PDA

View Full Version : No promises here guys...

Optionryder420
07-04-2006, 10:08 PM
My neighbors house is 4 stories tall, perfect location for a windmeter since there's NOTHING blocking it from the top of the roof.

Internet access and everything at their place... I could probably talk them into letting me place a windmeter at the top... easy access to it too since there's basicly a roof access.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/Optionryder420/dianas.jpg

That's the location, and there's not a single thing blocking the wind... That's the park blvd bridge in the img if it gives you a better idea of the location.

I'm going to ask them this week if it'd be okay and see what I can do...

But no gaurantees, I jumped the gun on Tony last time...

If anyone's interested in helping buying the sensor/setting up a site, PM me.

Optionryder420
07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I thought you guys would've raided this post by now...

BigR
07-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Scott is not here anymore, he was/ is the prime instigator of setting up the new sensors

Optionryder420
07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
That's true, but I'm still confused that NOBODY wants a good sensor... Is it just unnecessary?

tomstock
07-05-2006, 06:42 PM
If someone buys the sensor and sets it up, I'll write the software to talk to it and display it on the webpage.

Optionryder420
07-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Tom, just the guy I was hoping to post... I may go ahead and buy one... how much are they usually?

I was amazed at how great of a spot I had right next door... seriously, not a THING in the way could see the gulf, and the whole intercoastal... this spot could read ANY wind direction, although from the east it may be shitty but I really don't know.

Anyone have links to some places to buy windmeters?

toby wilson
07-05-2006, 11:54 PM
And who is going to pay to maintain it? I'm unemployed my friend so not me... :lol:

Optionryder420
07-06-2006, 12:21 AM
How much work does it take to maintain a windmeter?

I mean, it's right next door to my house... what would I possibly have to do to keep it in shape?

toby wilson
07-06-2006, 12:30 AM
What if a part breaks? Are you qualified to fix/replace it? Who's gonna pay for the part(s)? Do you know where to even get the parts? What tools will be needed to repair the meter? Etc, etc, etc. I am not trying to discourage the idea, it is a good idea that we have visited many times, I'm just not sure how workable it actually is on an individual basis...I mean, we see how tough of a time Ikite has, now imagine us, people with no experience using windmeters even making an attempt to maintain a wind meter??? Just food for thought, that's all...

bryanleighty
07-06-2006, 01:47 AM
might be wrong on this..

but wasnt the guy from IKitesurf.com looking for a reliable place to put a sensor... maybe he could be involved in this conversation to get this rockin and rollin...

toby wilson
07-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Agreed. He has the experience necessary and the means to do so. I also think that Ikite will pay for the sensor which probably aren't cheap!!!

Optionryder420
07-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not volunteering to ask my neighbors if we can place a windmeter on top of their house for commercial purposes.

Ikite isn't going to make any money off of this, sorry.

tomstock
07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
iKite has dropped the ball too many times.

Kev there are a bunch of sensors out there. It doesn't necessarily need to be ethernet either... serial will work too. We can always use a microcontroller with ethernet to read the sensor and send the data. There are also some Serial-Ethernet adapters out there we could use.

I'll email guru and see if he has time to look around for a sensor... I dont unfortunately.

robertovillate
07-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Instruments: Contact Mike Young at RM Young in Traverse City, MI. He's a friend and a kitesurfer too...maybe he can give you a good deal and probably offer some advice on setup.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/projects/marshall/Instruments/Young.html

http://www.nohowinc.com/Rmyoung.htm

Location: Have any of the local hotels, restaurants been contacted? Don Cesar, Undertow, many others obviously? Isn't there a guy (kitesufer/windsurfer) who runs the beach chair concessions down their that might be well-connected for getting something like this done?

A-Bomb
07-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, his name is Mark, he's at the building just North of the Undertow. I think he and his bro may even own that place and it's at least 3 or 4 stories tall. I'm not sure of his last name. I think Randy knows him pretty well. We could definitely use a sensor along the beaches, that's the only place we're really lacking one.

Optionryder420
07-06-2006, 05:50 PM
This is the perfect spot around the beaches...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/Optionryder420/beaches.jpg

Right in the middle... There's already one up in clearwater... and one down south at the skyway.

I'm not in too much a hurry now that nobody seems interested. A wind meter wouldn't be much to fix... I have some basic electronics knowledge (and by basic, I mean very basic) I'm sure Danny would know how to fix it even(not volunteering you here Danny).

Shit, the things cost about 200-500 dollars depending on what you want (from what I've seen at least) it wouldn't even be worth hiring somebody to come out and fix it for what the price is to replace.

It's a freakin weather meter though, it's been designed to be outside in all types of weather, I'm sure it'd be fine for a few years.

I've got very limited amounts of money at the moment... so if nobody else wants to jump on board for a good weather meter for all of us, then this would be a lost cause really.

I really thought this thread would get SLAMMED with posts... but I guess it all was scott lol.

tomstock
07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Serves him right for moving away! hehehe

toby wilson
07-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Good luck, I've seen this thread too many times to get excited about it until it actually happens. I don't mean to sound negative here but I'll believe it when I see it. Actions speak louder than words and we have all talked a lot about it and each time we get close to making progress, there is always some sort of occurance which negates any effort(s) set forth in getting a wind meter set up. If it does happen, count me in to chip in once I'm employed again but for now I'm just gonna shut up on this thread and see if it finally actually happens...hope it works out!!!

