PDA

View Full Version : Windsonline

Matteo
08-20-2006, 08:56 AM
when I don't kite for more than 2 weeks straight my mind starts to go crazy...and don't tell me to keep busy washing the car, cleaning the porch and fixing the BBQ because I've already done all already. Anyway, back to my thinking....wouldn't it be nice to have windmeters linked online to AJ's site from where we can get real time windspeed and direction ?? I would place one at Peter's house (when it's finished) and the other one at Mark's house (when it's finished), they both live close to the water.....obviously if they and their kind wifes don't mind !!! does anybody have any experience of how we can do that ??

check out the one in Cabarete...http://windsofcabarete.com/windsOfCabarete/bigWindChart.jsp
I think I better keep myself busy in different ways...what do you guys think ??

PrayFaWind27
08-20-2006, 04:09 PM
2 weeks!,Metteo, I wish that was me, after a couple of not going to church
and enjoying the blessing of the wind God. I Start getting all moody.

I’ve been thinking bout a web base real time
weather station that would cover the island for years, When I
was working at Radisson I asked the GM to install a weather station
on the roof, he said no of course, I even went as far
as asking the head of security at Atlantis who I would need to talk to
bout installing a weather station up on the roof of the hotel, he said
Butch Karnzer and trying to get in contact with him is like trying to
call the President of the USA. Anyways I know he probably say no,unless
I can get him or just one of the Kernzers hooked onto kiteboarding.
As far as setting up a weather station(web base and hardware)
It’s not hard this company http://www.ambientweather.com/weatherflash.html
Have a couple of devices that would do the job, computer wise, all
we would need is a basic low end machine,which I can build in minutes, I’m talking
Windows Xp home edition 900mhz CPU, 512mb memory, 10gig hard drive onboard vid and sound,wireless card, a cheap Cd rom all compact into a very small computer case, something easy to hide. Since AJ already have the URL it would be a snap. The hard part is location!, location!, location!. Since the wind comes mostly all the time from NE,E,SE,S. we would need 2 stations on the South and North ends of the island, Isn’t Muncha building his house on a hill if that’s the case, then only one station would do, just get a couple of Hundred ft pole and that would cover the whole wind range. Wouldn’t
It be sweet to know in real time what the conditions are, all that wasting
gas and time driving to the spot and the wind is crap would be a thing of
the past, wouldn’t it be even sweeter to have the weather station for the real
time monitoring and web cams on Blue hill, Go slow and Goodmans bay. I HAVE
A DREAM!!!

Matteo
08-20-2006, 07:03 PM
You're right, with all the cash saved in gas we can start putting something together, I'm IN.
I have one of those Weather Station with wind and rain gauge, humidity and temperature in and outdoors and must admid that it works perfectly. The only thing, like you said, it's the location. Where I live I don't get any clear wind, the windmeter tends to be 3-5k off the reality but it has its own solar panel to power it up.
One of my buddies lives on EastBay and his house is right on the water. I'm sure he would not mind....

PrayFaWind27
08-28-2006, 06:10 AM
We will be limited and only cover the N,NE, NW
and depending on where the house is you would have to
consider how the house and trees will affect the instruments reading
and the fact that the other wind range will be blind. Does anyone knows, someone that lives on
hill? I think the hill station makes more sense if we’re going to
get going with the system the whole wind range has to be the
end result to make it feasible and worth while.