PDA

View Full Version : rick gets a lift

cbc76am
09-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Nice to see even Saftey Rick needs a rescue sometimes! Lets all take a lesson form this one. The bow kites, especially the ones that use 2 to 1 pulley systems don't relaunch when they have the wrong bar and line attached to them. Especially when you try a c-kite bar and lines on them.

Thanks for the free lesson Rick!
see you soon.

ricki
09-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Too true, now that you bring it up, if anyone found a Cabrinha bar at Delray since last Sunday, it's likely mine. Substituting bars is a poor idea, even if the discovery is made at time of setup and with light winds. Some days things just don't come together, accept it and move on to something else. My mistake.

There is a big difference between needing a rescue and accepting one however. I appreciate the considerable swimming and walking time the pickup saved me. Never go further out than you are willing to swim in from. My record swimming gear in is over two miles (never again btw) and using the kite as a sail about 1 1/2 miles. Between broken lines, kites, leashes, wind lulls and changes in direction, etc. I have had to self rescue dozens of times in eight years. Flat kites seem to self rescue poorly despite letting some air out of the leading edge, need to work on that.