PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Bradenton Beach August 1-4 - Looking to learn

gaines
07-21-2006, 05:00 AM
Every year we head down to Anna Maria island and stay the week in a condo on the beach. In the past I've spent most of my time flying stunt kites and enjoying the beach in general, but I recently found out about kiteboarding and I figured FL would be the place to give it a try.

I'm in the process of contacting a couple of the trainers mentioned on the forums here, but I'd still love to get in touch with some of the local hobbyists. I'm not sure what the regulations are, but maybe you could come board at Bradenton Beach and show me how it's done! :)

- Gaines
(615) 412-9739

bryanleighty
07-21-2006, 08:15 AM
hopefully you can rent out a hellicopter to land near the beach and use it to create wind that you will need....

ha.

seriously tho.. there is only a marginal chance that there will be wind enough to even fly a kite during those days.

contact a local kite instructor.. maybe you can do some land lessons to get your knowlege up on the sport, but if you really want to learn in ideal conditions Florida during the summer is not the place to go. Head to Hatteras area in North Carolina or to some choice spots in Texas... there you can sign up for one of those 3 or 4 day lesson packages where you will get some real on-water experience in correct conditions.

Winter in Florida is prime time..

goodluck!

-B

toby wilson
07-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah, the summer sucks. :(

gaines
07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
First, I'd like to thank Steve Sadler for taking the time to call me and chat. It seems to be pretty definite that the wind is going to be weak during the first week of August and I don't want to waste time/money trying to get on the water without wind, so I'm thinking about just getting a trainer kite and spending some time on the beach getting a feel for it.

My biggest issue is that there's no place around here (Nashville, TN) to pick up that sort of stuff so I'll probably need to wait until I get down there to get a harness and kite. So if anyone has a used trainer kite that they'd like to sell, I'll be looking for one come August 1st.

As for the harness, where's the best place near Anna Maria Island to find one? I'm a pretty big guy so chances are I'd need to get a new one (most people aren't my size).

gaines
07-21-2006, 02:04 PM
This may be a dumb question, but would you consider the handling of a Revolution quad kite (1.5 SLE) is similar to a traction kite?

toby wilson
07-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Gaines, I have a backup harness and am 6'6" tall and 250 lbs, are you bigger than that? I would be more than happy to let you use my extra one while we ride...

As for a trainer kite, try EBay. Also Ikitesurf's buy/sell section is a possibility. Just make sure to read the 'scam alert' thread on this forum before buying on either site. Or you could go to www.oceanextremesports.com or www.watersportswest.com if you want to buy a new one (they are a bit expensive, about $250). www.bestkiteboarding.com has some less expensive new ones...

Good luck and feel free to send a PM if you have any other questions...

JoshTaylor
07-21-2006, 02:24 PM
(they are a bit expensive, about $250). nah, not that expincive, more like 150

toby wilson
07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
http://www.watersportswest.com/shopcart/agora.cgi?cart_id=6752873.5363*i775n2&p_id=4500&xm=on&ppinc=search2

You sure about that Josh? Does Watersports West sell trainers other than Slingshots? Are you talking about Flexifoil trainer kites at Ocean Extreme? They (Ocean Extreme) have trainers for as low as $99 so I stand corrected...

http://www.oceanextremesports.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_39

gaines
07-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Gaines, I have a backup harness and am 6'6" tall and 250 lbs, are you bigger than that? I would be more than happy to let you use my extra one while we ride...

I appreciate it. I'm two inches shorter (6'4") and about 50 lbs heavier. My guess would be that I'm a good bit...umm...thicker than you. *grin*

...but I don't know how the harnesses usually fit and if they're adjustable.

As for getting a trainer kite, I kind of like the idea of getting a small quad so I can get used to them since I don't figure I'll end up using a dual line.

All of the trainer kites at Extreme Kites seem to be dual lines. Is starting off with a quad that uncommon?

toby wilson
07-21-2006, 11:51 PM
A harness isn't really important until you have several hours of flying a trainer kite anyway gaines. You are welcome to try mine on though for size... Lessons would be my first concern prior to purchasing any gear if I were you. You won't know what gear is right for you until you have tried out several different harnesses, kites, boards, bars/lines, etc. The best way to learn what you like is to take a 'test drive' on demo gear from your local kite shop or to just see if you can try out someones stuff. You will be surprised, a lot of the guys don't have a problem sharing their gear as long as you have good control and proper instruction. Good luck!

mermaid
07-22-2006, 01:09 AM
This may be a dumb question, but would you consider the handling of a Revolution quad kite (1.5 SLE) is similar to a traction kite?

