PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place(s) in Florida to Kiteboard

tdemille
10-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I don't mean specific beaches per se, although that would be fine, but more interested in the best region.

tdemille
10-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I don't mean specific beaches per se, although that would be fine, but more interested in the best region.

ricki
10-21-2004, 06:14 PM

When the wind is on it is all good!

It would seem the Florida Keys have the most consistent wind throughout the year. Unless you take a boat out to the reef tract miles offshore the riding is primarily sheltered flatwater.

The east coast seems to have more wind that the west coast on average throughout the year. The northeastern portion of the state has a bit more wind than the southeastern portion. The lower southeastern area, say Broward County south to Miami has more choppy water due to the protection offered by the Bahamian plateau. The northern portion of the southeast coast may have more frequent dewater groundswells. This swell pattern continues northward along the east coast particularly after you travel north of the Bahamas.

The west coast has some great frontal winds from westerly directions when strong cold fronts move through during the later fall, winter and earlier part of spring. Lots of guys commute from the east coast to Marco Island up through Tampa when strong fronts ease through. Just like some guys commute to the east coast when easterly winds are moving. Much of the west coast has lower population densities than SE Florida and urban areas up the east coast to the north. There are some exceptions to this crowding trend, e.g. Naples during prime tourist season. The rest of the year, the guys in parts of the west coast ride with the larger more efficient kites that are available today and do OK. The area north of Tampa drops off in population and even coastal roads south of the Panhandle from maps info. The Panhandle has great wide sandy beaches and lower populations as well aside from some prime tourist areas in season.

There are a LOT of generalities in the above statements and as with any general saying there will always be exceptions. Looking for more specific wind info, checkout the wind archives at ikitesurf.com for past years at locations around the entire state.

Most of the state languishes through much of summer aside from thermal winds and the odd potential kiter smashing tropical system.

ricki
10-21-2004, 06:14 PM

When the wind is on it is all good!

It would seem the Florida Keys have the most consistent wind throughout the year. Unless you take a boat out to the reef tract miles offshore the riding is primarily sheltered flatwater.

The east coast seems to have more wind that the west coast on average throughout the year. The northeastern portion of the state has a bit more wind than the southeastern portion. The lower southeastern area, say Broward County south to Miami has more choppy water due to the protection offered by the Bahamian plateau. The northern portion of the southeast coast may have more frequent dewater groundswells. This swell pattern continues northward along the east coast particularly after you travel north of the Bahamas.

The west coast has some great frontal winds from westerly directions when strong cold fronts move through during the later fall, winter and earlier part of spring. Lots of guys commute from the east coast to Marco Island up through Tampa when strong fronts ease through. Just like some guys commute to the east coast when easterly winds are moving. Much of the west coast has lower population densities than SE Florida and urban areas up the east coast to the north. There are some exceptions to this crowding trend, e.g. Naples during prime tourist season. The rest of the year, the guys in parts of the west coast ride with the larger more efficient kites that are available today and do OK. The area north of Tampa drops off in population and even coastal roads south of the Panhandle from maps info. The Panhandle has great wide sandy beaches and lower populations as well aside from some prime tourist areas in season.

There are a LOT of generalities in the above statements and as with any general saying there will always be exceptions. Looking for more specific wind info, checkout the wind archives at ikitesurf.com for past years at locations around the entire state.

Most of the state languishes through much of summer aside from thermal winds and the odd potential kiter smashing tropical system.

Pete Clark
12-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Hey guys

Main Hobby: Photographing Kiteboarders - Check the webwww.peterclarkphotography.co.uk

Already booked the vacation for Sept 2005.

Kids to Disney, Wife to the malls & the occasional trip to the Beach, (this is where I come in).

Having visited Cocoa, Daytona & the Clearwater Area on many occasions i seem to think that Cocoa is gonna be the place for me to get some cool photographs - unless you guys know any different.

Needs to be within a couple of hours of Orlando, with all the facilities that my wife & kids will need while i slope off to view the K/B's.

BTW - Nice Forum, kinda reminds me of home

Regards

Pete

Pete Clark
12-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Hey guys

Main Hobby: Photographing Kiteboarders - Check the webwww.peterclarkphotography.co.uk

Already booked the vacation for Sept 2005.

Kids to Disney, Wife to the malls & the occasional trip to the Beach, (this is where I come in).

Having visited Cocoa, Daytona & the Clearwater Area on many occasions i seem to think that Cocoa is gonna be the place for me to get some cool photographs - unless you guys know any different.

Needs to be within a couple of hours of Orlando, with all the facilities that my wife & kids will need while i slope off to view the K/B's.

BTW - Nice Forum, kinda reminds me of home

Regards

Pete

www.EastCoastKiteboarding
01-11-2005, 09:08 PM
The south east has the best locations and weather. Check out www.eastcoastkiteboarding.com for spots to ride section coming soon.

http://www.eastcoastkiteboarding.com/images/art-marco-island.jpg

www.EastCoastKiteboarding
01-11-2005, 09:08 PM
The south east has the best locations and weather. Check out www.eastcoastkiteboarding.com for spots to ride section coming soon.

http://www.eastcoastkiteboarding.com/images/art-marco-island.jpg

Carlos
04-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi, I am from Buenos Aires Argentina , and I am planning to spend my vacations in Florida by end of may or first june. I would like to do kitesurf during my holidays so I would like to know where it would be more probable to have wind during this time of the year.

Carlos
04-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi, I am from Buenos Aires Argentina , and I am planning to spend my vacations in Florida by end of may or first june. I would like to do kitesurf during my holidays so I would like to know where it would be more probable to have wind during this time of the year.

ricki
05-25-2005, 04:40 AM

Hello Carlos,

There are always exceptions but typically we have just entered out lightest wind time of the year. More about this at:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=638

Good luck, there is still a lot of other things to do in South Florida that don't require wind.

ricki
05-25-2005, 04:40 AM

Hello Carlos,

There are always exceptions but typically we have just entered out lightest wind time of the year. More about this at:

Good luck, there is still a lot of other things to do in South Florida that don't require wind.

Carlos
05-29-2005, 08:21 PM

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for your answer and I will see what to do.

Carlos
05-29-2005, 08:21 PM

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for your answer and I will see what to do.