PDA

View Full Version : Question about Wetsuits

Freddynmb
10-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey guys how's everything, hopefully good, as you can see the weather keeps getting better and better. Although as you probably noticed is also getting colder down here, so I've been thinking ahead and realized that I'll need a wetsuit soon. Honestly is my first year in the sport, but I already love it as much as you do. Basicaly after doing some research I found out that I'm a bit stuck trying to decide which brand to get o'neills look pretty cool, but rip curl and neil pryde aren't bad either. I just need some advice as far as thickness, brand/model, just anything you may think it's usefull in order to wisesly buy a wetsuit without regreting afterwards. Manly I'll be riding down here in the ft' lauderdale/miami area but occasionally I might go to colder places. Anyways any info will be highly apreciated, so thank you in advance.

Freddy. :D

ricki
10-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Hey guys how's everything, hopefully good, as you can see the weather keeps getting better and better. Although as you probably noticed is also getting colder down here, so I've been thinking ahead and realized that I'll need a wetsuit soon. Honestly is my first year in the sport, but I already love it as much as you do. Basicaly after doing some research I found out that I'm a bit stuck trying to decide which brand to get o'neills look pretty cool, but rip curl and neil pryde aren't bad either. I just need some advice as far as thickness, brand/model, just anything you may think it's usefull in order to wisesly buy a wetsuit without regreting afterwards. Manly I'll be riding down here in the ft' lauderdale/miami area but occasionally I might go to colder places. Anyways any info will be highly apreciated, so thank you in advance.

Freddy. :D

Lots of riders end up with at least two wetsuits, a shorty wetsuit, say around 2 or 3 mm and a full wetsuit say a 3/2 or heavier 4/3. In lieu of the shorty, you might be able to get away with a NP Heatseeker top. I use one of these things year round now. It keeps you cool in the summer and fairly warm in the cooler times. I wore one in St. Pete last weekend, probably should have put on something heavier after several hours but it still worked. There are times in some more severe cold fronts and in points further to the north and west in Florida when even a 4/3 wetsuit may not be heavy enough. Still, you are just starting out and winter is easing on, you might start with a nice 3/2 mm full suit. You want one that is designed for moving around quite a bit, like for surfing, windsurfing, etc. as opposed to say diving. NP does a good job in this area. O'Brian has been around for a long time, I am not familiar with their wetsuits though, could be quite good.

wifirewire
11-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Also if cost is a factor, Ron Jons brand wetsuits are great pricewise. Also since use of a wetsuit is minimal in our somewhat warmer environment(at least for me), they tend to last a long time. I've had mine for three years now and they're still in great shape.