PDA

View Full Version : Fanatic Sky Solbach Pro Model or LF mission 138, any reviews

inferno
09-25-2006, 12:15 PM
anybody ridden one of these boards?

are they light?
any pros/cons

shawnwar4586
09-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I ride the 138 mission. Its an awesome board. Danny you might not like it verry much. The board is designed for bigger guys its really wide. Jayson Slezak is like 6'2'' 210 and he designed it for bigger guys.

inferno
09-25-2006, 05:08 PM
you been gone so long you forgot what i look like :lol:
6'1" 195lbs

so the board might be just right for me, i want a high wind board, but not one that i can only ride when fully powered since i cant affford lots of boards...

would you consider it to be fairly light considered to the average board??

not to mention im getting it brand new complete for $330 :shock:

shawnwar4586
09-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Mission is a good powered board. The draw back to being a good high wind board is that it is wide . When the wind gets upper 20's to 30+ I find that I like a smaller board. Its just to wide for me to ride on anything smaller than a 9m. I would just stick with the gear you have now. If it aint broke dont fix it.

BigIan
09-27-2006, 10:36 AM
are you kidding i ride the 144 and that board holds down so much power, great lightwind board everything about it is killer, learn to hodl some power down, it is not too wide.

inferno
09-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Its just to wide for me to ride on anything smaller than a 9m.

its a good thing my smallest kite is a 9m :D

and for 340 complete and brand new, i cant pass that up, the interface kit alone is almost $100

shawnwar4586
09-27-2006, 04:21 PM
are you kidding i ride the 144 and that board holds down so much power, great lightwind board everything about it is killer, learn to hodl some power down, it is not too wide.

See thats just it I can HOLD DOWN MORE POWER WITH A SMALLER BOARD. Thats why I dont ride it in high winds.

toby wilson
09-27-2006, 05:02 PM
As much as I want to :P , I can't find an argument against Shawn's point...I like a smaller board in higher winds too, why wear a garage door on your feet when you can strap on a piece of driftwood and have better control, higher boosting, less resistance, etc.

I only use my Magic Carpet when I HAVE to...but I know NOTHING about these 2 boards you guys are talking about so I'll just shut up! :D

BigIan
09-27-2006, 09:09 PM
sure you could in theory hold down more power, but you loose your POP.... i ride a 144 and would not go any smaller, so if you leanr to ride a bigger board it provides you with more speed and pop, if you have the weight and power to dig the edge in..MY 2 cents. but to each there own

shawnwar4586
09-27-2006, 10:04 PM
I can get just as much pop from my 38 mission powered up as I can from my 130x28 wave tray. It all depends on how much power you ride with. And no not in theory in fact you can hold down more power because the smaller the board the more it acts like an anchor. Btw you should try the 38 mission I can definately pop higher on the 38 than the 44. Ive spent plenty of time on both and comapred them back to back with sleazy and I definately like the 38 better. But like you said to each his own.

BigR
09-28-2006, 05:14 AM
you could in theory hold down more power, but you loose your POP

WRONG!

You definitely can hold down more power AND HAVE MUCH BIGGER POP ON A SMALLER BOARD

A biigger board doesn't let you load up as aggressively and then release as well at the last second

BigIan
09-28-2006, 11:24 AM
actually yes you hold more power down smaller board but, if you can hold the bigger board down it will provide more pop more release off the water. but like i said MY OPINION DOES NOT HAVE TO BE YOURS.

BigIan
09-28-2006, 11:27 AM
besides we digress. The mission board is a killer board fast tons of pop, strong, light, holds down insane amounts of power. so if your not going with a custom board i see no other option..

bryanleighty
09-28-2006, 01:36 PM
ive only ridden large boards so this is just a question im putting out..

wouldnt a smaller board be able to turn to an edge faster for a better pop off the water?

then again.. with a big wide, small rocker board you'd probably have considerably more speed going into that edge/pop...

if anyone of you could ...ummm.. generate some wind around these parts i'd like to put all these theories to a test. your cooperation is appreciated.

BigR
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
slipping into my physics hat/geek hat...

People are forgetting about one thing, DRAG.

Drag is a function of Surface Area and Velocity and Viscosity and ( i believe ) Surface Adhesion Properties ( forgot the exact word ).

Let's keep Viscosity constant since it doesn't change, water is water. Now you have drag as a function of speed and surface adhesion and area.

lets also assume big wide board is traveling at same speed as small skinny board so that leaves Area and surface adhesion of board as the only variables.

Now, the single most overiding issue with getting big air ( assuming equally powered up ) is " A Clean Release " . I would argue that " clean release " is a function of rocker, and width and length ( area ) , and surface adhesion. More rocker and less area = " cleaner release " whereas less rocker and more area = " less cleaner release ". Less board in the water amounts to a cleaner release.

Two different sized boards can have the same surface adhesion properties
so that leaves rocker and area as determinants of " a clean release " which is actually drag.

In a nutshell you are going to have the water itself trying as hard as possible " not to let you go " on the bigger board you are on vs. the smaller board you are riding. And we're not even getting into the last millisecond teak you're able to give that small board that you just can't put on that bigger board

shawnwar4586
09-28-2006, 03:09 PM
The way you get more pop from a board is the shape. A board thats is more square like the mission or the JL park or even a wave tray will have more pop than a board with a ovular shape like a JL charger. Thats how pop is generated by the board. The mission is an insane board thats for sure. I do ride it alot it really is a good board. The only thing I am saying is why ride a cadillac when you could ride a ferarri.

BigR
09-28-2006, 03:13 PM
The way you get more pop from a board is the shape.

Rocker , flex and outline are the other shape/ material variables

in my previous example I was keeping flex and outline constant just having rocker variable since bigger boards have less rocker than smaller boards.

otherwise pretty soon you have too many variables........I tried to stick with just the most significant ones for this exercise

tomstock
09-28-2006, 03:29 PM
If you are on a smaller board, you need more power to plane and stay upwind, so naturally you will be able to jump higher because you have more power available to you. When you move to a bigger board you have a huge range, but you also tend to ride less powered up, and therefore you can't jump as high. Also, you can't hold as much power down with the edge.

The amount you can hold down really depends on your weight and your experience. You'll see pros all riding tiny boards. Billy rides a tiny little underground 122 or something rediculous like that.

No way in hell I could ride that board and ever stay up wind and still be able to stand the pain I would be suffering from the constant load on my harness.

One more thing, extremely short and wide boards (like the super phatty) jump and hold an edge pretty darn good. Landings are a little hard but really not bad.

I started with small boards and have finally settled on a best float because it falls right into the 133x42 range which seems to be perfect for me at 190lbs.

BigIan
09-28-2006, 09:16 PM
okay you guys are way off andre phillip rides a 138 yo u do the math. sure you can sink your small board but you can get more effective edge in hte water to hold against the kite. if your willing to give it more you will give it more pop. IF anyhting the mission is a ferrari. if you ride the bigger board while it takes more effort to pop it will pay off. So my vote go witht he mission 138. look at wakeboarders cable riders etc.. yes pop is the drag you get from the board but look at speed too.

shawnwar4586
09-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Thats what I said basically I ride the mission up to 30. In 30+ I ride a smaller board. Beside who wants to do wakestyle on anything smaller than a 9 anyways. True wakestyle is hard as shit on anything smaller than a 9. You would be sending the kite all over the place once you have un-hooked and poped. I agree that the mission is an awesome board but not my choice in 30+. Last time I tried a ralley to blind on a 7 it went horrably wrong and hurt pretty bad. Looping a 7 is not really that fun. Or atleast my idea of fun.

BigIan
09-29-2006, 03:19 AM
um all the guys in maui do wakestyle on 6-9s most of the time..

BigIan
09-29-2006, 03:22 AM
oh yea besides if you get a mission does nto take much for fins i have a 1inch fins i sanded down to about .8. For that board you probably dont want to go with anyhting over 1.5 hope you get it and your stoked you cant go wrong. speaking of rocker has way more than the fanatic does so you will dig it.. for more wind.

JoshTaylor
09-29-2006, 04:39 AM
Thats what I said basically I ride the mission up to 30. In 30+ I ride a smaller board. Beside who wants to do wakestyle on anything smaller than a 9 anyways. True wakestyle is hard as shit on anything smaller than a 9. You would be sending the kite all over the place once you have un-hooked and poped. I agree that the mission is an awesome board but not my choice in 30+. Last time I tried a ralley to blind on a 7 it went horrably wrong and hurt pretty bad. Looping a 7 is not really that fun. Or atleast my idea of fun.hmm, it's been a while since you've seen me ride hasn't it? my kite quiever is a 12 meter and a 7 meter(switchblades).
I rather ride the 7. The 12 meter is still a sick kite, i learned powerd front mobes on it, but they are more fun on my 7.

I personally don't like big boards...

the only big board i have rode that i have really liked was the board Scott let me try out in Saint Augustine. (sorry forget the name)
but i'd rather ride my 122 FLX, or 133 custom.

also i only weigh a buck 40 :lol:

inferno
09-29-2006, 06:47 AM
133 is a big board for you....

inferno
10-02-2006, 09:59 AM
back to the original subject, i just got the board in and it looks sick!!!!
cant wait to ride it late tonight, and its lighter then i though it would be...