PDA

View Full Version : Looking good today for wind

Skyway Scott
05-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Looks like its gonna happen (in my amateur forecasting opinion)
I would hit Cypress, Picnic and "Raul's house" (that's where I am gonna go), followed by backside and then the beach (in terms of odds).
I think the more inland spots are the best bet, but the beach might happen.

We have low wator vapor levels (don't know why, but that is ALWAYS good, I have noticed), it started NNE at skyway AND tide is NUKING out later with low chances of rain (that's the low water vapor)

I don't know why these things spell wind, but I have noticed over the last 20 years, when these factors are all in place..... it's time to ride :D

Give it a couple hours (or less) :P

Skyway Scott
05-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Oh, in addition, Josh Linker is saying only 6 to 12.... so we're good to go :o

Skyway Scott
05-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Well, this is odd.

I just switched on to the PaG sensor... the beach apparently JUST switched to 13 to 20 (which means around 14 NW) The time is here (quite early) I am gonna drive to the beach, I guess, then hit Raul's later.
I might get away with parking at the Undertow, since it is early.
Someone meet me at the 'tow for goodness sake, unless you just love missing wind :shock:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=149&siteID=1428

http://www.baynews9.com/Sky9.html

BigR
05-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah good buddy 15 WNW now 12:30pm getting ready to go

813 786 2041

Skyway Scott
05-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Beach was GREAT. Solid 15+ at Blue Flag beach. Probably the nicest day of beach riding I have had in a year. I was only guy out there :?: (At least til 2pm)

Edit ant 7pm: --

Went to backside SW later and it was good too. Donna had a great time, looked like everyone was doing well. Victoria is going upwind better, Lori got her Super Phatty today and seemed to love it. I got to ride the 15m Ion again, that's a nice kite.

Great day of wind :P

Skyway Scott
05-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Did anyone ride at Cypress or Picnic today? I am curious what the wind did over there. :D

C. Moore
05-28-2006, 07:13 PM
I was at Cypress and I was lit on my 15 ION. It was blowing solid 15mph for 2 hours and then Gary showed up and the wind died.

Cypress is turning into Ghetto Beach. :shock: Watch your stuff when you go out there.

Skyway Scott
05-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Glad to hear you guys had great wind.
Yikes, is it really that bad out there?
(I guess we know it is cuz Bruce's board was stolen)
Well, backside is apparently becoming the new hangout, and in some ways that's good. Enuff eyes out there near where stuff is that I feel stealing would be hard to do.

Thanks for info Chris :)

toby wilson
05-28-2006, 07:24 PM
In what way do you mean "hangout" Scott??? :shock: :P :lol:

bryanleighty
05-28-2006, 07:41 PM
great day at backside..

can someone who saw the accident please post a full detail story on the guy that got hurt today??

From what I heard he got pulled through the boat hazzard and got cut pretty bad.

Also.. big thanks to Scott and Steve for their quick heads up and assisting to keep the beach safer by keeping the new rider's kite out of the air.

Backside is NOT a place to learn to kite.. no way.. no how.. nope .. nada.. nay.

Erick
05-28-2006, 09:32 PM
I just got at Cypress when the wind picked up like arround 1:15pm. Solid 15-16 MPH. Great day at the beach. Still working out going upwind but the technique is getting better. Gary I'll give you a call next time, I saved your phone. Toby Boy thanks for the call dude, I also had a great day yesterday hanging arround with the rest of the Wilson tribe. Chris I was getting all the attention from the ghetto babes until you showed up.

Erick

Skyway Scott
05-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Good stuff! out at Cypress!

Bryan, we actually did put his kite up (and were safe) let him fly it (out a ways and with my finger on his QR and my other hand on his harness... no jokes please.. Toby)
then convinced him he needed a lesson and to put it down. It all ended well.

Thanks to Steve for observing his "newness" and placement of red flag on newbie's forehead.

By hangout, I just meant that place is becoming popular to kiters. (perv)
Hell, even I am starting to like it out there (for kiting, Toby) Kinda scary, since part of me views that place as "the place where trees eat kites"

Big G
05-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Chris,
change of schedule for tommorrow.....tried calling a few times. Need to reschdule for this Saturday. Wife has plan for us to go up to Cypress Springs.

Saturday, my boys will be here also. Hope this gets to you in time...sorry guys for going off topic..ahhhh...Cypress was O.K. today. Not the kind of place you want to bring your family too....

B

Skyway Scott
05-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Man,

It must be bad. It sounds like the park is a curse, not a blessing.
I use to windsurf there 15 years ago occassionally, not a soul in sight. Things were different in St. Pete then ... period.. 20 and (this is scary) to 39 years ago

toby wilson
05-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Bryan, PM me. I know who it is but see posting about someone's misfortune as kind of negative toward them and just want to keep everything positive going forward. I'll give you his name in a PM so you can go directly to the source and hear the story from him as to what happened...

Hope to see you all out today "when" we get good wind!!!

C. Moore
05-29-2006, 05:19 PM
It was still a fun day yesterday at Cypress. Eric you can keep those ghetto babes. Besides they were just using me to get to you. LOL

I hope there is something to ride next week in the way of wind that is.

-Chris

Skyway Scott
05-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Did you ride out there today?

Tea Bag
05-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Don't look like nobody really did any riding today. Was at EB from 11 til 2 to watch the wind die. All the smart people stayed home. When it switched to a light NW I thought Cypress would be the spot by the time I got there. Not even enough to keep a trainer in the air there by 4:20...oops I mean 4:30! Oh well, guess it was my turn to get skunked, I'll not put my faith in forcasts again...unless it is signed by Scott. Should have just sat out by the pool with Parrrot Bay close by. Right Gary!
Saw Steve there at Cypress and heard about the accident. Sounds nasty. The boat claims another unsuspecting victim. Would be nice to mark it better or maybe figure out how to clear it. If that's gonna be the hangout spot. Again Toby, please no comments. Us newbies are attracted to crap underwater.
Hope the winds treat the rest of you guys better this week! I'm gonna' tell my Momma they was mean to me.

Tea Bag
05-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Oh Yeah, By the way I'm beginning to feel right-at-home at Cypress on the weekends lately.

Lots of music with flavor, loud conversation, looks like this :x if you glance their way, moving the barracade out of the friggin' way so you can drive up to the picnic table...well you get the picture.

A lot like living in Town-n-Country

It is a different story during the week though.

Terrible...even worse...don't even go there...

Oh crap! Now I feel guilty for lying to you guys. Especially since you Know it's still a good little spot for an after work session

Skyway Scott
05-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Ahh,

That bites. Sorry to hear that. I am wondering if the beach is the only place that it blew now. Did anyone hit the backside?

I am wondering if it was somehow storm related now, because we had some clouds out at the beach. I even gave Donna the "you are more valuable than the kite" speech and told her if it got REAL hairy, to just let the crap go!
As we were rigging, it was getting windier and windier and looked kinda strormy just inland of us. When she first hit the water, it was solid 20, and I was concerned enough to just watch her for 15 minutes (then I was like... f' this ... this is GREAT wind, I am launching ... LOL)

Randy, Colin, Thomas Crawford, Louie, and one more rider (at Blind Pass) ended up riding the beach within an hour of us launching.

Thanks for info, I just like knowing where it blew and what.
It looked like no wind by Raul's again (very strange) according to the sensor and the Cypress sensor says up and down (times ten)
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=149&siteID=2000

Sounds like Cypress is a "stay away" on weekends?

Well, it is currently blowing 25 outta the ENE at the skyway.. holy moly its windy!! Lassing night sesh?

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=149&regionProductID=1&timeoffset=0

E-Bone
05-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I rode Backside from about 4 to 5, then it died. Then I sat around for an hour, it came back up and I got another 90 minutes in. It was pretty light, so I spent most of my time screwing around with some unhooked stuff. Toby was there, Russky, Chili, and another fellow on a 20m RRD.

I could tell that you beachside bums were getting better wind by looking at the flag at Fort Desoto. Congrats and I am glad you had a good session. I think that the cloud activity that helped you may have hurt us, although it was not stormy where we were. Intermittent clouds seemed to depress the wind...

I am not complaining because I rode quite a bit, but some observations: the stench at Backside, I presume from all the rotting seawide, was heinous. Also, there were about 50 people, 20 of them screaming kids, in the water and on the sand. With all of the pristine spots in the area, it is beyond me why anyone would go to Backside for a beach trip or stay there once getting a load of the place, especially with the reek. Dumbasses!

In keeping with the usual Backside theme, there were some odd characters around. Toby said that he spotted some guy walking around wearing butt floss, and, in Toby's words, a "sock on his d*ck." Glad I didn't see him myself.

Skyway Scott
05-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Ugh,

Yeah, why would people hang out there? when the "real" beach exists as an alternative (cooking out I bet). Now you know why I was asking if it was gonna be a crowded mess out there :x

I think maybe the timing was off out there too. Did Toby say it was windier earlier? (Sorry I am so anal about wind, I just like to know 'cuz it helps me guess better in the future). It did seem to be slowing down when we left the beach at 5:30.

Well, at least you got to ride a little. Glad I missed the guy in the butt floss, the chicks at the beach are quite a bit better view, I would suspect. Of course, watching your own chick rip it up 50 yards away just can't be beat... Donna was really doing awesome out there :D
She was pretty pumped to have such a great day this time of year and practice jumps and stuff.

Eric, you think tomorrow morning is gonna blow?
Maybe the Skyway in the am?.. I will get up early to ride if it's blowing.
Oh, I landed a new trick today.. it was a $%^& to tarpon school! Yep, right on a friggin' tarpon..... (that's a first)

Optionryder420
05-29-2006, 10:25 PM
I was at IRB, about 22nd ave.

It was pretty windy... ranging from underpowered to riding nicely from 3-5pm.

I took my girlfriend with me, she just grabbed onto me and I bodydragged with her downwind.

Too many people at the beach though... but then hearing the little kids onshore saying "Whoa......" when jumping/doing tricks was funny.

Skyway Scott
05-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Yeah,

As long as Bill Parker aint around, people think you're good. I was livin' it up today. People were like "wow, you're good"
If he was there, they woulda been like "why do you suck so bad?"

Thanks for the report. :D
Sounds like the beach was it.

toby wilson
05-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah, the guy with the sock, floss & co. was absolutely BRUTAL!!! It didn't help that he looked like he was at least 90 years old!!! :shock: I yelled at him to put some clothes on and he just waved at me!!! I wanted to PUKE!!! :evil: There was a kid who couldn't have been more than 7 years old playing in the water not 20 yards away so I rode as close as I felt comfortable (a kite lenth away from the trees) and called his Father out and told him about the crusty old nudist swingin' his wrinkle worm that close to his son. He then went and called the Staties to have the guy cover up and the guy and the two people he was with (fully clothed) disappeared shortly thereafter...

Oh yeah, and don't worry teabag, I won't bust on your backside comments...yet!!! :lol:

BigR
05-30-2006, 03:29 AM
Th'was no wind here, very strange. :cry: :wink: