PDA

View Full Version : Palm Harbor Lessons

TampaBay Noob
10-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself. The guys over at kiteforum referred me to you folks as more of a local source of information. I live in Palm Harbor, I'm 21 years old, and recently bought some kite gear. I tried flying the kite the other day.....bad idea. I def. need lessons. The boys at kiteforum advised me to purchase a trainer kite before taking lessons, so as to cut down on the costs. I am a college student and don't have money for $100per/hr lessons. Plus I have a trip to the D.R. coming up in december. If any bros here wouldn't mind helping a noob learn the sport of kiteboarding...it would be appreciated. I can pay for the lessons and I'll buy the beers afterwards. I'm basically just looking for a good bro who will help me get started safely. -sean-

sbergren1@yahoo.com

JoshTaylor
10-10-2006, 10:18 AM
bryan eagle
www.tampabaykiteboarding.com

he's good with the prices, won't charge you for each and every hour, he will charge you for what he thinks it was worth

he's also very cool guy.
i've been hanging out with him/working with him since he gave me lessons.

TampaBay Noob
10-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Yeah.... the guys at kiteforum referred me to eagle. I don't doubt his abilities as an instructor, I just can't afford his prices. Maybe I'll email him and see if we can't work something out since I have my own gear.

JoshTaylor
10-10-2006, 12:24 PM
having your own gear will help. but if you want to learn safely and quick... he's the way to go, he's really good with pricing.

i'm sure you guys could work out some sort of deal too.
i will PM you his # so you can get in touch with him quicker.

TampaBay Noob
10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
thanks bro! I'll hit him up.

Skyway Scott
10-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Welcome Noob! :)

TampaBay Noob
10-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey Scott what's up bro? I'm working on this kiteboarding deal...I WILL LEARN. I've wanted to do this for so long and I can't turn back now. Once I learn..I'll hit you up sometime to see if you want to go out riding. I need some kite buddies...lol

Eagle
10-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Sean

Welcome to the forum. There are several people I'd recommend for local lessons if you are itching to get out asap. My weekends wind permitting are booked through December.

Shawn W lives in Palm Harbor and will be returning from Hatteras NC soon. He has been coaching for Real Kiteboarding and I'm sure will hook you up especially since you have gear already.
Steve Sadler is also on the forum and worth contacting for lessons.

Smart move taking lessons, you will learn alot faster and safer than on your own. Take advantage of some of the instructional DVD's, i.e the Real Kiteboarding Zero to Hero video and learn to fly a training kite prior to the lesson and you will maximize your time, money and value.

TampaBay Noob
10-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks a lot eagle! That's what most everyone has been recommending. I think I'll give shawn a call since I live in palm harbor as well.

Skyway Scott
10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Of course you will learn, you are getting great instruction.
Nice to see you on Kiteforum. Stick to this forum for most info. Kiteforum is great, don't get me wrong, but these local guys got you covered :)

TampaBay Noob
10-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Yeah I just gave steve (kite-4-life) a call and we're going to try and set something up, hopefully, within the next week. I can't wait to be part of the community. Maybe some of you guys will see me out at the skyway...I'll be the guy getting dragged across the beach. lol

inferno
10-11-2006, 01:03 PM
sean, when you get a little bit of experience and are good at staying upwind and launching/landing your kite you need to check out sunset beach just south of fred howard park. awsome place for flat water on a west wind, but not the best luanch area...
danny

TampaBay Noob
10-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Inferno- yeah I'm more than familiar with sunset/howard park. I went to Tarpon Springs High School. I've only ever seen one kiteboarder over there...always seems to be the same guy. I planned on kiting there when I got up and going. It's only chest deep grass flats the whole way across...awesome place. Though you're right...not much launch/land room at sunset.