PDA

View Full Version : New to kiteboarding

cimacdonald
06-16-2006, 08:47 AM
I currently reside in Ft. Myers and come to Tampa often. I have had a couple lessons and have been flying the trainer kite for a few months. I have all my gear except my board which will be here any day now. Due to a variety of circumstances I am having a terrible time getting my final lesson. I have phoned a place in Sarasota but have not had any response yet. Can you recomend a shop in the Tampa/ St Pete area for lessons. Also where is this "EB" place that several of you ride. I am familiar with downtown Tampa and not very familiar with the coastline.

toby wilson
06-16-2006, 09:57 AM
EB is actually East Beach in Ft. DeSoto Park in St. Petersburg. There are several instructors in our local area who would be more than happy to give you your lesson. PM Bayflite, Eagle or David and one of them should be able to help you. If not, stevil kenevil is currently down in Miami getting certified and upon his return, I am sure he would be more than happy to give you your last lesson...

Hope to see you out riding sometime soon!!!

cimacdonald
06-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the info.....

toby wilson
06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
No problem! You may also want to check out Bryan Eagle's website, www.tampabaykiteboarding.com.

cimacdonald
06-16-2006, 10:52 AM
i think the site is down.....no access, permission denied?

JoshTaylor
06-16-2006, 12:33 PM
yeah his sites down

i'd highly reccomend him, he's got a boat that he uses for lessons.
Takes you out on a downwinder and stays right by you with the boat coaching you the whole way.

this time of the year is really bad for learning. i'd reccomend going to OWC for a day, that will help alot.

I will PM you Bryan Eagles number.

tomstock
06-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Randy Radcliffe will teach. Anyone have his #?

bayflite
06-17-2006, 06:49 AM
randy is @727 430 1379
hard2 find a cooler kiter than randy rad.
l8r

Eagle
06-17-2006, 11:29 AM
This time of year is really tough to learn to kite. Your best bet is to travel to a windy place like NC or Texas where you will get ideal wind for learning. If you can get several lessons over a short period of time and practice what you learn immediately after the lesson you will learn much faster than stretching the lessons and sessions out over a longer period of time.
The key to maximizing your time and value when taking a lesson is to fly a trainer kite until you can do it with your eyes closed and have reached the point of being bored with it. Then take a session or two at the cable park or book a wakeboarding lesson and get some board skills if you have none.
If you do these things prior to taking a kiteboarding lesson, you will likely learn and earn your entry level certification in 4-6 hours of instruction.
The wind will begin to return around October and a consistent wind that lasts for several days will be well worth waiting for.

The site is down right now and since I am no web wizard it will likely take a few days before it's back up.

E-Bone
06-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Yo, Eagle, good to hear from you again. I haven't seen you since you charged Texas. I look forward to running into you around town soon, particularly if you do dawn patrol in the next few days.

A-Bomb
07-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I give wakeboarding lessons, if anyone, who is new to it all, is interested.

Adam
727-418-8057
atom13@msn.com