PDA

View Full Version : nondominant foot forward blues

jim
10-22-2006, 07:55 PM
hi -i am new to this forum and to kiteboarding. My wife and I are taking lessons and it was recommended we go to the cable park in orlando to work on board skills. I ride my skateboard/snowboard goofy foot, and trying to ride that wakeboard opposite this was a disaster. any tips would be great. Thanks. Jim

Eagle
10-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Jim

Check out the Indo Board balance trainer and you will find that riding goofy is all in your mind. This helps most people develop the necessary skill to become confident riding on your non dominant side.

http://www.indoboard.com/

The cable park is a great tool for learning as well.

Good luck!

jim
10-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks-I have an indo board and it definitely has helped me with balance in jibing on a shortboard.

Skyway Scott
10-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Aha.. a windsurfer, we gotcha now, finally!! :wink:

Jake
10-23-2006, 06:17 PM
We ex- or semi-windsurfers have that problem. I seem to be able to jump better goofy foot.

E-Bone
10-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Hit the cable park and just ride left foot forward all day. You'll get the hang of it. It's easier to focus on some things without having to worry about a kite. Go soon, though, because the lake at OWC is getting colder every day.

Jake
10-24-2006, 05:03 PM
How much money do you have to shell out at the cable park? When is it least crowded? I may make the trip over when it's not windy.

E-Bone
10-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Check out the rates at www.orlandowatersports.com. It is less crowded on weekdays, as a rule. Watch their website for special events, too. It would suck to drive over for some quiet time on the cable and find thousands of people there for some sort of event.

ALBE
10-25-2006, 05:38 AM
been working the orlando airport and hitting o.w.c. from 4 to 7 pm the last few days,yesterday the water was warm compared to the air,,and yes watch out for events,,million kids! :shock:

jim
10-25-2006, 07:29 AM
Been riding my skateboard opposite foot and it definitely helps. on another topic-this fri/sat/sun with the north wind that is forecast where is a good quite uncrowded spot to practice kite control/body dragging, etc?

bryanleighty
10-25-2006, 07:55 AM
big beach in ft. desoto.. go to park, take right at the flag.. drive around the bend and the beach is over the small dune .... think its about 2 miles from the flag.

lots of room, typically uncrowded.. be safe.

Jake
10-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks to E-Bone for the link to Orlando Water Sports. :D

jim
10-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Is the water at Ft Desoto Big beach shallow?

bryanleighty
10-26-2006, 09:38 AM
no.. its a beach and gets deep quick.

but there is a lot of space..

rig small to practice.. be very cautious to go out only a short ways.. water will be too deep to stand but for dragging its a good place to learn and practice.

i'd def. recommend you not kite alone.. if you have someone else learning you should take turns.. or at least get a buddy to be on the beach to help you launch/land and be there in case you need assistance in any way.

jim
10-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks!