PDA

View Full Version : Hatteras, NC

bryanleighty
05-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Ok.. so my Oregon trip is postponed due to some scheduling problems. My friend and I still want to get away soon for a long weekend of kiting.. thinking Hatteras is a good destination location.. not sure though of the best travel route. Would like to pick a location where we can fly to a nearby major airport and rent a car for a few days. Hoping to find the best place with the nearest riding spot from the airport so as to get as much on-the-water time as possible. Ive never been to Hatteras, but it does look like its WAY outta the way from any major cities.

Any suggestions?

Texas maybe?? Thanks!
Anyone want to join in the trip?

-Bryan

toby wilson
05-14-2006, 11:53 AM
You would have to fly into Norfolk, VA and drive from there. It is a good ride from Norfolk but worth it. You will also have a hard time finding reasonably priced accomodations at this late point but maybe Alex Fox or Shawn Warmouth could help...

sgrundy
05-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey Guys:

I planned a last minute trip with the family to Duck, NC (north of Nag's Head)

I am going out three days early to just Kite. I fly out June 1st to Norfolk and plan on kiting June 2-4th. Kids and wife come in Sunday the 4th.

Tried to get into a Real Camp, but they filled out. Have private lesosn Friday and on my own Sat/Sun.

Love to have someone I know to kite with up there.

When are you guys going?

Shane
sgrundy@tampabay.rr.com
(813) 927-6652

toby wilson
05-14-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm gonna be there between June 17th and June 25th. Sorry we couldn't be up there at the same time and get some riding in, but call Shawn Warmouth, he is working for Real this summer and will be up in Hatteras when you are in Duck. Duck is nice, my family used to stay there during our annual family reunion but our family outgrew the cottage there...

Allan
05-15-2006, 01:11 PM
I am going to be making 4-5 trips to Wilmington, NC over the next 7 months and hope to extend a few of the stays over the weekend or longer. I have never been to Hateras even though I lived near Chapel Hill for a few years. I have talked to a few people who have gone there, but would like to hear about where to kite. Is anywhere along the island good? Where do most go? I may camp if I cant find inexpensive room. Anyone camped there?
Thanks
Allan

BigR
05-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Cape fear / wilmington is awesome kiting!

Hunter @ blowing in the wind will give you all the details you need

E-Bone
05-15-2006, 02:37 PM
There is a KOA in Waves or Rodanthe (right across Highway 12 from Hatteras Island Surf and Sail and just north of the Real slider park). You can launch there and the SW wind is cleaner up that way. If you get all the way down to Buxton, where the original Real shop is, the SW is much gustier and you'll probably end up driving north to Avon anyhow. I'd angle for the KOA by Hatteras Island Surf and Sail.

sgrundy
05-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Here is a list of basic launches

There are likely many more.

You can cross reference with Google Earth and check out the riding area and beach launch.

Shane

http://www.windvisions.com/Hatteras/hatteras_kite_launches.html

Eagle
05-15-2006, 09:48 PM
A great spot in OBX that is a little closer to what little civilization exists there is Nags Head.
Camping in Manteo is really cheap, $18/day, hot showers, RV hookups, etc, and there is a really nice marina nearby, Pirates Cove where you can charter a boat/capt, eat and drink.

Many options for riding around this area, Windmill Point, Rodanthe, Kitty Hawk, Jockeys Ridge.
Kitty Hawk Kites has a shop on the water soundside on the northside of Windmill Point, nice place to launch and ride. Chris Moore runs the shop, super cool and will be more than happy to give you the 411 regarding kiting in the area.

E

bryanleighty
05-24-2006, 09:56 AM
how long is the drive to get up there?

Google says 19 hours..

I suspect 12 to 14..

Toby.. we might be up there same time as you..

thinking leaving on a Wednesday night ..either June 14th or the following week and staying until Sunday night...getting back in town Monday AM then right to work.. UGH...

Skyway Scott
05-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Bryan,

I would be game for Texas or NC. I could be wrong, but, I think South Padre might be more dependable for wind. NC got skunked last summer for awhile, whereas SP is more seabreeze effect and more reliable (I think.. any inputs greatly appreciated).

Anyway, the drive to SP is about 20 hours I believe. If you fly, its not far from airport by car. I currently have NO job, so up for some trips

(Bryan.. last night was SICK on 3 simultaneous $200 tables)

toby wilson
05-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Last year in NC we had great wind!!! I wasn't kiting at the time but do remember a day when the wind was blowing so hard that the sand from the beach was picking up and being blown into us stinging our skin from the whipping of the sand. That estimation is about right on the drive time Bryan. It would be great to be up there at the same time, give me a call and maybe we can meet up somewhere. We actually stay in Rodanthe...

Skyway Scott
05-24-2006, 11:54 AM
That's good. Hopefully it is windy there this summer AND windy in Texas :D

BigR
05-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Well , its certainly been windy there

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=110&siteID=144&Isection=Last+7+Days

In my experience it takes 18-20hr nonstop for drive to OBX
reliable wind ends around Juneish and switchs to afternoon thermals maybe

Corpus is 20hr nonstop fast driving
wind ends in late june

SPI at least 24 hr fast driving
wind ends same as Corpus

And just for comparisons sake :oops:

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=149&siteID=812&Isection=Last+7+Days

:roll: :x :cry:

bryanleighty
05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
My friend and her father just drove to St. Pete from Boston in 22 hours and they slept for about 3 or 4 at a rest area... i just called her again to confirm and she said they were not speeding but 5 to 15 mph over the limits...

