PDA

View Full Version : Bowver-confidence

Skyway Scott
07-10-2006, 06:26 PM
I think this is a pretty good "article"
http://www.extremekiteskiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?p=1001#1001

Tom and I have talked about some of this stuff. It'd be nice to get a conversation on this topic going. :lol:
Anyone remember the 'old' days? when we would rant about crap? (for really no reason) C'mon... :twisted:

JoshTaylor
07-10-2006, 09:00 PM
good topic.

i'm confused on why everyone hates bow kites?

also scott when you gana be back in the area??

toby wilson
07-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I hate not really 'feeling' the kite pull when I fly it at 12 o'clock in the wind window...the constant sheeting is kind of annoying to me as well. But I do like the way they jump!

tomstock
07-11-2006, 08:08 AM
No thanks, my forum discussion is limited to when everyone is riding and thats it. Why bother.

Skyway Scott
07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Josh,

Thanks for asking. I hope to visit soon. The workload here is more than I ever expected (and I tend to want to get things done, so I have been burying myself in work). Donna has been visiting this way every other weekend. I am homesick beyond reason (no exaggeration).

Well, I guess the bow discussion won't happen. I don't hate them.
I thought it was a good topic too.

I happen to love bows for just riding (especially in gusty winds/waves). The ability to easily "spill wind" reminds me of windsurfing. I still am not so pumped about doing tricks on them (all 5 :x ), unless I gerry rig a bar and 'lock it down'. But, that's my riding style. I really like the idea of just rigging the 15 when sub 20 and the 12 when 20 to 30 tho :P

Big G
07-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Scott,
How a feeling? You werent doin so well this past weekend. Hope all is better!
Big G

JoshTaylor
07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Josh,

Thanks for asking. I hope to visit soon. The workload here is more than I ever expected (and I tend to want to get things done, so I have been burying myself in work). Donna has been visiting this way every other weekend. I am homesick beyond reason (no exaggeration).

Well, I guess the bow discussion won't happen. I don't hate them.
I thought it was a good topic too.

I happen to love bows for just riding (especially in gusty winds/waves). The ability to easily "spill wind" reminds me of windsurfing. I still am not so pumped about doing tricks on them (all 5 :x ), unless I gerry rig a bar and 'lock it down'. But, that's my riding style. I really like the idea of just rigging the 15 when sub 20 and the 12 when 20 to 30 tho :Pawesome, hope to see you on the water here agian soon!

I ride bows, and love them. I really don't see why people dislike them so much? maybe they are scared of change? for tricks, i can still do all the same tricks i did on a C kite, and more. they feel the same as if i were riding a C kite too, except when i eat shit i just let go of the bar (when unhooked) or sheet out if hooked in and i don't get worked as bad.

Toby,
unless you have it sheeted out when it's at 12 you can still feel it.
I've heard that from a few people that they like having the stopper ball. I used to ride the stopper ball too, It's not as bad as you'd think. I can still take on hand off and ride, but not for as long with the stopper ball.

inferno
07-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Toby,
unless you have it sheeted out when it's at 12 you can still feel it.
I've heard that from a few people that they like having the stopper ball. I used to ride the stopper ball too, It's not as bad as you'd think. I can still take on hand off and ride, but not for as long with the stopper ball.

thats why i built my own TD bar, so i can use the active stopper ball, makes riding so much easier, especially when you have to unspin your bar...

tomstock
07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I think most of the experienced bow guys are using some form of stopper ball to reduce bar travel, etc. I like the bows but dont feel like selling off my quiver of 6 C kites... because of the overlap I'm less likely to get screwed out of riding when a kite splits or pops.

Skyway Scott
07-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I have several "home made" bars taking advantage of the Turbo Diesel stopper approach as well for the bows. Donna uses the TD on the Ion and may use it on her Contra (yep, Josh, I said Contra)

I like the bows for the most part, Josh :D

JoshTaylor
07-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I have several "home made" bars taking advantage of the Turbo Diesel stopper approach as well for the bows. Donna uses the TD on the Ion and may use it on her Contra (yep, Josh, I said Contra)

I like the bows for the most part, Josh :DNice!
i'll be getting a contra in a little bit, gotta save up some money and get my old slingshot kites sold... yeah still not sold.. pretty crazy

BigR
07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
What size contra were you thinking of for her Scott? the 12m Contra?

Skyway Scott
07-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Yep. She has a blue one. Hell, it seems to be plenty for me.

Gary, tx for asking. I am still sick :x
Oh well. Still rode Sat and Sunday (prolly why I am sick)

JoshTaylor
07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Yep. She has a blue one. Hell, it seems to be plenty for me.

Gary, tx for asking. I am still sick :x
Oh well. Still rode Sat and Sunday (prolly why I am sick)hope you get well soon.

i'm getting a 14 meter contra.

i've got a 12 meter switchblade, so no need for a 12 contra.

should definitly be plenty for me in super light days.

toby wilson
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I'll try to add a stopper ball to my ION and see what it feels like then. Thanks for the advice...

Skyway Scott
07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Toby,

It may not be necessary. Don't forget, I am from the stone age :shock: