PDA

View Full Version : It's blowing 31S at the Skyway right now...

E-Bone
05-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Who is man enough to charge?

bryanleighty
05-09-2006, 09:03 AM
http://static.flickr.com/46/143421324_dba8026edc_o.gif

fun times.

anyone have a kite w/ a +/- 25knt range?

Skyway Scott
05-09-2006, 09:07 AM
The 9m Waroo can ride in negative 12 knots to positive 52 knots, right Eric?

inferno
05-09-2006, 09:08 AM
i could hold my 14m in that, tons of fun
maybe on my lunch break, whos in

Skyway Scott
05-09-2006, 09:14 AM
If it stablizes out, I can go around 2:30 :D

E-Bone
05-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah, Waroo has mad range. Problem is, I was doing a slow, tweaked out handle pass at the Skyway just at 9:00 am. As evidenced by the graph, I finished the move in St. Pete.

Stevil Kenevil
05-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah E-Bone, but you didn't have 14 flaming school buses full of snakes parked on the bridge, so your handlepass is crap!!!(Less entertaining than watching David Blaine sit in a fish tank and piss in a plastic bag for a week!)

Maybe I should use Elements instead of school buses, whatcha think?
Hope to see you guys out there!!!

ricki
05-09-2006, 10:23 AM
http://www.fksa.org/albums/album177/2xradard5_anim_tribune_1.gif

It looks like the cold front squall line is well to the south of you and heading for us come to think of it. Hope some steady wind fills in behind it. Those 30 to 65 mph+ gust spikes from the squalls can really trash your week if you let them.

Look what just hit Sanibel:

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album177/newgraph_22.gif

BigR
05-09-2006, 11:56 AM
17 gusting 21 SW right now, anybody gonna Hit That?

I'm stuck work :oops: :oops: :roll:

bryanleighty
05-09-2006, 12:01 PM
im off work in about 30 min.. should be able to get me some in about an hour if it holds.

Optionryder420
05-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm at work... this sucks.

inferno
05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
i can go at 4

toby wilson
05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I can go at... :(

Skyway Scott
05-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I JUST got out of work. I am OUTTA here :D

E-Bone
05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Scott, were you skunked, just like me?

Skyway Scott
05-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Nope :D

E-Bone
05-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Scumbag. I should have kept heading your way. Stopped at Backside, it was dumb, thought about continuing north, but then turned around. Mistake. No worries, looks like some more is on the way.

Skyway Scott
05-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Yep 8)

bryanleighty
05-10-2006, 07:56 AM
i was able to (with a loaned anomoly) go upwind pretty well for about an hour on the 12 waroo at PAG. wind was trickling down down down.. so i called it a day. i had the 20m on the beach and would have given that the go cept I had a bunch of stuff to do at home. Think i could have milked another hour out of it at least.

cool trick of the day. lost my hat about 100 yards off shore. found it about 10 minutes later floating in the h20. was very happy.

Stevil Kenevil
05-10-2006, 08:40 AM
E-Bone- What time were you there? J-dog and myself rode for a while there, from 5:00-6:30 I think....
Bob had a reading of 10.5 MPH on the wind meter....Thank you Slingshot, for gettting me on the water yesterday! :lol:
Maybe you could trade all those Wahoos for a Machine and get some more water time! :lol:
Just kiddin' fellas, I know you love your kites....I just love mine more....

Skyway Scott
05-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Wish I coulda got there around 12:30 or 1pm.

When I first pulled up it was solid 17+ and capping like mad.
I rigged my 16m and rode for about 45 minutes perfectly powered and jumping and all that stuff.

Then it started to slow to around 13 for an hour.. so I just did a huge upwinder/sightseeing tour and looked for tarpon (they are commonly near the pass, but I didn't see any).

Then, it hit the shitter around 4:30 and never returned.

