PDA

View Full Version : OWC Friday

bryanleighty
06-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Dan and I are heading to OWC tomorrow morning (Friday)..

Leaving St. Pete around 9ish .. hopefully get there about opening time.

Anyone wanting to meet up there, let me know..

Might have room for a couple people .. not 100% on that tho..

Let me now.

Bryan

C. Moore
06-15-2006, 01:02 PM
:twisted:

I cant make it. Maybe next time.

Skyway Scott
06-15-2006, 02:12 PM
It's supposed to be epic here Friday :twisted: (My day off, too)

Technochick
06-15-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm a stupid n00b so I'm allowed to ask stupid questions (for a couple weeks at least :P )

What's OWC?

E-Bone
06-15-2006, 06:41 PM
www.orlandowatersports.com

Ultimate training ground for board skillz.

Technochick
06-15-2006, 07:02 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/surprised/1.gif That looks like FUN!!!

Way beyond my skillset ... for now http://bestsmileys.com/evil/3.gif

E-Bone
06-15-2006, 08:07 PM
OWC is not beyond your skillz. That place is great for anyone, rank beginner to pro rider. Just don't hit sliders at first. Practice riding around on the slower cable, riding left and right foot forward, transitioning the board, doing small pops, buttersliding, reverse buttersliding, turning the board 360 degrees on the surface, etc.

After struggling to learn to kiteboard in the Atlantic, I went to OWC for several days and rode until I couldn't move my arms. Next kite session at Matanzas Inlet, I got up and rode right away. Yeah, then I crashed and burned and Daryl had to come grab my board while I dragged in, but no worries.

Anyone learning to kite this summer who lives within a few hours of Orlando should seriously consider some trips to OWC. You can learn a lot about riding a board there without the hassle of trying to manage a kite at the same time, which will in turn allow you to get the most out of your kiting sessions.

bryanleighty
06-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Like Ebone says.. OWC takes the kite skills out of the equation and allows you to work on board skills. its a great learning tool that we are lucky to live so close to.

couple things. prepare to hurt. your arms will be jello by the end of the day.

JELLO.

last trip we rode so long that i couldnt hold the bar w/ my hands.. had to hold it cupped between my elbows...

beer run after riding i could barely pull the pint up drink. (i did though because nothing.. not even severe muscle pain... will keep me from my beer)

Now is the perfect time to get started! No need to wait on the kite.. OWC allows you to take your first steps..

Technochick
06-15-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm sold!

I'm not on-call next weekend, anyone interested?

JoshTaylor
06-15-2006, 09:29 PM
cable parks are also GREAT for learning new tricks, i plan on going there alot when i start driving in december.

toby wilson
06-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Karen,

These guys are definitely giving you good advice! There really isn't enough good wind around in the summer for long sessions which in turn help you to learn. Going to OWC will be your best bet right now as well as flying the trainer in the afternoons after work when you can fly it in the sea breeze. Treasure Island is the best place hands down to fly your trainer. I'll go to OWC with you when I get back if you don't get any takers b4 then but I won't be back in town until late next Sunday night. Anytime after that and I'm in!!! Can't wait to see your skills on the trainer when I get back into town!!!

-T

bryanleighty
06-16-2006, 07:48 PM
OWC was fun. i can say with 100% honesty that for learning to kite, its a great tool.. to use as a substitute to kiting, it falls far too short for my taste.

why?

it takes too much work.

seriously.

you are depending completely on arm strength, plowing through the water on a slight plane, the pull is from much too low of an angle, etc. etc.

kiting seems almost too easy when compared...the angle of pull, the nearly weightless feeling, the minimal arm tension.. ahhhhh... kiting wins hands down...

...did get 4 hours of riding in.. lots of work on board transitions... def. stuff that i can apply to kiting.