PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Fest

FTLKiter
10-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Is anyone going this year? I'll be there.

What spots other than Smathers beach are good near Key West?

FTLKiter
10-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Is anyone going this year? I'll be there.

What spots other than Smathers beach are good near Key West?

ricki
11-01-2004, 07:22 PM
You lucky fellow. It looks there should be some useable wind:

SMALL CRAFT SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION

THIS AFTERNOON: NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS...BECOMING NEAR 15
KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 4 TO 6 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF
STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 TO 3 FEET...THEN AROUND 2 FEET.
NEARSHORE WATERS CHOPPY...BECOMING A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.
TONIGHT: NORTHEAST WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 4 TO
5 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF
AROUND 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED
SHOWERS.
FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY: NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS NEAR 15
KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 3 TO 5 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF
STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE
CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.
SUNDAY: MAINLY EAST WINDS INCREASING TO NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND
THE REEF 3 TO 4 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE
THE REEF 1 TO 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS BECOMING A MODERATE CHOP
LATE. ISOLATED SHOWERS.
MONDAY: EAST TO SOUTHEAST WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE
REEF 3 TO 5 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 1 TO 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

I would get in touch with Greg for more local information through: http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=189&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=.

For NE to S to W winds Smathers is great.

Have fun

ricki
11-01-2004, 07:22 PM
You lucky fellow. It looks there should be some useable wind:

SMALL CRAFT SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION

THIS AFTERNOON: NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS...BECOMING NEAR 15
KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 4 TO 6 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF
STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 TO 3 FEET...THEN AROUND 2 FEET.
NEARSHORE WATERS CHOPPY...BECOMING A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.
TONIGHT: NORTHEAST WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 4 TO
5 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF
AROUND 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED
SHOWERS.
FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY: NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS NEAR 15
KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 3 TO 5 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF
STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE
CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.
SUNDAY: MAINLY EAST WINDS INCREASING TO NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND
THE REEF 3 TO 4 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE
THE REEF 1 TO 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS BECOMING A MODERATE CHOP
LATE. ISOLATED SHOWERS.
MONDAY: EAST TO SOUTHEAST WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE
REEF 3 TO 5 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 1 TO 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

I would get in touch with Greg for more local information through: http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=189&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=.

For NE to S to W winds Smathers is great.

Have fun

ricki
11-01-2004, 07:23 PM
So how was it? I was in New Orleans with NO WIND.

ricki
11-01-2004, 07:23 PM
So how was it? I was in New Orleans with NO WIND.

FTLKiter
11-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Awesome! We had a blast.

1st day I did short session off smathers beach. On the 2nd day the wind was NE so it was offshore for Smathers. We went to the other side of the island and rented a kayak to stow our gear and walked out like a mile past the powerlines so we coud kite. The bottom was nasty. I probably won't do this again and woudn't recommend it. However, we made it out there. Thank god PaulM happened along on a boat giving someone a lesson. He allowed us to secure one of our kites to his boat so my friend could launch me. Then he helped launch my friend. We ended up having a good long session. PaulM mentioned he was doing a trip out in to the bay the next day and we jumped at the oppurtunity. The next day my buddy and I took our girl friends and met Paul at hurricane hole marina. We couldn't go to the normal spot due to some cloud cover, so we ended up going to a different spot and had a blast. I think the wind was blowing about 15 knots. This day ended up being one of the best kiting days I have ever experienced. Plenty of room to take nice long tacks. Beautiful clear flat water. Paul and his g/f attended to any rigging need. Paul even offered some valuable techinque tips even though we weren't taking a lesson. Lunch and drinks were also provided.

PaulM has to be the coolest, friendliest, and knowledgeable kiteboarder I've met. I would highly recommend him to anyone interested in a kite excursion or vacation. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. This guy runs a top notch operation. I've been on a few other similiar trips and the quality pales in comparison.

Oh yeah, and Fantasy Fest was going on at night. We had fun the three nights we went out. The last night (Sunday) ended up being the best time because the crowds we're a little lighter. Friday and Saturday were so packed you couldn't even walk down duval.

I am really surpised that the Florida Keys isn't a more popular kiting destination.

FTLKiter
11-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Awesome! We had a blast.

1st day I did short session off smathers beach. On the 2nd day the wind was NE so it was offshore for Smathers. We went to the other side of the island and rented a kayak to stow our gear and walked out like a mile past the powerlines so we coud kite. The bottom was nasty. I probably won't do this again and woudn't recommend it. However, we made it out there. Thank god PaulM happened along on a boat giving someone a lesson. He allowed us to secure one of our kites to his boat so my friend could launch me. Then he helped launch my friend. We ended up having a good long session. PaulM mentioned he was doing a trip out in to the bay the next day and we jumped at the oppurtunity. The next day my buddy and I took our girl friends and met Paul at hurricane hole marina. We couldn't go to the normal spot due to some cloud cover, so we ended up going to a different spot and had a blast. I think the wind was blowing about 15 knots. This day ended up being one of the best kiting days I have ever experienced. Plenty of room to take nice long tacks. Beautiful clear flat water. Paul and his g/f attended to any rigging need. Paul even offered some valuable techinque tips even though we weren't taking a lesson. Lunch and drinks were also provided.

PaulM has to be the coolest, friendliest, and knowledgeable kiteboarder I've met. I would highly recommend him to anyone interested in a kite excursion or vacation. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. This guy runs a top notch operation. I've been on a few other similiar trips and the quality pales in comparison.

Oh yeah, and Fantasy Fest was going on at night. We had fun the three nights we went out. The last night (Sunday) ended up being the best time because the crowds we're a little lighter. Friday and Saturday were so packed you couldn't even walk down duval.

I am really surpised that the Florida Keys isn't a more popular kiting destination.