During that time I got to fly a 12m Caution Answer kite on the beach.
Although I didn't ride it, that kite impressed the hell out out of me.
It flew just like a stunt kite. It was amazing how fast and responsive it was, especially in totally garbage wind (9 or so with lulls)

Oh yeah, also during that time I lost a 20 dollar bet to Jordan.
He rode an Aggression Super Phatty upwind on a 16m Xbow in 9max....(I didn't think he could)
Hate to lose a bet, but.. glad I got that board coming in the mail! :D

E-Bone
05-10-2006, 09:11 AM
I was at backside at 3:30 or so. If nothing else, I should have stayed, but there was no one else around except for some FREAKS, and all of them were staring at Da' Bone. So I went down south instead and got to the beach just after it fell off.

I did ride in unridable wind on the 15m Ion for a few tacks and I am going to keep it. I was impressed by how it turned and flew, particularly unhooked. Also, I like the bar. The kite appears bombproof also. The Rasta colors are sick, too, although now I have to grow some dreads.

I am sure a Machine yesterday evening was not a bad call either. Hope you had more fun with the freaks at than I did.

Skyway Scott
05-10-2006, 09:26 AM
OHHHH BABY!!

The board just came in (So did Bruce's) :P :D

Skyway Scott
05-10-2006, 10:05 AM
This board is insane. It weighs about 4 pounds (max) Unreal light.
It's gorgeous too. :P I just put it all together.

Man, I have never been SO pumped about the prospects of 9 knots.
I really wanna push this thing's low end today.
E-bone... expect some low wind challenges in the summer 8)

E-Bone
05-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Bring it on! If I lose, I'll think about getting an Aggression.

BigR
05-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Yeah BBAAAABBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! :D :o :)

Skyway Scott
05-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Eric,

Think about it? Okay.. now you really got me worked up......!!!!!
Those are pretty strong words -- "think about it"
Can we make a slightly more exciting challenge?

Here's an example, first one to an upwind point buys the other guy a Wendy's combo. Now THAT is exciting.

bryanleighty
05-10-2006, 10:54 AM
ahah!

my new ply boards will destroy your store bought, wallet thinning, light as a feather devices.

if not in performance, at least in groovy graphics.

pics to follow soon.

Skyway Scott
05-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Bryan... fun/opinionated exchange to follow- (I know you are kidding)

But seriously, a great lightwind/all around board actually saves you money.How?

You ultimately need less boards and kites. I honestly plan on riding this board almost every time I ride (unless stable nuking winds).
I expect to hear people say "g'damn that's a big board" alot, but I won't hear them after about 2 minutes... cuz they'll be way downwind of me :shock: :D

It feels like a small board (unlike some other boats I have tried).. so I can ride it in alot of conditions and feel comfy on it. Therefore less boards in quiver (how does one sound?)
Slight exaggeration, but not really. How many guys have several boards?

In addition, if you only take one board out.. no one can steal the other one you have waiting on the beach for when the wind picks up/slows down. :D ahh... just saved again.

QQQ VS. JJJ last night (wallet thickening)

inferno
05-10-2006, 11:47 AM
not that it has as good of performance as your aggression, but i just ordered my custom JAW board (150x46) for 220 (complete) brand new, so ha......

and i bet it will go upwind almost as well as you board that cost three times as much :lol:

i might just join in this bet, as long as its atleast blowing 14-15, cause in 10-11 little 160lb scott is going to beat me every time even if he rode a single water ski :shock:

bryanleighty
05-10-2006, 12:01 PM
danny can you post link to the JAW site or more info on their boards?

thanks!

E-Bone
05-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah, whatever the cost, a lightwind board that actually works is worth every penny when you get to yell to your buddies, "hey, it's awesome, come on out" when you are the only one at the session who can go upwind. I've had that moment on the skimboard, then on the Glide, and I love it.

For summertime, is it really worth trying to ride on a small board? In my view, not unless there is a wind event. Otherwise, you are just dragging ass anyhow.

