PDA

View Full Version : kite sizes for summer

kiwiar2000
05-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Hey,
quick question: I live here in miami, florida. The wind here gets about 5-10 mph the most. I weigh approx. 145 lbs. and I was wondering which kite I should get.(anywhere from a 16-21 meter).?
Thanks,
Danny

Skyway Scott
05-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Danny,

I weigh around 150. The board is gonna make or break whether you can ride in 10 or not. Several nice light wind boards around. I can easily ride a 17m on a nice light wind board in 10, but cant ride a sinker board with a 25m in the same wind :D

bayflite
05-28-2006, 06:25 AM
D
all kites rock.
all boards r not created equally
kronic
aggression
underground

get a real wide board 4 the summer.
but for the summer 'canes get a 7m flat kite
L8R

Skyway Scott
05-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks for "reinforcement" Bryan.

One more board which deserves mention is the Glide by Slingshot.
I happen to love my super phatty by Aggression. At our size, its insane :D

kiwiar2000
05-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Guys,
wut Im trying to know is that which size of a KITE shall I use for 5-10 mph winds with a 145 pounder guy???
Dont worry about the board...I have a Cabrinha Prodigy 158
thanks,
danny

kabo123
05-28-2006, 03:29 PM
well I haven't seen to many kites you could kite with in 5 mile an hour winds, 10 is hard unless you know what your doing.

But i would look at the new cabrina kites, I have a switchblade, 16 and 12, i was told the contra 14 would do the same as both of them.

but I'm 185lb

Everyone is right the board makes a big difference, if you can get a kite up and keep it flying a surf board we get you going, i have been looking at that glide board ( maybe a future purchase). your pridigy well work fine.

I like the switchblade kites, the new contra seem really nice (but i have not ridden them for any length of time). A 16m should pull you along quite nicely and if the wind picks up suddenly you can depower it.

kevin
________
Buy portable vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/portable-vaporizers)

kiwiar2000
05-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Kev,
True. Cabrinha's new line of kites truley does the job done. Unfortunately, its what makes a whole in your wallet. I mean, we're talkin $1200 + on these bad boys. I think they're just overrated.
U know, instead of these infamous bow kites, Ima get myself a sturdy, good condition used kite off of ebay for way less. And the "C" kites are not the best kites out there, but they are wayyyyyyy cheaper than the bow kites.
I think a 17 meter kite will at least pull a 145 pounder w/ 7-10 mph.
What is the glide board?
later,
Danny

ricki
05-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Guys,
wut Im trying to know is that which size of a KITE shall I use for 5-10 mph winds with a 145 pounder guy???
Dont worry about the board...I have a Cabrinha Prodigy 158
thanks,
danny

Hello Danny,

A good question is whether or not you will want to try to ride in 5 to 10 mph conditions. The bottom line is that riding at the ultimate low end may just not be that much fun. You will know that the wind is too light if your kite keeps stalling and falling out of the sky like a rock. By contrast, something around 10 to 12 mph would be a different story. Being at a lighter weight does help to a degree. Also, will you be in a fairly calm area or one with waves? Even 1 ft. waves boost your wind power requirements.

You want a kite that builds good apparent wind or one that flys fast. To help in this you may want to use longer lines, e.g. standard lines with 10 m line extensions.

Riding at the low end does take some special considerations however living in Florida we often need to develop the ability to ride in the light stuff.

So, in a C kite you will want something big, just not too big to where it flys slower. Something around 17 m might be the ticket. In the new flat kites, perhaps something around 16 m might do it. I understand the new Contra bow kite performs well in even smaller sizes but don't have hands on experience with it yet.

If you want to cover the low end, you will likely need to invest in another board. I sometimes take two boards to help me increase my effective wind range. I have had good luck with the Best Float and Waterboards light wind board designs at the low end.

ricki
05-30-2006, 10:03 AM
but for the summer 'canes get a 7m flat kite
L8R

For those rare squall free conditions associated with hurricanes, a 7 m or smaller might do it. The new flat kites might also provide an edge, used within their respective wind ranges.

However for the far more common squall plagued hurricane conditions you will want to have some more stuff in place. Things like major medical and disability coverage and a current will. A good life insurance policy with a hefty pay out for your dependents without an extreme sports exclusion is a plus too.

Not everyone is mangled in hurricane/tropical storm conditions of course. Only some of us will be hit by that overwhelming gust spike(s) or other misadventure. It's a numbers game, volunteers?