No not similar at all. I have an NPW quad and while you can use a quad for buggying, landboarding, kite skating etc. you are not using handles for kiteboarding. You'll be using a bar. If you think you'll be doing some land type of kiting though, the rev would probably work ok since you'll have more control. The two are not that similar at least to me... However, the pull that the NPW can generate is as much as a trainer so in that sense the pull if the rev has much, may be similar.

One thing though, don't buy a cheapo trainer (t foil or thunder foil made by go fly a kite or someone like that) and I found anything less than 2.9 m trainer isn't as good to work with.

So if you decide you are doing more land kiting type of stuff, the quad will work for you. If you want to get in the water, a dual line is what you need.

There are people that teach quad line type of flying for buggying on land in St. Pete over by the Bilmar hotel. I hung out with a guy doing that a couple of weeks ago and it looked very fun. I however don't have a name of the instructor but possibly kitesville (a kite store here) might. As for the wind though... you'll need it whether you choose to stay on land or the water.

HTH!

JoshTaylor
07-22-2006, 08:18 AM
http://www.watersportswest.com/shopcart/agora.cgi?cart_id=6752873.5363*i775n2&p_id=4500&xm=on&ppinc=search2

You sure about that Josh? Does Watersports West sell trainers other than Slingshots? Are you talking about Flexifoil trainer kites at Ocean Extreme? They (Ocean Extreme) have trainers for as low as $99 so I stand corrected...

http://www.oceanextremesports.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_39My bad, read it to quickly, i thought you were talking about a harness being 250 lol

but i'm not sure if watersports west is selling any other brands in trainer kites, they have been getting alot of new kite brands in there, i'm sure they've got some cheaper ones.

KITEBUM
07-26-2006, 05:39 PM
I ride on Anna Maria and have for a long time. There are only three of us that ride off the Island but the winds are actually good and better than some other places I have been. There are pleanty of places to ride and most are fairly secluded in that there aren't many people there if any at all. The sea breeze blows just about everyday after 2:00pm or so, although that time of years is light everywhere. If you are going out there go to the northen part of the island, that's where the good spots are. Stay away from Bradenton beach and any of the public beaches. We often go off shore a little ways to catch some of the winds out there when it's really light. Where did you fly before when you went down there because I have been flying kites there for a long time, we've probably met.

gaines
07-26-2006, 09:56 PM
We usually get a couple condos in the La Costa complex and I would fly out front of there (within a half mile or so up or down the beach). That's mostly south of the public beach.

If ya'll end up going out, I'd love to watch if nothing else.
(615) 414-9739

gaines
08-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Well, our first couple days have been great. I got some kiting (not boarding, just kites) in, although the wind is pretty dead/gusty except in the late afternoon.

I can see that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to kiteboard in this. :(

I am getting the hang of my quad line kite, but I'm a bit confused. It looks like all the kiteboarders in the videos only have dual line kites...but I read that you really want to use a quad line for greater control (ie. the ability to power down instantly).

Our condo phone number is (941) 778-1496 if you're on Anna Maria Island and want to hang out before Saturday give me a ring.

mermaid
08-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi Gaines,

It comes down to steering the kite with handles vs. a bar. Yes there are 4 lines on kiteboarding kite and there are 4 lines on a rev. I have flown both and to me they are nothing alike. Kiteboarding is like bicycle steering (in terms of motion with your hands and arms) and flying the rev is like playing the drums (in terms of wrists, arms and hands) in slow motion.

The trainer for simplicity sake only has 2 lines so you get the basic understanding of how the kite flies through the air (steering) and the wind clock concept. Very Early kiteboarding kites were dual line but as they have evolved the number of lines has changed to offer more performance and safety.

Hopefully I am not confusing you too much. I hope maybe someone goes down to Anna Maria. I have to work or else I could at least show you the difference.

gaines
08-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks mermaid. That helps as I've noticed the rev is very touchy when it comes to the angle of the handle and I can't imagine trying to ride a board while doing that type of flying.

Even if nobody ends up making it to Anna Maria Island before I have to head out Saturday, it's already been a great trip. Sitting by the pool with a crisp evening breeze and good music streaming over the laptop. All that would make it better is a couple of Coronas but I left them up in the condo and I'm too content to get up. :)