PDA

View Full Version : 9/6/06 10pm EST "Stunt Junkies" Jason Slezak

Erick
09-05-2006, 07:36 PM
For those who are not yet aware. Tomorrow September 6th on the Discovery Channel Jason Slezak "Massive gap jump".

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/stuntjunkies/episode/episode.html?clik=fsmain_feat3

A-Bomb
09-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that out. ...Curious to see how big that island is.

I would like to have seen the world's fastest stoppie too. I'll have to catch the rerun of that one.

Wildcard
09-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Ought to be interesting, I've got the DVR set.

tomstock
09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Seen em all so far. The stoppie was cool, the snowboarding one is LAME. I mean lame. Not even close to dangerous. Heck the guy falls like 5 or 10 times before pulling it off and doesnt even come close to getting hurt. How is that a dangerous stunt? That's just simple snowboarding.

The rest are pretty good. The craziest one was the kayaker, but they wouldnt play the whole clip at full speed which led me to believe it was sensationalized to be more of a "close call" than it actually was.

CrazyJay
09-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Did u see the one where bob burnquist skates into the grand canyon???
Now that is having some big brass ones. he nearly bought the farm on the first attempt when he nearly slid the rail on his back.

shawnwar4586
09-06-2006, 07:45 PM
The island is only 15ft wide or so. Thats not the stunt though we have all done that. The stunt is he was taking off from a launch ramp and landing on another ramp. It was pretty crazy seeing the discovery channel here. The had like 14 different camera angles and even a helicopter.

tomstock
09-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Did u see the one where bob burnquist skates into the grand canyon???
Now that is having some big brass ones. he nearly bought the farm on the first attempt when he nearly slid the rail on his back.

Hell yeah, that was the first one I saw and all I can say it Bob's got some balls of titanium. I mean hell, he slipped off the rail on the first one...if he'd botched that one any more it have been bye bye Bob. Tell you what, I've been skateboarding for close to 20 years. I've skated big vert ramps and there is no way in hell I would have dropped in on that freaking MONSTER of a ramp, much less slide a rail at the end into the grand canyon. That guy is freaking crazy. I definately wouldn't have the balls to try it with my 3yr old daughter standing there watching. Thats sort of sick and not in a good way, but he did it so what can I say, the guy is nuts.

The guy with the rocket propelled chute for base jumping was pretty crazy too. He almost ate the big one. You have to have a LOT of trust in that chute especially after it failed on him a few months earlier and almost killed him!

tomstock
09-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Guys, I am about to kill the Stunt Junkies editors. Please please just ONE complete shot. They switch scenes so much it's nauseating. I bet they won't show the complete jump without cutting it in the middle!

Wildcard
09-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Of course it wasn't a complete shot. They switched the angle several times. I was expecting a bigger land gap. He barely hit that landing too.

Erick
09-06-2006, 09:46 PM
It wasn't much of a "massive gap jump". Although I do agree the difficulty about the stunt is the precision required to land right on the ramp. Good to see the sport that we all love on the Discovery Channel.

tomstock
09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Well, they did FINALLY show the complete jump. It was big, but also obvious he'd done it several times before (maybe without landing ramp). He overshot the ramp on the first jump... not very impressive.

Now, the guy trying to barrel roll the snow mobile... that was pretty sick.

toby wilson
09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
I thought that landing on a 3 ft wide platform was pretty impressive. I mean, we can all throw jumps but that was a precise landing in high/shifting winds!

What I did find funny was that when they showed the animated model of what Slezak was attempting, the model had 9 lines running from the control bar to the kite!!! :lol: Screw the 5 line kites, when are the 9 line kites/control bars going on the market?!?!? :lol:

JoshTaylor
09-07-2006, 04:49 AM
Well, they did FINALLY show the complete jump. It was big, but also obvious he'd done it several times before (maybe without landing ramp). He overshot the ramp on the first jump... not very impressive.

Now, the guy trying to barrel roll the snow mobile... that was pretty sick.yeah, Shawn said that everyone has done that gap.. it was the whole point that he went from one ramp to another ramp.
also i'm sure most of the audience hardly knows what kiteboading is, and to them it was very impressive. :lol:

amber
09-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Anyone who has ridden off a ramp knows how much is involved, much less sticking a precise landing during tropical and shifting winds. No matter what, the exposure for the sport is terrific. They really built it up and whether it was as hard for Slezak as they made it seem or not, it was pretty fun to watch. However, I could have gone without then monotone guy w/the shades from all of the REAL videos. 8) If you noticed, he was wearing a PFD during the entire shoot. Who knows, maybe he can't swim. In any case, REAL, Liquid Force, etc. got some great free PR as well.

bayflite
09-07-2006, 09:20 PM
my favorite stunt junkie right now is cris angel(mind freak)
dude is levitating and floating from one rooftop to the next
http://grouper.com/video/MediaDetails.aspx?id=1005480