PDA

View Full Version : The wrap-up on Friday afternoon, 10/27/06.

E-Bone
10-27-2006, 07:32 PM
That was fun. Some of us hit the Backside and paid for that decision by having to make a very sketchy launch. Not recommended for anyone and it would have been better for me to keep driving to East Byatch. The wind was just barely side off but the turbulence from the trees was the worst I have ever felt at that spot and it got worse as time passed.

It was also very deceptive at Backside. It didn't feel windy at all, even though I had just driven over the Skyway and saw that it was honking. Randy told me that my 9m would be enough and that is the only reason I rigged it instead of a 12m. Good thing, because once the 9m hit the wind, it was on. Thanks to the dude with the red Element who launched my kite by wading out with it to get the kite into the wind.

Once out and over the channel, though, it was smooth sailing all the way to East Byatch. I was on a 9m Ion and a 130 cm Wipika wake-style board and I had enough. The gusts made me glad that I rigged a 9 instead of a 12. I probably had to make 10 to 20 tacks before I made it over there.

Once I got to East Byatch, I tracked down Billy and Jayson, threw some new mad movez that they have been begging me to teach to them, showed all the East Byatches how to kite, then cruised back over to the Backside. When I came back it it was a sketchy, ballzout process trying to get in with the windstorm going on at the shoreline, but I made it in alive.

Guru was out there at Backside, and his riding continues to progress. He was hauling ass all over the place.

Props to Tom Stock, who showed up at Backside later in the session and made up for it by throwing down hard on a 12 or 13 Best C. We were laughing watching Tom throw big, sustained jumps upwind toward the I-275 rest stop. No question, he was going big and leaving some aggression out there on the water. Yeah, Tom, we saw those jumps--they were f*ck*ng big.

Hell, even a passerby was stoked, exclaiming that "that guy on the blue kite is good!" Tom! You were a hero, brah!

tomstock
10-27-2006, 10:10 PM
It was a 13m Best Tempest. LOL Aw I love you guys! Thanks E. hahaha

I rode over to East Beach to watch the boys who can REALLY jump hoping to learn something. The big boys were going off as usual. I threw a few big ones but without a trick at the top I just wasn't feeling worthy.

I then noticed that my 5th line was frayed and about to break so fearing loosing my kite in onshore wind (east Beach) and possibly hurting someone, I headed back over to backside where it was sideshore and continued jumping over there.

I rode with Colin and Chris who were also throwing nice jumps. There was a 3rd person out there too who yelled to me that they were on a 17M Crossbow! Wow that's quite a wind range because I was lit on my 13M with Beat Float, Depower strap all the way in, bar all the way out. He must have been sh@#$ting his pants in the gusts! LOL

Chris was riding what appeared to be an UG Wt, but when we finally met up on the beach it was a home made board which looked REALLY good for a woodie. I would never have guessed he made it himself. Nice.

When it got dark we rode into the dead zone and dropped the bombs. Mine flipped upside down and fell like the 'fatman' and Chris caught it at the leading edge with one hand. I was amazed! no boom.

So yeah it was fun. Thanks for the props, got a good laugh.

Oh forgot to mention, on the way down from one of those jumps, I switched hands and dove the kite hard for the soft landing...except somehow one end of my bar smacked me right at the bridge of the nose. My eyes watered up and when they finally cleared I had this huge bleeding lump between my eyes. Talk about idiotic things to do.. break your nose with your own bar at the top of a jump. Well fortunately it's not broken but it hurts like hell.

Duh!

If you can't always go big, at least crash big!