PDA

View Full Version : Can you really get away with one kite quiver ???

Matteo
07-22-2006, 07:28 AM
With these new Bow kites coming out I keep seeing wider wind ranges, the other day I saw Peter staying upwind with his 11m while myself, Dave and Shuman were all on bigger kites (14-16m). Shuman, how long have you had your CB16 as one quiver kite ?? and how many days do you think you have missed because you wished you had a smaller kite ?? Now the second generation of Bow seems to be able to produce the same power with smaller kites (Contra14 feels like CB16, the Rebel12 is claimed as one kite quiver and the Halo10 has a huge range). We all used to have more than one kite because of their narrow wind ranges and don't forget the even narrower sweet spot that in few kites could even be 2-3k range. 2 or 3 kites quiver was normal and maybe a fourth kite for those super windy days.

Now that I see all these new Bow coming out I'm asking myself if, for the conditions that we get here all year round, can we really get away with a one kite quiver ??

What do you guys think ??

JoshTaylor
07-22-2006, 08:43 AM
1 kite quiever with a bow, if you don't plan on riding light winds, or the opposite if you don't plan on riding in really high winds

a 2 kite quiever with bow kites and you will be set for all winds.

I weigh abotu 130, and i ride a switchblade 7, and 12

works for all winds, but i'm getting a 14 contra for thoes days it's sub 10, and the 12 is sketchy

Skyway Scott
07-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Josh,

I have been riding the 12m Contra as a light wind kite (its Donna's).
Its prolly all you need (you are good at milking the low end out of smaller kites)

Its got pretty unreal low end. I was riding it yesterday out here when Chris Moore was on a 15m Ion. I was cranking upwind, he was going downwind/holding ground.
I know it seems weird to have two 12m kites, but Donna has a 12m Ion and a 12m Contra. Yep, there is a lot of overlap, BUT, that is kinda the point (in my mind) Why get blown off your light wind kite when it picks up to 16?

For her, the 12m Contra will work from solid 9 to 16 knots, the 12m Ion from solid 13 to 22 (or more).

Top end on the 12 Contra (comfortable) is around 20 (for me)
On a good light wind board, I can hold ground on the 12m Contra in solid 10 knots :D You could do better since I weigh more.

I was definitely put in shock by the low end on the Contra 12 the first time I rode it.

PrayFaWind27
07-22-2006, 06:26 PM
I think I got my 16m Cab bow, during the early part of Dec 05(I’m not sure)
and only twice since then I couldn’t ride, due to the 20+ knots, I’m
about 165 lbs and the limit for me with that 16 C Bow is 18 gusting 20 knots
and I mean almost out of control make noo mistakes and loving it over powered :P , anymore than 20k and
It’s suicide, the wind range with that 16 is bout 11-20 knots,(for me at least) I know I can probably ride in 10k but with a wind surf or Balloon boys wide board . One kite quiver isn’t possible but with the Bow 2 kites max
for me 16m& 9m C bow. With all the hype about this and that kite wind range ability I think it’s all bogus, Peter’s 11m G Sonic was said to be able to ride in 5knots, at least
that’s what he was told by the guys at Real kite boarding who sold him that lemon,i mean kite :D
and come to find out anything under 12knots and that kite turns into spaghetti and let us not forget Best and there silver,foil paper looking whacha ma call it :) . Unless
they make a kite that can change it’s size in mid air you’re always going to need more than one kite.

Skyway Scott
07-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah,

I don't see how one kite can cover it all. But, I am impressed with being able to ride a kite from 10 to 20. Used to be (4 years ago) I would put up a 19m for light wind and get blown off in solid 14 knots. That wasn't so much fun :? having to get off the water just when it should have gotten fun.

JoshTaylor
07-23-2006, 09:17 PM
yeah, i'm getting a 14 meter contra, i should be riding in sub 5 knots!
haha

I will have a 3 kite quiver... all bows.. but thats because i like to ride in all winds, including very high winds.

love both of my switchblades. and i'm sure i will love the contra too.

PrayFaWind27
07-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Sub 5 knots.Wow! is that even possible. better yet, is it any fun?

Skyway Scott
07-24-2006, 07:49 AM
He's just being funny. I don't think sub 7.23457 is possible (unless seriously opposing current). Hell no, it aint fun.

For me, right at 11 knots I start to have quite a bit of fun on good gear :)

Matteo
07-24-2006, 05:15 PM
so this is what I'm thinking: 2 kites and 2 boards. A 14-16m Bow that should really get me going on a small surf board from 10-12k, at 15k I switch board to my 120cm twin tip and above 20k I'm on a 7-9m Bow that should really keep me going until 30-35k. I'll change the 14-16m kite ,which I consider it to be my money-kite, every year and change the small one every two years since I am not going to use it that often. The years that I don't have to change the small kite I change the twin tip.

By doing this I should be able to ride in almost 100 % of our conditions and spend no more than 2000 usd a year in kite stuff.

Now the hard question is: what is the best 14-16m Bow that will make me have fun after 10-12k ?? I'm 70kg with a tendency towards the 75kg during Easter and Christmas :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was impressed by the new Contra 14m, it's very light on your arms, flies nicely and has impressive low end. The Halo 14m has impressive low end too but needs to be improved for speed and jumping.

balloonboy
08-04-2006, 08:46 AM
All I really can comment on is AR cause thats all I ride.

One kite? I would have said either the 14 or 10 Halo but you compromise the high or low end and the 14 is a slow turner. I'd prob say the 10m- with a big board you wouldn't give up much low end- I don't and I am 177lbs.

But this year the they have a 12m and the speed on the bigger ones has improved and the smaller ones are more stable- so they say. I haven't tried as yet but I'm guessing the 12 could be ideal one kite solution.

That said I'm likely staying with new 14 and 10 combo with Exile and Protoy- 2 boards and kites fit in my car nicely. I have the new Converse surfboard coming which I may keep as dedicated wave board for speacial days- but it doesn't fit in my car :cry: