PDA

View Full Version : sand Key

Picasso Boy
07-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Is anybody familiar with the sand key area?
can you launch from there or is it off limits??
Just curious.
Thanx....

Technochick
07-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Sand Key is a cool place to ride. MyWayScott has ridden there many times and loves the spot. I am sure he will pipe in soon to answer you.

bayflite
07-31-2006, 07:32 AM
sand key in clearwater used to have a ban on kiters...but that(i think) has changed as of late.
some polesurfers ride the intracoastal(next2 the sailing center) on easterly winds but with clearwater pass right there, boats come zippin round the bend...
plus gusty/shifty winds steal your fun factor...i wouldn't recomend it.
if you go2 the gulf side...ask a lifeguard if it's cool and you let us know the deal.

Skyway Scott
07-31-2006, 08:08 AM
Bayflite nailed it.

Don't waste your time in the IC waterway. I rode there 3 times. Some of the worse possible riding due to gusty conditions AND cigarette boats will simply run you over coming around the corner there.

Sand key gulf side: I went in the winter time ONLY, with Roberto, Donna, the Foxes, and several others about 15 times. It was awesome. I never went when there were lifeguards there (so I don't know the "rules"). I would stay away until the winter, or at least ask them.

What makes it special in the winter is the lack of side shore current close tothe the Pass on NWs. If you stay close the to the Pass, holding ground/going upwind is a piece of cake and the waves in there were pretty good. Up to 30 surfers at a time in there (in the winter).

Also, last winter on the Norths, it commonly was blowing 16 to 20+ there while it blew 10 or less further south, like TI or PaG. Weird.

Picasso Boy
08-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the help...looks like I'll find somewhere else for awhile!!