bar!? Did it bust the remaining strap on your harness too?

E-Bone
11-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Launching that thing for the first time is like being gang raped by 3ft clowns at center stage.

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=247

bryanleighty
11-04-2006, 03:15 AM
classic Eric!!

ha!!

tomstock
11-04-2006, 07:48 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Skyway Scott
11-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Tom,

The spreader bar broke, not the control bar. It was a pain holding on to a kite in that much wind, one handed. My forearm was killing me (death grip)

Optionryder420
11-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I've gotta thank Cornell (sp?) for fixing up my foot.

Second time I've messed my foot up at East beach... and it kept me off the water today, although I almost started riding at Clearwater because I was driving by and was very tempted.

Erick
11-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Toby, not a problem bro. I'm always there to help a fellow kiteboarder.

tomstock
11-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Tom,

The spreader bar broke, not the control bar. It was a pain holding on to a kite in that much wind, one handed. My forearm was killing me (death grip)

Did the hook break off?

Skyway Scott
11-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Yep. :cry: