PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Tampa Soon

kiteman1978
06-13-2006, 09:57 AM
I will be moving to Tampa within the next three months. I didn't realize how big kite boarding was there, because everytime I have been to the gulf I barely have enought wind to fly.

I currently live up in Grove City PA, (1 hour n of pittsburgh). I fly an Airush 3M two line trainer. I want to start taking lessons when I get to tampa-but in the mean time is there anything I can do with my two liner to learn the change over. Contol is not an issue, and I body drag up in Erie when possible.

Any advice on schools I should try, or what to look for.

bryanleighty
06-13-2006, 10:07 AM
heya..

take a look through this thread:

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1831

some good info on who to contact once you get here..

per your trainer.. just keep doing what you are doing. learn to fly it through areas of the power window and learn to sine it properly to keep it powered. learn to simulate a waterstart by sitting on the ground and bringing the kite through the powerzone to lift you to your feet.

lots of online sites that should give you all the info you need .. this will help your first lessons if you are good with a trainer kite.

dont try to mod it or fly larger kites until you get lessons.

Tampa is a GREAT area to kite. places to kite in nearly every wind direction. many great people that will help you out along the way. just go through the proper steps to ensure your saftey, our safety, and protection of our beaches. also you will progress so much faster through lessons.

-Bryan

kiteman1978
06-13-2006, 12:13 PM
" learn to sine it properly to keep it powered"? What does this mean.

I can sort of do the sitting start with my snow board...perhaps that's why i haven't had much success with the rest of the boarding part...

bryanleighty
06-13-2006, 12:50 PM
http://kitesurfingschool.org/howto.htm

take a read through this..

dont let this be a substitute for lessons.

if you are still confused, you will need to have someone show you .. if you move to Tampa prior to getting this, i'll meet you at a beach on a low wind day and give you som pointers to help your first lessons go smoother..

piloting a trainer is no substitue for the bigger kites, but the theory is all the same.

C. Moore
06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Bryan.. I am confused to.. LOL

What is sine? Are you going to teach us angles now?

learn to fly it through areas of the power window and learn to sine it properly to keep it powered.

tomstock
06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
http://www.flkitesurf.com/files/sine.jpg

kiteman1978
06-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I followed that link about how to fly...and that's what I saw...basically, what I get out of the sine pattern (or cosine +090°-sorry that's the engineer in me coming out) is that you can basically keep the kite right in the power zone, rather than flying in and out with a figure-8. Is this correct? Assuming it is executed properly...

C. Moore
06-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow I feel like an idiot. LOL

So you were teaching us sine and cosine. I never though of applying it to kiting.

Kiteman1978; This is much easier to do as you are moving forward with the wind.

What kind of engineer are you?

kiteman1978
06-13-2006, 06:12 PM
I have my BSME -so I am a mechanical engineer-but currently I do design and automation at my company...however, in my spare time, I prefer to do out doorsy stuff. I also build my own kites...I have a 5m parafoil in the mix right now...

C. Moore
06-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Tom.. I noticed by your drawing that you havae a helmet on. Good call.

Optionryder420
06-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Engineer... I was going to take that route. Doing Cad design right now, probably going to end up with architecture.

And sining the kite, it's only really important when you're underpowered or need more power. The idea behind it, is to get more wind flowing over the kite. Once you're moving, you won't need to sine it as much, because your speed is pushing air over it.

When you're moving(and it's blowing hard enough) all the power is naturally aspirated.
When you're sining, it's a turbo... have some lag and you're pushing air over the kite.

Get it?

kiteman1978
06-14-2006, 07:55 AM
N/A-turbo lag-now you're talking my language. You don't drive a Honda do you? :-P

I am actually looking at going into biomedical-I would like to look/work on design prosthetics and orthodics. They facinate me. Consequently, I don't beleive there are any prosthetics in the field to server the kite boarding community...

BizB
06-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Sing it with me...

Sine sine sine your kite
stoke it up some more
merrily merrily merrily merrily
Catch some air and soar

Optionryder420
06-14-2006, 08:23 AM
N/A-turbo lag-now you're talking my language. You don't drive a Honda do you? :-P

I am actually looking at going into biomedical-I would like to look/work on design prosthetics and orthodics. They facinate me. Consequently, I don't beleive there are any prosthetics in the field to server the kite boarding community...

Thought that would help you out a bit more :lol:

No Honda here... Ford Ranger, I'm not much into putting 10k+ into a 2l 4cylinder engine.

My parents have been really trying to get me into the prosthetics, my neighbor does it I'm pretty sure.

tomstock
06-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Basically you dive it hard to take off, and then again but less, and then again but less until you don't need to dive it anymore and you are powered up.

kiteman1978
06-14-2006, 11:13 AM
So we are talking about a dampened sine wave then...

inferno
06-14-2006, 11:45 AM
for those engineers....

d2x(t)/dt2 = Q(dx(t)/dt)+ Nx(t) + e(t)

Q= dampening coefficient

toby wilson
06-14-2006, 11:47 AM
I just fart when I start to slow down until I'm powered up...

kiteman1978
06-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Ahhh, one of Mr. Newtons laws...for every action, there is an equal and opposite (smelly) gas expulsion.

BTW...if anyone is interested...I just finished building a Dopero Maxi kite (75 ft. sail area)-and flew itmonday. it was a single liner...in 6-8 mph winds I was hard pressed to stand still.