PDA

View Full Version : FL is not the only place crazy about Towups!

BigR
07-06-2006, 02:48 PM
There you go CrazyJay, more competition! LOL! :lol:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-1661.html

JoshTaylor
07-06-2006, 03:03 PM
i think jay and billy have got that guy beat for sure.

CrazyJay
07-06-2006, 03:10 PM
weird how they are on the exact same jetski as Bill's.
The only difference is that they were tied onto the towrope. I learned from neil's mishap that that is a BAD BAD BAD idea. Not every towup goes smoothly so its nice to be able to let go at 15-20 feet and try again.
if the guy driving the ski isn't clued in he can overstress your gear and THAT is what causes failures.... and serious injury.
Their brass balls must be bigger than mine..... or else their medula oblongata is smaller.

BigR
07-06-2006, 03:12 PM
I am not so sure about that Josh.

That guy is Amery, The best Kiter in the Gorge.

Oh I see crossbows can be used for towups as well! :lol: :D :o

JoshTaylor
07-06-2006, 03:16 PM
I am not so sure about that Josh.

That guy is Amery, The best Kiter in the Gorge.

Oh I see crossbows can be used for towups as well! :lol: :D :otru tru

yeah, jay was saying he likes using flat kites during tow ups.

Kev
07-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Jay - Using those big med terms.... but don't you mean Cerebral Cortex.
The medulla oblongata controls breathing and such not crazy thinking. :) just a thought......

mocean
07-06-2006, 09:32 PM
that was one of the gnarleyest things I've seen.
to tell you the truth one of the locals here in nassau was asking me to tow them with my jetski,due to masive liability and being freaked out by his girl I decided not to do it.
aj

toby wilson
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I have seen both Billy and Jay do towups and I'd put my money on them any day of the week...I agree, that locked in stuff is just plain stoopid, the guy in the gorge may be a great kiter but he obviously learned very little from Neil's misfortune!!!

Towups + being locked in = stupidity + possible injury or death!!!

tomstock
07-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Just remember, when one line breaks, the other one does too.

bryanleighty
07-07-2006, 09:14 AM
There are definitely those that feel the need to push the envelope more than others...

Its pretty damn amazing what you guys do on a tow up...
Personally I'm one of those guys just damn happy to be riding and doing my little jumps and hoping to be able to throw in some sweet spins very soon.

What happens 10 years from now? Will that not be enough to be fun for me? Never know.

Watching the Autofocus dvd.. all the guys have the attitude that they must push the boundaries more and more..

I can envision a dvd dedicated to towups ... tho to the casual onlooker it might just be more like parasailing...

Eagle
07-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Just remember, when one line breaks, the other one does too.

Using stock kite lines for tow ups is pretty crazy, they might be rated for 600#, although I doubt there is quality control in place at the kite line factory to ensure this rating. Not sure I'd trust the Chinese with my life.

I would highly recommend using leader lines all the way to the kite attachment points. The Amsteel line is pretty tough and would be less likely to break than dyneema or spectre line.

BigR
07-07-2006, 10:10 AM
You gotta be careful what type leader line, some are pretty weak,

1200# Q line might be good

CrazyJay
07-07-2006, 10:28 AM
what Tom says above is true: when one line breaks so do others.
The thing is... in 7 years of riding i have NEVER NEVER broken a line. I have broken 40+ pigtails, 3 bars, , several harnesses and harness bars, 2 chicken loops, countless chicken loop lines, and just about every other piece of equipment.

But Tom is correct. When one piece of equipment fails it tends to overload the rest and they break in succession.

I have a few ideas to correct this but it is a trial and error process. Thats why i plan on spending most of my time around 20-25 feet until we get these ironed out. Plus, the future of competitive towkiting is at the 20-30 ft level.

looks like we might get rained out today but i'll keep ya'll posted if we go out.

Eagle
07-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Alex Peterson might be a good source of info as he does some pretty crazy stuff with his kites. AP(at)AlexPetersonKiteFlight.com

www.alexpetersonkiteflight.com

toby wilson
07-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Good point Eagle. Also, if there is such scrutiny on towups, why aren't people giving these snow kiters a hard time? These guys loop the kite off of cliffs so I am told from a guy I met from Utah (He is the one who sold me the 25.5 Machine)!!! Where is the difference there and in the water? They are all taking calculated risks and are aware of it... The snow kiters can fall to jagged exposed rocks and have just some powder before hitting the rest of the ground if they fall...

I think Jay and Bill are definitely paving the way for a new way of expanding the sport. It may be dangerous, but like I said...they are aware of the risks that they are taking and choose to move forward. I, for one think they are taking the necessary precautions and are doing it as safe as possible...

I'm with Bryan though, only been here less than a year and am content cruising and jumping...for now!!! But I've gotta say that I do love watching them push the limits!!! 8)