PDA

View Full Version : Wind came back after so long weeks

kiwiar2000
09-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah,
Yesturday was a great day at Matheson Hammocks. (12-16mph)
too bad i got this info from a friend of mine instead of going myself.
anybody rely on the forecasts to an extent such as this situation?
-Danny

ricki
09-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Hello Danny,

These days the only wind in the forecasts seems to be promoted by tropical systems and fronts. Thank God the tropical systems don't seem to be making it through to Florida at present. The cold fronts seem to be a factor in keeping the tropical systems away. Still, the fronts have been pretty weak as can be the case early in the season.

So, what does that leave? Fairly localized, small scale bumps up in useable winds. These may be thermal winds that are rarely forecast but just happen.

Best thing is to keep alert to sudden wind through ikitesurf, private anenometers, shoreside livecams, Howzawind and other input from the scene. Carry your gear or have it close to hand and if the wind pumps up, grab some if you can.

kiwiar2000
09-18-2006, 10:21 AM
i see. so yesturday's winds were not casted on the forecasts because they were rare thermal winds....the infamous thermal winds.....
well, i guess we could start counting off the days when the season starts to approach!
I use www.windguru.com and weather.com
did u get the chance of having a session yesturday afternoon?
-Danny

ricki
09-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Nope, we're driving back from Surf Expo yesterday. Some conditions can indicate a higher chance of thermal winds, things like:

1. Thermal winds in the afternoon on the previous day.
2. Clear, sunny sky ideally the entire day.
3. You can often but not always see them crankup earlier in the day with steadily increasing winds in a near linear fashion. Sometimes though, they just turn on in short order. You really have to pay attention and jump on the winds when they show.

Yes, bring on the stronger cold fronts!

kiwiar2000
09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
where was the Surf Expo hosted @ this year?

ricki
09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
where was the Surf Expo hosted @ this year?

Always in Orlando. Do a word search for expo on this site to checkout quite a few illustrated articles on past events.