18+ hours??

i know that once you get off the freeway and onto back roads, things get quite different.

I've drove to Key West enough to know that it looks like its so damn close on the map once you get outside of Miami.....but why is it taking sooooo long!!!?????

We will hopefully know in a week or so when the trip is going to happen.. need to organize it around some work schedules...

If anyone wants to see about joining/meeting us there.. that would be ulta groovy.

toby wilson
05-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Bryan, he may be right, I think I remember the drive from Boston for me taking at least 24 hours (not counting time sleeping, resting or eating). Are you sure your friend was not exaggerating a bit? From Boston it took 12 hours to Norfolk, VA and another 12 to get here from Norfolk. So I would bet on 14 to 16 hours to Hatteras...

BigR
05-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I'll tell ya' why,

It's fast going up until you get to the NC / SC border bout 7-8 hrs

But then it's all back country roads till you get to Norfolk ( easy to get a ticket with local bumpkin sheriffs ) 5-6 hrs

then another 3-4 hrs to turn back south along OBX till nags head

So it can be 15-18 hrs if traffic good or bad

Prolly cut out 5-6 hrs driving if you catch the ferry ( gotta time it right )

E-Bone
05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Driving to OBX is brutal and I don't think I will do it again. I'd rather fly to Norfolk, get a rental car, then drive down. Driving from Florida involves a full-on day of misery, especially when you get to the Carolinas and you start to wonder WTF they do with the federal money that is supposed to go toward maintaining the interstate highways.

Driving back is even worse if you get a significant foot laceration while you are there, which I managed to do a few years ago.

BigR
05-24-2006, 02:17 PM
You can't really do much more than 45-50mph in NC, speedtraps everywhere on SH$TTY roads, oh yeah , cops there talk jus' lik Buford Buearegard

Drivin' thru is misery/ insanity

Optionryder420
05-24-2006, 02:55 PM
... 45-50?

How about just getting a really fast car and going 160-200. Crown vics, impalas, and intrepids can't keep up with that :D

BigR
05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
"cause they're one lane each way roads with lotsa twists and turns and the tabbacky chawin' guy wit da badge knows dem thar roads way better than U! :lol:

shawnwar4586
05-24-2006, 03:26 PM
I will be able to tell you guys in a week or so how long it takes to drive. Thats when I am moving to hatteras for 6 months. So I will time it boys.

bryanleighty
05-24-2006, 03:30 PM
BigR...

Catch the Ferry on the south side end?

that could be a possibility..

BigR
05-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Shawn thats how long it takes, i've driven, and I'm a leadfoot :shock:

Bryan the ferry leaves and comes twice a day and goes to okracoake and avon I believe

Swan Quarter – Ocracoke

The Swan Quarter to Ocracoke ferry will continue to run its winter schedule until further notice. Departures from Swan Quarter will be at 9:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Departures from Ocracoke will be at 6:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. The M/V Pamlico, which has been used to make the additional runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day, is being repaired.

http://www.ncdot.org/transit/ferry/traveler_alerts/#

:lol: :o :D

itz
05-25-2006, 08:39 AM
The drive to hatteras is getting better once you get to NC
From I-95 take US 64 east, four lane 70 mph for a while, short chunk of four lane divided, 55mph, then 4 lane 70 mph until Columbia then the dreaded 70 or so miles to Nags Head.

Used to take me 4 hours, now takes 2.5

still, 'em out-ah-staht plates look attractive to the local constabulary

the ferry system is great if you've got a lot of time to kill.
hatteras for me, via ferry is about a 7 hour ordeal

driving to Swanquarter to catch that ferry, unless you're going to Ocracoke, is madness, you're only an hour and a half from Nags Head in Swanquarter, but the ferry to Ocracoke is two and a half hours on the boat, plus the ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras Island. You could be set up and riding by the time you land in Hatteras Village from the Swanquarter Ferry.

Let me know if you need any NC local knowledge away from Hatteras.

Pete

bryanleighty
05-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Ok.. days set..

we are driving...

leaving late afternoon June 14th (Wednesday) ...coming home late afternoon June 18th (Sunday).. short trip.. hopefully catch 3+ days...
All wind-dependant of course.

Called REAL and got the skinny on the accuracy of the ikite wind meters there.. They told me they are shiznit and can be trusted 100%. I'm down w/ that.

I guess if the wind looks like shit, maybe we will drive West to somewhere in Texas..

Anywhere closer than Corpus w/ good kiting?

Fun fun fun..

BigR
05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Wilmington NC

Charleston SC

Galveston TX

Unimog Bob
05-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Hey Raul,
Where do you kite in Wilmington, on the river? Last time I was in Writesville beach The guys at the local surf shop said there was a decent kite shop in Wilmington.

Bob

BigR
05-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Bob,

The kite shop there is great, owner name is Hunter Brown
called "Blowing in the Wind" in downtown wilmington

definitely not the river! LOL! :lol:

The actual kitebeach is 5 miles away in Wrightsville Beach.
Either the extreme south end or else the North end is a huge sand beach.
Lotsa kiters there, north bch may need 4 wheel drive to go far since the road ends into just sand

Also kiteable are Carolina bch and Kure bch next island/ key to the south.

C. Moore
05-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Kure beach was one of my favorite surfing beaches. Never crowded and it had a great sand bar.

Skyway Scott
05-25-2006, 02:34 PM
I am hoping to go with Bryan.
Should be a blast :P