PDA

View Full Version : E Bone's 15m Ion Review

E-Bone
05-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Yo, fellaz, here is the long-awaited Ion review that I posted over at the Extreme Kites forum:

I am glad to report that the 15m Ion I purchased from Daryl at Extreme Kites in St. Augustine, FL is a sick kite. I always have some angst after plunking down coin for a new kite. After 5 hours on the 15m Ion Thursday and 2.5 hours yesterday, however, I have no more doubts.

The 15m Ion is built like a truck in true Flexifoil style--the quality in construction is obvious. The single point inflation makes packing and unpacking a breeze. The stock bar and line set is sweet--the bar is perfect for this kite, is comfortable, just the right size, and clean. There is a new type of swivel on the center lines that keeps things from getting wrapped up with rolls and loops, etc. A real nice touch was a velcro tab on each of the two small struts closest to the wing tips, which allow you to secure the bridle before packing the kite so the bridle has less opportunity to tangle.

Also, the 15m Ion's safety system is versatile and can be changed on the fly with a bungee leash. There are three leash attachments, one on the left back line, one on the chicken loop, and then a green line that runs through the chicken loop hole in the bar up to a point just below the swivel. The green line is the most sensible place to hook after launching hooked to the back line and is what I will be using.

If you buy this kite, do yourself a favor and buy the stock bar and lines. They are worth the money. I am really digging the bar. For a kite of it's size, there is not a lot of bar pressure. 7.5 hours in the last two days and my forearms are not hurting at all. Also, the green line running through the chicken loop provides a little resistance to sheeting out and helps me to keep the bar pulled in when I want to, without defeating the safety with a stopper ball.

In terms of range and performance, the 15m Ion is unreal. I've had a lot of high wind this year, so I've gotten used to the idea that when I ride, I am entitled to be riding in 20+ mph and tearing upwind at will on a small board and a 9m kite. Summer in Florida doesn't provide such wind often, however, so I was busting out my 16m North Rhino lately. Flying it after great winter and spring seasons, I was stunned to remember how fat a big kite feels in the air, especially in gusts. Even the better big kites tend to handle like a blimp in a windstorm.

The 15m Ion is a big kite, so if you expect it to fly like your 2006 flat 9m, you are deluding yourself. Compared to a 2005 C kite, however, you are going to be blown away.

The 15m Ion turns well for a kite of its size but is not twitchy. It is extremely reliable and stays where it is told to stay until you tell it to do something else. This is particularly noticed and appreciated when unhooking. The kite stays where it us, for example, as you throw a chill surface handle pass. After coming around and grabbing the bar with your leading hand, however, it is child's play to downloop the kite through the power and transition to the other direction. I am not sure how Flexi did it but the steering on this kite is high performance without the high anxiety. I've put the Ion in the water several times already, but it was a result of eating crap when I was trying to go big, not because the kite got weird on me.

When the wind gusts, the 15m Ion just handles it without a lot of drama. You feel the gust loading the kite and just sheet out a bit and it is all good. The kite has a ton of depower and I have been able to hold it down, at 180 pounds, in 15+ gusting to 20 with no worries. I think the kite will max out for me in the 20mph baseline wind range (in terms of being manageable and enjoyable), but if it is blowing solid 20, I am getting my 9m out and doing some kiteloops anyhow.

After two days, I am starting to figure out how to jump the 15m Ion. It is similar to my 9m Waroo in jumping technique, namely, get some speed, sheet out, send the kite, and then slam the bar down just before you leave the water. Be careful at first about going out and sending the Ion in anger to impress everyone on the beach. I did that on Thursday and went much higher and further that I expected and ended up pounding the water hard after I landed hot on my back. This kite has some power! The jumps on the 15m Ion involve some serious hang time, as well, so you might want to bring a magazine to read while in the air so you have something to do.

Relaunching is easy once you get the hang of it. Again, it's not like relaunching a 9m but the 15m Ion flips over easy once you get the hang of it. I've had to relaunch in windy conditions in deep water and managed to do it after getting used to the bar set-up.

The only criticisms I have for the 15m Ion are: the bungee included with the stock bar feels a bit short (although I have not measured it against a Slingshot bungee) and, while perfect for regular riding, is a bit tight during handle passes, so I am using a Slingshot bungee for a leash; also, the stock chicken loop is a bit cluttered with a donkey dick and a removable leash attachment point (which I removed after my first session), which makes unhooked riding more difficult, but I have already learned that Flexi offers a larger loop without the mess for unhooked riding , so I have one of those on the way. So the only downsides I could identify are not a big deal, easily remedied, and won't matter if you are not unhooking.

I handed the 15m Ion off on Thursday to a much better rider here who flys foils so I could take a break. He was ripping it up and didn't seem to be in a hurry to give the kite back to me. After running through a series of technical moves, he noted that the kite was awesome, particularly its reliability in the air, which will make this kite a big fan of those into freestyle riding.

If you are a fashionista, know that the colors on this kite are sick. I got the Rasta, which means I need to grow some dreads instead of shaving my head bald. That should only take 5 years or so.

Before you buy your big flat kite for this summer, consider seriously the 15m Ion. You are going to have to spend some money to get a flat kite in this size, so you might as well spend your dough on a kite that will take abuse and perform. For me, the proof is in the session. I had more fun over the past two days in relatively light wind than I ever had on a big kite before and I am stoked!

Skyway Scott
05-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks Eric.

Good review.

C. Moore
05-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks Eric. My ION should be in by the 16th. I am so jonesing to ride right now its not even funny. Its been almost three weeks since I have been on the water. Uhg.

E-Bone
05-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Do you have a 15m on the way?

C. Moore
05-14-2006, 02:13 PM
15 is in on the ay with stock bar. :)