PDA

View Full Version : 5.12.06--it's still blowing...who's going?

E-Bone
05-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Lookz like it is still blowing just when I need a rest. Damn!

Oh, well, if I am going to suffer today and have to slog through another session, I might as well find out where my bros and sistahs are riding. What'z the deal?

toby wilson
05-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Backside skyway rocked yesterday, I'll probably be back there around 4:30 - 5:00 PM homeslice!!!

E-Bone
05-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Cool. What'z the rest of the crew doing? I want the 411! Skyway Scott, WTF?

inferno
05-12-2006, 08:34 AM
i might hit up cypress at lunch if its still blowing

skempthepimp
05-12-2006, 10:59 AM
What about the beaches this afternoon?

Skyway Scott
05-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I just got back from the Skyway. It was adequate. The Donster had a great time on her 14m TD and the Super Phatty. It was 11 to 15, then took the infamous DUMP....

She loved the Super Phatty. I know I am talking this board up... but that's cuz it is unreal. Donna now wants one. The kicker for me was when it puffed to 15 and she had NO problem holding down the super phatty.
So, in a nutshell, the board has better low end AND high end than most boards of its size, even for a fly weight (Donna)
When I saw her hold down the board litt (comfortably), I knew it was my all in one'der board :P

Anyone want 1 (maybe two) Underground 157 wavetrays?
I will sell mine for 300. Donna's is a custom and in great shape, much higher price (500). Custom width of 41cm

Hoping and BANKING on afternoon seabreeze.
I will go to Blue flag around 3pm :D

E-Bone
05-12-2006, 11:28 AM
I want to try that Super Phatty next time I see you. I got to get in on this excitement.

Skyway Scott
05-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Sure. This is the most excited I have ever been about gear.

If anyone is "suspicious", I am not sponsored and do not receive price breaks or commissions from Aggression. I just love the boards. If you hate them or think they suck...that's cool. I just love mine and tend to talk/write about things that make my day :wink:

E-Bone
05-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey, no worries, I am the same way. I have a new piece of gear to add to my list--the 15m Ion. Scott, do not buy a new kite until you try this thing out. I got 5 hours on it yesterday, 2.5 today, and I am starting to get the hang of this thing. On jumps, if you send it right, you just hang in the air. I am sure better riders such as yourself can get even more out of it than me.

I was on the Glide in waves for most of today's session and had a great time but also had a few cubic tons of seawater spraying in my face from the board, so here's the deal: next time I see you, take this kite and ride it, then hand the kite back off and let me try your new Aggression.

Skyway Scott
05-12-2006, 08:22 PM
DEAL :D

Hey, serious about the board bag. I will pay for it, too.
(Don't worry, these fools I am playing are actually paying, this one fool just paid alot to see the nuts... that's means best hand)

E-Bone
05-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Ok, if it there is no wind tomorrow, I will probably work on some bags.

Daryl and Pat at Extreme are demanding Hello Kitty bags, but I don't know if they are serious. They are rednecks up in NE Florida, so I'll make them bags with a beer can print or an emo-looking deer or something.

Skyway Scott
05-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I think they are more "beach bummy" up in Auggie, aren't they?
If anything St.Pete has more rednecks, Mr. E.

Either way, I think the bags are cool. Anything that's one of a kind is better than the silver DaKine bags. In addition, with all these super wide boards out, has DaKine even come out with one that wide? I think you might have a jump start on the super wide board bag (w/ or w/o hello kitties on it). :wink:

Optionryder420
05-12-2006, 10:43 PM
E, what would the range on that 15m ion be for a 150-160lb rider be? And what would it be for a 190lb rider?

Also, Scott... you think I could give that board a shot?

Looking for equipment for my dad... still gotta get his old ass out there...

The parents have $ so they can afford all the cool new stuff.

And scott, what would those TD's have in range as far as a 150lb and a 190lb rider?

E-Bone
05-13-2006, 12:33 AM
I weigh 180 and I think I would be lit but still comfortable around 20mph, but if it stays there, I'm rigging the 9m.

150-160 pounds, it's hard for me to say. I haven't seen that weight in a while. Maybe cap in terms of being comfortable at 17-18 mph, but by then you are probably going to rig the small kite if it stays up. Again, I can't comment on what that weight feels like. I haven't been that weight since before kiteboarding started. Maybe for a smaller rider, a 12m and 7m are the two kite quiver.

The flat kites have much greater range but I don't see any reason to keep one in the air when you could also be powered on a much smaller flat kite that is much faster. If it is really gusty, that is one thing, but if you simply chose the wrong kite and the wind fills in like EB on a south wind, take 10 minutes to rig the smaller kite.

Skyway Scott
05-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Kevin, of course you can try it out.

I have been up to 165 and down to 140 in kiting.

My experience is that in the lighter winds their is an advantage to weighing less. In the heavier winds, its not how much you weigh, its how strong your legs are, technnique, etc. All you gotta do is watch Billy ride an 18.5m in 20+ to see that is true. In lighter winds tho, if you use a bigger board, BAM.. you now weigh less (in a way)

So for the TDs, if you were on a smaller board and your dad on a Super Phatty I think the ranges would be about the same. Here is my educated guesses (only have 3 full days on each kite)

14m TD...low end SOLID 10 knots Upper end pushing 16 for average rider

10m TD... for you Kevin on a SP.. no lie 11 knots (Donna rode it barely upwind at the EB BX in 8.4 when no one else was riding on a 157 Wavetray)
Upper end on smaller board ----- pushing 25 knots for average rider.

Kevin. The TDs.... hmmmmm..... you asked. I advise trying all the brands of bow. Try the Caution Answer, the Flexi Ion, or yes... the Best Waroo. Try them all, don't just buy one without riding others. I bought my TDs based somewhat on brand loyalty, but, I am an not a blind worshipper of brands. I would try other brands.

Please try several bows before just getting one. I can't recommend the TDs myself (as being obviously the best) because I think the other kites may be just as good for the cash (Best) or maybe better for equal cash. Also, everyone wants something different from a kite.
My main complaint about the TDs- they feel grunty and don't turn all that fast.

I wish we had more stuff to demo (as in every single board and kite made.. that'd be SWEET!)
Luckily, we got guys like E-bone and others that let us demo THEIR gear. :D

E-Bone
05-13-2006, 07:57 AM
That's right--and I'll keep handing my gear off to others as long as no one goes out and pounds my shit into the water or into the mangroves!

I think kites are like airplanes--it's better, in terms of durability, for them to be in the air than on the ground, and saves me the trouble of landing and relaunching every time I want to take a break.

Optionryder420
05-13-2006, 08:37 AM
I don't plan on switching to flat kites except for my low-wind machine...

I think my dad would be fine with a 14m bow style kite, I've gotta find a board though... super-fatty/phatty sounds nice though...

I'm sticking with my fuels... I love em' too much :D

Skyway Scott
05-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Kev,

If going TD, the 14 is big enough, IMO.
Jayson told me he reached the same conclusion, if that helps.

The super phatty is sweet. Call or PM Big Air Al.. I don't think he likes posting.

http://www.aggressionkiteboarding.com/

Optionryder420
05-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Yeah, 14 is the largest I'd want to go... it'd give my dad plenty of range, hopefully from like 14-15knots-20odd knots, and it'd give me a really good low-end.

I like my Caution redline, I'll ride that thing until it breaks and only that board :D

It's got sentimental value now too.