Skyway Scott
05-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Danny,

Okay. Altho I firmly the believe the board is next to everything at 10 and less mph and the kite is secondary (btw under 8mph.. you aren't riding anywhere, IMO) here are some of the best light wind C-kites (for our size) I have ridden, in order of best first. (Price has been factored in since that's one of your concerns)

'05 20m RRD Type Zh
'02 16m Fuel
'04 21 m Best Nemisis
'05 17m Fuel

Bottom line, you already reached the correct conclusion (that around 17m will work, tx to Rick) Ask around town there and try to demo a Glide on a light day to see how the board makes a difference :)
The best compliment a light wind board can get is "it felt like it got windier"
I hear that every time someone rides a glide or aggression after hopping off their board. They HONESTLY think it got windier when they hopped on. Its kinda funny, really, but reinforces the importance of the board in our crappy low wind conditions.

At our size, don't waste your time getting a 25m or something silly like that. You won't benefit at all in low end, and in 12+ you will be wishing you didn't put the thing up in the first place (as Rick said)

(The only reason I chimed in out of my region, is I have experience with light weights... I am light, my girl is even lighter and we have 3 guys here your size :D )

kiwiar2000
05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
A good question is whether or not you will want to try to ride in 5 to 10 mph conditions. The bottom line is that riding at the ultimate low end may just not be that much fun. You will know that the wind is too light if your kite keeps stalling and falling out of the sky like a rock. By contrast, something around 10 to 12 mph would be a different story. Being at a lighter weight does help to a degree. Also, will you be in a fairly calm area or one with waves? Even 1 ft. waves boost your wind power requirements.

Basically, I kite off of Crandon and Matheson Hammocks. Typically, the winds over there get 6-10 mph winds. It may not be the ultimate experience riding at the low end like you say compared to 15 knts + winds. So, yes, one foot waves appear on and off, but mostly @ Crandon because its more of a beach than Matheson.

So, in a C kite you will want something big, just not too big to where it flys slower. Something around 17 m might be the ticket. In the new flat kites, perhaps something around 16 m might do it. I understand the new Contra bow kite performs well in even smaller sizes but don't have hands on experience with it yet.
My instructer who taught me months ago told me that he has a 21 BFK, and said that it would work for me. Is this okay in safety for a 145 pounder guy in 5-10 mph conditions???

I hear that every time someone rides a glide or aggression after hopping off their board. They HONESTLY think it got windier when they hopped on. Its kinda funny, really, but reinforces the importance of the board in our crappy low wind conditions.
Thats hilarious...
Boards can make a difference on light winds...maaybe on the long run i can trade in my Cabrinha prodigy 158 for another one.
l8er
Danny

Skyway Scott
05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
21 BFK is big.

At our size, IMO, it's overkill. We are light enough it may not be necessary.
No exaggeration here, I can easily ride a 15m on the Glide in 9mph. In 11, at our size, I am having quite a bit of fun.

Less than 9, I don't know that a bigger kite is the answer, anyways. Wind is not linear in power, so every knot drop is a HUGE drop in power. Its pretty strange.

Sounds like you are moderately new to the sport. I would play it safer than sorry. Maybe right around 17m.

Yeah, try to test ride one (Glide) , you'll see first hand what I am saying. It's really quite amazing. 8)
I have seen first hand maybe 20 people all claim the wind picked up.. good stuff.

toby wilson
05-30-2006, 11:36 AM
I agree with Scott. I am 250 lbs and when I ride my 158 Underground Magic Carpet combined with my 20.5 SS Machine, I am usually nicely powered in light wind. I also have a 25.5 Machine but use it only in extreme light wind or I am WAY overpowered. Almost had a situation the other day with having too big a kite up for my own good. Do yourself a favor and stick to the 17M Fuel and a good quality large board like Scott advised above...board is 99% of riding in light wind in my opinion...

Skyway Scott
05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
:D :P (Phewww... I hate arguments)\
Toby, since your phone is busted, its about to go off out at the beach.. AGAIN.....

kabo123
05-31-2006, 05:48 AM
well, if you want to stick with c kites, I would say a 12 or 16. A 16 is probly allitle big but if your really into going out in 5-10 you'll need a big kite.

I have an Air Rush pilot 16 i well sell, its touched the water twice, just sitting in my garage.

kevin
________
GoldenBlond (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/GoldenBlond/)

kiwiar2000
05-31-2006, 11:56 AM
so ur sayin a 16 will do for a 145 pounder in very light winds?
hmmmmmmmmmm
-Danny

Skyway Scott
05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Yes,

I think that is right as well.

kiwiar2000
05-31-2006, 12:21 PM
i'll give it a try...
Im just wondering y my coach offered a 21 BFK to me... hmmmmmmmm
Off to EBAY!!!

JoshTaylor
05-31-2006, 12:21 PM
i'd go with the 14 contra

I got a chance to check it out when i was in texas, yet wind wasn't blowing AT ALL, so i didn't get a chance to ride it.

I did see it perform in person though, i saw shawn and jesse richman ride it in about 12 knots, they had enough power to throw handle passes. and from what they told me it's got ALOT of pull for such a small kite.

kiwiar2000
06-01-2006, 08:57 PM
thanx all