PDA

View Full Version : new to the sport

winkler
07-03-2006, 10:55 AM
hey i am new to the sport and have been flying a trainer kite for about 2 months now and i was just wondering what size kite and board i should be looking for. I am 6 foot and weigh about 180, and from what i have read i guess i am looking for a wake style board. Any advice would be great. thanks

Optionryder420
07-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Lessons

bryanleighty
07-03-2006, 12:08 PM
winkler.. welcome!

you are on your way to the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

tho.. not to put you off, the question you ask is the age old tell-tell that you have not taken lessons and therefore need to direct all energy into doing so ...

take a read through this:

http://www.fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=106

there you will find info for local instructors and maybe some tips to get the most out of your first lessons.

DO NOT buy any gear until you take lessons.

Be safe!

Bryan

C. Moore
07-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I think I met you at Cypress? Do you have a dog?

you are on your way to the most fun you can have with your clothes on

I like to think of it with 90% of my clothes off. :roll:

robertovillate
07-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Take a look at my schedule.

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?p=2117#2117

feel free to contact me if you are interested and I can send you more information.

Under any circumstances...do yourself a big favor and invest in lessons...it will save you a lot of trouble, possible injury, damage to gear...and will help us maintain our beach access priveledges.

Read about all the safety issues, and learn from the experiences that people have written about on this forum.

You will thank yourself later for taking the right appoach.

cheers

Eagle
07-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Keep flying that trainer kite for a few more months and get some time behind a boat wakeboarding or visit the cable park in Orlando.
The low/no wind will continue for a few more months, when the cold fronts start returning you will have ideal wind for learning. Summer is a tough time to learn in Florida, so if you have a chance to travel to Tx or NC it might be worth while if you are looking to learn this summer.

If you are going to take lessons locally, you are in luck, we have several top notch instructors in our area that are available when the wind blows.
Taking lessons from a local instructor is a smart move, because more often than not you will have questions and need assistance AFTER the lessons are over. Many instructors "adopt" their students after the lesson is over and make themselves available to keep an eye out on you while practicing the lesson skills.

Welcome to the community and the sport of kiteboarding.

Pray for wind

Eagle

Technochick
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm a n00b too. I'm still playing with the trainer kite - I've had a whole 4 hours with one :lol:

We're going to OWC tomorrow so come out and practice your board skills! http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=2069
(this will be my first time ever on a board :shock: )