PDA

View Full Version : Good kite to buy?

ricki
08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
I am new to the sport. I took a 2 day course and was able to get up on the board using a 11m "C" kite. I have decent control but need a good beginner kite.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 13m or 15m Slingshot Fuel at a good price.

Or possibly at 14m Cabrinha Element

They both look like a good "C" shape 4 line kites. What does anyone think?

Any other suggestions?

I think in the long run a 5 line hybrid will be better, but the C seemed easier to learn on.

C kites have a huge following and probably will be around for sometime to come. Both the Fuel and Element are both well regarded kites.

Quite a few instructors have been shifting to flat kites however for instruction as the learning curve is often shorter with them. So, for a new kiter, you might want to think over whether to go with a C kite or perhaps to shift to a flat kite. You may remember getting yanked on your face during the course depending on wind conditions? Avoiding this is easier with flat kites.

cw
08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks Rick.

ricki
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Is this for riding primarily in Colorado? Do you head out to Lake Dillon?

cw
08-08-2006, 01:30 PM
In summer- Lake Mac in Nebraska
In Winter - Lake Dillon

It seems like both kite are good, but the Cabrina seems to have a better relauch system for snow and water? That's important as I will be crashing kite all the time.

Although the fuel seems like it may have better response?

Any thoughts?

ricki
08-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I've been to Lake Dillon a number of times but only in winter. Have you been to the new kite shop in Frisco yet? I hadn't heard about Lake Mac before.

One thing about inland kiting is that it is gusty, flat kites handle gusts easier than C kites particularly if you are new.

The Element has the RECON II system so reverse launches should be feasible. The conventional wisdom was as of 2005 the flight performance was getting pretty close among many of the C kites and it largely came down to individual preference at that point.

kiwiar2000
08-19-2006, 09:05 PM
c kites=cheap
flats, sle's, bows=expensive
ur choice