Eagle
07-07-2006, 09:45 AM
John's Pass bridge has a wind sensor, is there anyway to upload the info to the web?
You can call 727-368-0795 to reach the bridge tender and he will give you the current wind speed/direction. Appears to be accurate with SW-W-NW wind.

bayflite
07-09-2006, 12:34 AM
i'll put in $40
westmarine has em 4like $250
tom...you rock breh
l8r

tomstock
07-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Agreed. He has the experience necessary and the means to do so. I also think that Ikite will pay for the sensor which probably aren't cheap!!!

Will never happen. We have tried many times. If you guys want a new sensor to replace the FUBAR PAG sensor we will have to do it ourselves. This would be the best seabreeze sensor if it were in a better location.

But hey, according to ikitesurf (and I heard this face to face last year), PAG works just fine right? Can you spot PAG sensor on this map? I bet you can. :roll:

http://www.flkitesurf.com/files/pag.jpg

Optionryder420
07-10-2006, 12:58 PM
OH! I see it!!!

It's the only one that DOESN'T work. :lol:

toby wilson
07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Like I said Tom, hope it works out! It would be great, just not holding my breath after hearing about this for the umpteenth time... :roll:

tomstock
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Well, bayflite says he'll kick in $40. I'm broke, but will donate programming and a web hosting + script which can be pulled into the local websites. Hell I'll even make it draw a graph like ikite, over an underlay of the previous day and email you when it hits 10+.

But, that still leaves us $200 short.

Unimog Bob
07-10-2006, 04:55 PM
I’ve continued to try to work with ikite and have gotten them permission to install a sensor at the tampa baywatch building. It is the last building on the right before you get to the Fort Desoto toll booth. They said it was a good spot, but we’ll see if anything happens. I’m next to broke too, but I do have a new Davis weather wizard III station minus the sensor. I’m willing to donate it to the cause. List price on the sensor is $120. I think the console power supply and junction box I have will provide serial output of wind speed and direction. I’ll throw it in the car and Tom can check it out to see if it does what we need.

Bob

Skyway Scott
07-10-2006, 06:07 PM
I have always said I am good for 200 bucks and nothing has changed.

tomstock
07-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Well there we have it. Unimog has a console, and Scott and Bayflite are open to donating, and I (and Colin) can whip the hardware into working order and do the programming to set up the interface->website.

Unimog, let me know when/where I can pick up that console and what type of sensor we need for it.

-tom

Unimog Bob
07-11-2006, 05:27 AM
I PMed Tom my number. We'll get together.

Bob

Skyway Scott
07-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah Baby -- A sensor with promise. 8)
Nice job (especially your ground efforts Bob)

tomstock
07-12-2006, 10:43 AM
PAG update... iKite says this sensor is just FINE... sheesh.

http://www.flkitesurf.com/files/pag2.jpg

Unimog Bob
07-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Tom let me know how I can get the equipment to you.

Bob

bryanleighty
07-12-2006, 12:18 PM
If it's just a matter of a few bucks, I am good for some $$$...
I guess I had assumed we were talking a lot of money (thousands per sensor)...

this is dirt cheap!

Would like to see if we could get those that are not donating tech help or equipment to pitch in a few bucks if possible. 10$ per person as needed could make a big difference. no need for scott to feel like he needs to throw in 200$. All area riders should try to kick in a few dollars (skip that trip to starbucks for a day or two) .. once its in place you will feel like you contributed to something to make this area an even better kiting mecca!

If this works out it will be something that EVERYONE in the area will come to depend on.

Even if the placement of the device is not optimal, once the tech stuff is done maybe moving it to another location wont be such a big deal.

We all will owe a huge thanks (how about a Windmeter Party!) to any and all that contribute to get this going and completed.

Count on me for some $$$.

Bryan

toby wilson
07-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Looks like this is FINALLY going to actually take off...I'm good for a few of my unemployment bucks so I KNOW that everyone else can spare a few...Put me in for a contribution, $25 is all I can spare for now. Once I have a job, I'll contribute more.

mermaid
07-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I would contribute too. I troll alot here and I am planning for when the wind comes back to ride so I would be happy to contribute. Paypal or whatever... just let me know.

tomstock
07-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Bob, next time you are going to be near the skyway let me know. I do the drive every day to and from work. I head over the skyway at around 8:30 and come back at around 5:30-7:30 depending on how late I work.

I guess we'll need to see what you have and if it's capable of what we need to accomplish. I was talking to Colin and he is doing some sensor research.

I guess I need to decide whether or not to renew the flkitesurf.com domain...it expires in 90 days. Hopefully we will have a working sensor before then and I can make up my mind.

Unimog Bob
07-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Hey Tom,
I head North over the SW around 7:00 most mornings and South 5:30. Give me a call and I'll get this stuff to you.

Bob
727 638-0014

Skyway Scott
07-13-2006, 07:21 AM
I promised 200 almost 2 years ago and have been waiting for a chance to help. Money is pointless if you can't do something good with it now and then.

Man, PaG has been calm :?:
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windAndWhere.iws?regionID=149&siteID=1428&Isection=Last+7+Days

toby wilson
07-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Looks like Ikite has really lost a lot of credibility...I can't believe that they insist that there is nothing wrong with that sensor... :?

tomstock
07-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Havent forgotten this, havent had a chance to meet up with Bob yet... been too busy with work.

toby wilson
07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah, me too! Isn't it a bitch? :lol:

tomstock
07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, since I'm getting paid to work and the sensor is volunteer work, it's not so much of a bitch. 8)