Scott, fine, we'll throw down for a Wendy's combo. I can afford that, even if you go for the triple.

BigR
05-10-2006, 12:14 PM
wrote:
when you are the only one at the session who can go upwind

Thats only cause I'm not always in the mood to rig the 23.5M with the directional board

Yeah, I'll make that a triple please! :lol: :D

E-Bone
05-10-2006, 12:23 PM
F*** that 23.5! I am still sore about you killing my electric pump with that thing at the Skyway last year. I had to pump up my 20m by hand as a result and my shoulders still feel it.

Monster kite. You can never get lost while kiting in Tampa Bay with that thing because one of the wingtips is always over land.

toby wilson
05-10-2006, 12:49 PM
I can't wait to pump up the 25.5 Machine!!! :shock: :twisted:

Skyway Scott
05-10-2006, 01:26 PM
I know everyone has a different approach to all things and that is cool.

For me, I would rather pay 3 times an amount, but do it only once and be completely satisfied for a long time frame. In kiting, IMO, the place to sink your cash (if anywhere) is the board. In our light winds here, the board is much more important than the kite, IMO.
I hope this board lasts 3 seasons (longer than a kite) too, so, that's how I rationalize it.
My 157 UG is going on its third year. I rode it almost every time I rode for three years :) That comes down to about 30 cents an hour... I think.
I am thinking this Aggression is its replacement (or at least my 14 knot less "go to board")

With the cost of gas these days, I BETTER be riding and having fun if I drive out and its only blowing 11 or so. And, I'd like to be doing my THREE tricks and attempting one more with a board that doesn't feel like a plank in the air (no offense to some other light wind boards)

To each his own. :)

toby wilson
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
I agree with Scott in some ways, only my approach is a little better I think. I wait for some chump to have his fun with a kite or board for a few months and then realize that what they bought wasn't actually what they needed at the time.

I am all set for summer's light winds with a 20.5M SS Machine in perfect shape that I paid $800 for, a 25.5M SS Machine that is like new that I paid $800 for, and an Underground 152 Pro Carbon Magic Carpet that I bought for $400 off of some chump who paid full price named Skyway Scott!!! :P :lol: :twisted:

EDIT: Not insulting you Scott, just having a little fun here...at my friends' expense!!!

Skyway Scott
05-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I paid $475 for that board used and in mint condition off a guy in Cali and gave you a great deal on it. Your approach would not be possible without people cutting you deals (such as the UG)

Buying used gear is a good idea, especially if off of people who kept it in great shape and are selling it at a great price.

toby wilson
05-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Great boards, I'm not really sure why noone has scooped it up yet...blows my mind because if I had the cash, I'd buy it as a backup!

Skyway Scott
05-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Unreal.

I just got back from RIDING... yes I said Kiteboarding!!

Okay... here is the scoop (get some coffee.. this is E-bone'ish)

I got my board, put it together.. kissed it.. took pics of it.. you know .. new board luv!

I am jonesin to ride it, so I hit Cypress at about 3:30. It is blowing ALL of 8-11 (11 max). I forgot my 20m (great I am thinking :roll: ) so I rig my 16m calling myself a loser the whole time.

I hop on in the water in next to nothing and........ UNREAL.. I am riding and going upwind at will. (Oh yeah, it was choppy too.. HOW come its choppy at Cypress ALL the time??!)

Long story short... I was in shock. The board has zero drag.. so it is honestly like riding on ice skates or something. 4 years ago the line of thinking appeared to be.... let's make the biggest kite with as much POWER as possible to power these inneficient POS boards we got.

The new, wiser thinking (IMO) seems to be - let's make a board with the most efficient design to minimize the amount of power necessary to ride, especially in real light winds.
This board is definitely good at doing that. I was planing and moving forward (at about 12knots) with about 8 knots of wind and was really moving out in 10 knots of wind (on a 16m) and jumping (about 5 feet) and having a good time.

Awesome feeling, being powered up in next to nothing. :P