PDA

View Full Version : Launch question....does it matter what side?

AEsco48
09-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Think of a map coordinate system, N,W,E, S, you are standing at the origin...wind coming from the north to the south.....does it matter if the kite is in the West or the East with the Leading edge facing the north (into the wind)?

kiwiar2000
09-27-2006, 10:46 AM
kinda obscure way to ask the question, but I think I can help.
Lets say the wind is coming from the North. Its onshore winds on your beach( though it is not recommended to launch near the beach when its onshore) then you'll have someone grab your kite and either position themselves for launching on the East or West. doesnt matter.
REMEMBER,keep your kite low and walk a good football field distance for a safe, distant riding session,man!
later,
Danny

ricki
09-27-2006, 10:50 AM
A good instructor will explain this to you clearly. There is no good reason these days to try to figure all this stuff out on your own in SE Florida.

Here's a tip though, if your lines are correctly attached if you are popped by a strong gust you might want your kite to be close to the water. Guys still routinely launch with kites facing inland because ... ?

AEsco48
09-27-2006, 07:29 PM
last Sun at the lake by my house i was planning on just flying the kite....very little wind...while i waited for the wind to pick up (my father was launching the kite for me)...two guys who said they kite (but not in a year) said i had the kite on the wrong side....though it over again in my head and i was 99% sure it did not matter....switched sides anyways...