PDA

View Full Version : Kite Opinion

waffles
09-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Hey everyone,
Ive been looking through this forum for a while and have always been interested in kiteboarding.
I finally got around to getting some lessons here in Miami and also got a trainer kite (Best 3m). Also, I've spend a whole lot of time online trying to learn as much as I can...even when I'm at work... Like I am now.

Now I'm looking to get some equipment. There are 2 kites that I have been looking at.
The Best Waroo (12) and the Naish Shockwave (12)
And I was given a Naish Haze 133.

what do you guys think? Which would be ideal for a beginner with previous wakeboarding experience? Ive been looking for a kite that is good enough to last past the beginner stage.
From what I have been told and read, a 12 kite and a 133 board is good for Miami wind and for my size (5'9" 160lbs).

Do you have any other suggestions about size, kites and boards?
I heard Cabrinha is a great brand, but its a little to expensive. Hope to hear from you guys. Anything you can tell me would appreciated.

ricki
09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
A 12 m flat kite is a good choice for a primary kite for our area. I know very little about the Naish kite. The Waroo or Cabrinha Switchblade should serve you well not just for starting up but right into advanced riding. You will want something smaller for higher frontal winds once you work up to that skill level but that is a ways off in the future.

waffles
09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks rick.
Yeah i like the Cabrinha Switchblade too but thats a little expensive.
What do you think of the board?

Also how much smaller do you think is needed for frontal winds?

Anyone know about Naish Shockwave kite?

ricki
09-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks rick.
Yeah i like the Cabrinha Switchblade too but thats a little expensive.
What do you think of the board?

Also how much smaller do you think is needed for frontal winds?

Anyone know about Naish Shockwave kite?

I don't know anything about the board either sadly. However at 160 lbs. you can get good performance out of quite a few boards out there. In time you many find a need for a couple of flat kites and a couple of boards. Even at a much heavier 192 lbs. I tend to use one kite most of the time, also a 12 m until recently and two boards. Changing board sizes has a critical impact on riding performance in differing wind speeds.

More important than a smaller kite is the skill and experience to fly in stronger winds. I wouldn't rush that part as the penalties of screwing up can be too high. I would try to hit winds in the 12 to 20 mph range for sometime until you have your skill set down in varied weather and water conditions. You don't want to be messing with 30 mph winds anytime soon.

waffles
09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
No I dont plan on getting anything for higher winds yet. I value being able to move my legs. I'm just interested in getting educated in kiteboarding.

Thanks again for all the info Rick.

ricki
09-07-2006, 09:22 PM
No I dont plan on getting anything for higher winds yet. I value being able to move my legs. I'm just interested in getting educated in kiteboarding.

Thanks again for all the info Rick.

Excellent outlook, one tuned for survival, more rapid advancement and maintained access for our sport. Pass it on!