PDA

View Full Version : why is it that all I read on forums is....

jumpinjoe
08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
...............that Darn Best Name?
Quick introduction:
Hi ya all,
I have been kiting for little under a year and love the sport so much. I'm not that goood yet...but giv it a chance because I'm no spring chicken. To be honest I’m happy just kiting without all these un loop handle tricky things. I learnt how to kite in Flt Lauderdale with one of the kite schools and I'm quite independent at the moment. This web site has been a wealth of information regarding spots and safety, so thanks Mr Web guy. My question is to all out there is what’s up with gear especially the BEST stuff? All I can gather is that there are to camps, one who loves and the other. So who do I believe? The school that I learnt at, don’t get me wrong, were trying to sell me on the gear I was taught on but clearly weren’t BEST sellers. I have 2005 gear and I’m ready to upgrade to 07 equipment. Some helpfully information would be great in my next purchase. Joe D

Skyway Scott
08-12-2006, 09:39 AM
If possible demo stuff. It is the absolute best way to get real information.
Demo your friend's gear, demo at "announced" demos and/or find a couple guys you trust and ask their opinion is my advice.

It is often difficult to get past hype, but it can be done.
Each rider has different likes/dislikes as well, so a great kite or board to one rider is just so-so to anotherl, reinforcing how great a demo can be.
Local forums tend to have less bias information. (altho pimping can occur) Kiteforum is over run with hype. It is often impossible to get much off of kiteforum as a consumer.
Good luck. :wink:

ricki
08-12-2006, 06:57 PM
In the area of C kites, the consensus view is that most major brands have approached one another in terms of general performance in the last couple of years. There are often minor variations in attributes that will appeal to some riders and not as much to others. It comes down to personal preference to some degree.

Demo'ing as Scott said is the way to go.

Flat kites are newer and there are a lot of improvements being made in different ways and times across the industry. There are some incredible performers out there and flat kites are an excellent development particularly for new kiters. I would recommend going to a flat kite but try to demo your choices as well as you can work it out.

JoshTaylor
08-12-2006, 08:23 PM
...............that Darn Best Name?
Quick introduction:
Hi ya all,
I have been kiting for little under a year and love the sport so much. I'm not that goood yet...but giv it a chance because I'm no spring chicken. To be honest I’m happy just kiting without all these un loop handle tricky things. I learnt how to kite in Flt Lauderdale with one of the kite schools and I'm quite independent at the moment. This web site has been a wealth of information regarding spots and safety, so thanks Mr Web guy. My question is to all out there is what’s up with gear especially the BEST stuff? All I can gather is that there are to camps, one who loves and the other. So who do I believe? The school that I learnt at, don’t get me wrong, were trying to sell me on the gear I was taught on but clearly weren’t BEST sellers. I have 2005 gear and I’m ready to upgrade to 07 equipment. Some helpfully information would be great in my next purchase. Joe Ddef. agree with scott, demo some stuff

i'll let you ride my switchblades to try them out, personally my fav. kites, and one of the most stable bow kites i've ever seen/rode.